Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been impressed with the OEM Toyota rock slider for the FJ Cruiser, from a design standpoint. They're just too small. They don't offer adequate protection to the body panels. My guess is that they're designed to be marketed to the masses, where 90% of buyers will not even know what they're for. They're pseudo-offroad bling.

However, now I also know that the construction of these is UNBELIEVABLY BAD!

I just started disassembling a set for Speedy, who (reasonably) wanted more width. Rather than waste these, I offered to modify them. My plan is to cut off the outer bent tubing and replace with a more substantial part. The inner rail and the frame mounts I plan to reuse as they're already lined up. It'll save me some time over a complete fabrication.

Today, I began to cut one up. I torched the outer rail off and then began to grind off the welds.

I was shocked to find out how poor the weld quality was. There is absolutely NO penetration.

Here, see for yourself!

After cutting off the excess metal, I ground the welds flat. At this point, I should STILL be looking at continuous metal, but instead, I found this:

The weld had ZERO penetration. The strength of the object was only the amount of the weld build up.

If you don't believe me, here is what I found when I tapped the material off with a hammer blow:

Note that the edge of the tube is completely factory-cut. There is no weldment violating the thickness of the base metal.

Basically, the thing is tack welded together on the sides. I was able to grind that off in seconds. These sliders are held on with less metal than the cross section of a half inch bolt.

This is scary weak. I'd have to call it UNSAFE.

The only reason that these aren't failing on people right and left is that they're so narrow, they don't really take a lot of leverage. If you actually tried to get a Hi-Lift under one of these, though, or tried to pull on it with a winch or a strap to rescue a vehicle... you might be in for a BIG surprise!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Well, I always knew the OEM sliders were SH*T, but I didn't know they were that bad.:simmadown:

I guess it's time to get those Demello sliders and throw those slider bling in the trash!:rocker:

·
Registered
773 Posts
to add to this the frame welds on my ride look like for 1 done by a novice (i dont know how to weld a nice bead but i know what they look like)

All the frame welds are rusting .
remind me to post some pics as i dont have any right now

I go under the fj just to hand wash the frame and noticed it tonight .

Yes we lay salt on our roads 500 tonnes last winter but the rest of the under carriage looks rust free except for the welds.

another funny thing is some bolts on the underside show rust when the twin bolt on the other side does not .

someone remind me to load some pics :cheers:

·
Registered
834 Posts
ya i knew that they were crap but this just shows how bad they are, guess i should of bought something else. But for my type of off roading they do the job.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the beginning of the plan. The angled end goes in front, to slide the obstacles out and to the side. There will be two crossbars and the top gets plated, and the plates get dimple-die holes.

I'm going to reinforce the bejeezus out of it. ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have seen these sliders get hammered time after time and hold up. I have also seen them used numerous times with the high lift. If you don't believe me, check out the Trail Team FJ's that just finished the Rubicon.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to have these sliders... in fact... THESE sliders!

It's a bad idea to hook up a Hi-Lift under them because they're WAY TOO CLOSE to the body metal. If the vehicle shifts, you're putting the jack shaft DEEP into the door.

I'm not impressed by trail team usage. They part out the vehicles after they're done!

I'm still driving mine.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Truth be told Bellydoc has a heart of Gold.

Way back when I first picked up my FJ I was invited to Bellydocs house for a BBQ party. Like all his projects he went out and bought a behemoth of a smoker to cook for a small army and the Az Fj crew was on hand. My FJ was bone stock at the time. My wife and I were comparing different sliders and mods from the various FJ's when Homedad asked BellyDoc if I could have his old OEM sliders and before I knew it the OEM sliders were in my truck free of charge.

So began BellyDoc's kindness toward me. Fast forward a year later and I posted about a project I was interested in and before I knew it Bellydoc PM's and offers to take on the task. Mind you that he has His OWN huge FJ40 Rock crawler project going on. One project leads to another and so began the projects.

Not only did I get free sliders from BellyDoc but now he is modifying them to be even better!

Thanks Buddy! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Truth be told Bellydoc has a heart of Gold.

Way back when I first picked up my FJ I was invited to Bellydocs house for a BBQ party. Like all his projects he went out and bought a behemoth of a smoker to cook for a small army and the Az Fj crew was on hand. My FJ was bone stock at the time. My wife and I were comparing different sliders and mods from the various FJ's when Homedad asked BellyDoc if I could have his old OEM sliders and before I knew it the OEM sliders were in my truck free of charge.

So began BellyDoc's kindness toward me. Fast forward a year later and I posted about a project I was interested in and before I knew it Bellydoc PM's and offers to take on the task. Mind you that he has His OWN huge FJ40 Rock crawler project going on. One project leads to another and so began the projects.

Not only did I get free sliders from BellyDoc but now he is modifying them to be even better!

Thanks Buddy! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

My pleasure! I'm just seriously glad to have a break-in project for some new machines. The bender and software are now calibrated! I've also got a new welder arriving this week and if my fit up is good enough, I'll TIG your joints.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been waiting for your call since yesterday to see if you needed any help to work on either project. Will work for sliders here! :lol:
What can I say... it's July. The interns are so confused, they're running into eachother in the hallways. I go in for "morning rounds" and it turns into an all day affair.

On the bright side, I get to say things like:

"You did WHAT??"

"... did that seem like a good idea THEN? because it looks pretty dumb, NOW!"

"... was this something you actually think you READ about somewhere, or are you just making this up as you go along!?"

"... learn to use your HANDS as if they're actually PHYSICAL EXTENSIONS OF YOUR BODY."

"...are those hands BRAND NEW? ... are you just now BREAKING THEM IN!?"

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Well, I always knew the OEM sliders were SH*T, but I didn't know they were that bad.:simmadown:

I guess it's time to get those Demello sliders and throw those slider bling in the trash!:rocker:
I'm glad I did not get the OEM. I got Demello hybrids -- rock solid. :) The only real function they will serve in Germany, though, where there is very little offroading, is door ding protection and sliding off little Smart cars which are in my way. :lol:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
What can I say... it's July. The interns are so confused, they're running into eachother in the hallways. I go in for "morning rounds" and it turns into an all day affair.

On the bright side, I get to say things like:

"You did WHAT??"

"... did that seem like a good idea THEN? because it looks pretty dumb, NOW!"

"... was this something you actually think you READ about somewhere, or are you just making this up as you go along!?"

"... learn to use your HANDS as if they're actually PHYSICAL EXTENSIONS OF YOUR BODY."

"...are those hands BRAND NEW? ... are you just now BREAKING THEM IN!?"

:rofl: Oh man, I had a boss like you once. :lol: :wave:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts