Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
No OEM but many people do carry their spare on a roof rack.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Was planning to put a tire on my rack for my planned Alaska trip and have given it some thought previously.

Web netting measured to fit the top of the rack would probably work best; something like this: EZ Barrier with Fasteners On 2 Sides. A cargo net like the compact BedNet (30x24") would also work with some modification. See: Compact Bednet.

The Compact BedNet only costs $25 but comes/w stretch cords which would not work, but you should be able to remove the cords and use buckle/cam tie downs to securely hold the tire down instead. The EZ Barrier costs a lot more, but can be cut to fit the top of the rack to hold the tire snugly in place w/adjustable plastic buckles (which can be specified on purchase), but one for the FJ rack might cost as much as $150 for about 6 sq ft (and still requires some needle work to attach the buckles), which seems too rich even for me.

So, modifying the Compact Bednet should work best. :wave:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
why not just use a large U-bolt??? Put the U under the slat, lay down the tire, put the threads of the U-bolt up through two holes in tire, and tighten up nuts onto U-bolt....

That is the way I mounted my spare on my trailer. It works.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
why not just use a large U-bolt??? Put the U under the slat, lay down the tire, put the threads of the U-bolt up through two holes in tire, and tighten up nuts onto U-bolt....

That is the way I mounted my spare on my trailer. It works.
I was thinking about that too.

The U-bolt is the simplest and cheapest idea -- actually a shackle hanger would be better shaped for the job. However, if you're using an OEM rack, the slats on the FJ's rack are really weak and, if you bolt the tire to one, there might be a risk of breakage w/flexing caused by the weight attached to the slat. Probably not a problem on other racks. However, if you use the U-bolt and want to put more gear on top of the tire and/or in the rack, you'll still need to use a cargo net to hold the extra stuff down.

A cargo net on the other hand is more adjustable and easier to remove and attach and, if you have more cargo, you can just toss it on top of the tire and still tie everything down together.

But, in a pinch, the U-bolt idea is elegant in it's simplicity. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks a lot everyone, that U thing sounds good ive seen it before, id like to get the baja rack but right now i have a list of mods waiting to be fulfilled like a blacked out roof, legitimate trail teams bumpers in stead of the half @ssed paint job i did, those new back door windows that open, and a few more...so it looks like its going to have to go at the bottom, but by then ill probably just want the full baja rack LOL

·
Registered
256 Posts
Pics?

Guess no parking garages anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts