Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Has anyone installed the OEM phone controls/bluetooth on an older model? I have a 2010 and I have the controls on the left side of the steering wheel for volume, track/folder, and mode.

This would look very clean, not to mention the ease of having answer/end call on the steering wheel

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
It would be difficult to install into an older model because the steering column wire harness (including the spiral wire unit which rotates with the wheel) would also have to be replaced to do it - maybe if you get all of those parts from a scrap yard (basically the whole column) it would be easier.

However, there is another way: if you buy one of those digital interfaces (iMaestro) from someplace like Crutchfield, for a modern digital radio equipped to operate it, you can reprogram what the existing buttons on the other side do.

On mine, the track up/down will also work to call and hang up, if I hold each of them down >1sec (they still work to move to the next track if I just tap them up/down. The volume up will double as a "show vehicle items", and the down will "mute audio" when I hold it. Mode will "show engine gauges" (info from the OBDII connection).

Pretty cool. But, you need to have a PC to do the programming before you install it. I don't have a PC (Mac only), but found that the folks at Best Buy's auto audio garage are more than happy to do it for you.

Norm "learning every day" Kerr

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I knew it wouldn't be just a plug n play, otherwise the forums would have some info on it.
I spoke w my local audio guy, he suggested the same as you, getting iMaestro, and using the volume and track keys to work as phone controls.
Appreciate you taking the time to explain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts