Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just tried to install my new air dam lights for the stock roof rack. however the rack has pre drilled holes and the screws provided for the dam are to small, the racks holes are massive, does anyone have any suggestions how to counter this?

anyone else run into this problem?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thank you!

·
Registered
464 Posts
ok i just tried to install my new air dam lights for the stock roof rack. however the rack has pre drilled holes and the screws provided for the dam are to small, the racks holes are massive, does anyone have any suggestions how to counter this?

anyone else run into this problem?
The way too large hex shaped holes (4) in the roof rack are designed to have rivet-nuts installed into them. These come with the air-dam but if you got it used you'll have to get new ones. There are several threads that detail how to install the rivet-nuts. Most show methods of installing them without having to buy an expensive tool. McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) is one place where you can order replacement rivet-nuts. Unless Toyota has changed stocking policy the rivet-nuts and special bolts are only available with the air-dam.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The air dam I bought on ebay did not come with the said nuts. I had to drill new holes close to the larger holes. Its worked out great however, and no problems.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you have any pics? and the way my brackets sit its over the pre existing holes so drilling for me will not work:(

·
Registered
52 Posts
I will see what I can come up with as far as pics...but in the meantime, dont waste your time going to Home depot or Lowes looking for the rivet-nuts...been there done that. Both places had no clue as to what they were....you might want to try contacting your local dealership and find out if they can grab you 4 of them.

When I drilled, I managed to get the new holes an inch or so away from the pre drilled ones.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts
If I were you, I would get the correct fasteners to do the job like Toyota intended. You will have to hunt a little to find the stuff if you side step going to a Toyota dealer. What you need is a hex shaped captive fastener{Rivnut is a brand name} that matches the hex holes in the front edge of the rack tubes. These captive nuts are installed much like a pop rivet,but require a lot of strength to set them. Round captive nuts are easy to find, but the hex shaped ones a little tougher. A good bolt/fastener supply house can supply these. I believe the OEM bolts that Toyota used that threaded into the captive fasteners were 6MM Torx. You can download the air dam install instructions from trdsparks.com where it has the proper length of the bolts listed in the parts. Interesting twist though is the fact that the captive hex shaped nuts were left off of the parts list but refers to them during installation. These captive fasteners are all over aircraft. You can buy a cheap install tool from a place called Spruce Aircraft.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow thanks for the info and the detailed write up!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
damn guess ill keep looking

·
Registered
22 Posts
What did u end up useing?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the same issues with the riv-nut tool and did not want to be bothered trying to get one. I set the airdam in posistion and drilled through the rack and used nut and bolt with fender washers to hold it in place. Everything has been on for over 21/2 years with no problems.

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts