Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
My $.02 on head units: I've bought 3 in about 3 years from Crutchfield.

I was always an Alpine guy and probably always will be but I strayed on these last 3 purchases to test the waters.

The 1st 2 I bought were Kenwoods, Kenwoods always had finicky buttons but great sound back in the day. I really like my 2 Kenwoods for sound and the Bluetooth works great, buttons still finicky. The interface takes some getting used to.

In my FJ, I put a Sony BT double DIN in, I bought it bc it was one of the last of a dying rubber rotary knob breed which I love. The stereo is fine, interface took a while to get but the one thing I've noticed is the Bluetooth is real weak. It won't always connect, I damn sure wouldn't call it easy and it won't play from inside my pocket. The Kenwoods will play if you walk 50' away with your phone still in your pocket.

Always hated Pioneer, in the old days Premiers could be nice but Pioneer started cheaping out in like 1999 and they've only gotten worse.

Alpine or Kenwood for the long haul!

I will also mention that IMHO, Alpine has really always catered more to the audiophile and sounds best with high dollar wiring, amps and speakers. It's almost as if their sound is so clean that you have to have every frequency planned out, for some, that's the fun but it costs $

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great input, Jeremy. ATM, planning on getting the Kenwood even before your post. Very happy to have additional reinforcement!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey, also, I cannot count how may aftermarket stereo systems I have put in, started before I had my own license.

BUT, with dimmers, steering controls, etc. these days, I paid the extra $20 for Crutchfield guys to prewire this radio for my FJ, so worth it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay, I officially ordered. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but the wife and I got annual bonuses today, so I think I can hide it.

• Kenwood DMX125BT
  • Kicker 44KSC69304 6"x9" 3-way car speakers
  • ordered all the cables pre-configured, including steering wheel controls
$472 shipped.

Will install myself. Got the trim panel tools for only $12, even though this may be the only time I use them. I didn't have time to find a place locally I could try to listen to the speakers, but I am not concerned whether I will like them.

Thanks again team! Should be delivered next Wed.

Edit: a couple more quick questions...

If I want to "Dynamat?” the doors some, where should I go to get this material prior to equipment delivery next Wed? (Just realized I forgot to look if Crutchfield offers it before pulling the trigger. Ugh. Ah well...give a local merchant some business.)

Where would I go to get a pop-out to set up my USB/Aux cleanly? Local? Website?

Thanks for the 12th time in this thread everyone. (Sincerely.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hijack.

I did buy that woofer, but then started expanding questions as the flipping folks here are so damn kind, knowledgeable and helpful.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts