Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I am going to head out to the middle of nowhere in Mexico with 9 other mexican FJ's. I tried mounting my 35' inch Mikey Thompsons mounted on 17 X 9.5 MT Classic Wheels and it would not fit in the OEM tire carrier.

Can someone give me some advice if there is a way to fit my wheel and tire combo on the OEM tire carrier. I do not want to have the tire inside the vehicle the entire weekend that we are going to be offroading.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am preparing and loading all the crap in the FJ.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Tomorrow I am going to head out to the middle of nowhere in Mexico with 9 other mexican FJ's. I tried mounting my 35' inch Mikey Thompsons mounted on 17 X 9.5 MT Classic Wheels and it would not fit in the OEM tire carrier.

Can someone give me some advice if there is a way to fit my wheel and tire combo on the OEM tire carrier. I do not want to have the tire inside the vehicle the entire weekend that we are going to be offroading.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am preparing and loading all the crap in the FJ.
I am currently running a 37" spare and ran 35's before on the OEM tire carrier. I believe your issue is the backspacing of the wheel. I run 3.75" backspacing on my wheels to make them stick out a little farther and increase track width for stability. If you have factory backspacing on your MT's stack some washers on the wheel studs of your spare tire mount and see if your tire clears. If that works then go get the appropiate thickness wheel spacer and bolt it on. You should only need about 3/4th of an inch. Hope this helps.

JonB

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
I am currently running a 37" spare and ran 35's before on the OEM tire carrier. I believe your issue is the backspacing of the wheel. I run 3.75" backspacing on my wheels to make them stick out a little farther and increase track width for stability. If you have factory backspacing on your MT's stack some washers on the wheel studs of your spare tire mount and see if your tire clears. If that works then go get the appropiate thickness wheel spacer and bolt it on. You should only need about 3/4th of an inch. Hope this helps.

JonB
x2 or some hex nuts might work for your trip :)
Good Luck

·
Registered
634 Posts
Don't know if this will help but I couldn't fit my 17"BBS rim on there either. I ended up cutting about an inch off the end of that black tang that the hub fits over between the lug bolts and then it fit. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You Guys. I'll Run To My Nearest Home Depot To Get Some Washers And Hopefully It Will Take Care Of It For The Trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts