Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I just finished installing the OEM trailer hitch on my 2010, and now I'm working on the electrical but having what feels like a really stupid problem: I can't get the cap off the vehicle harness at the rear to connect the wire harness... There's not a lot of room for leverage in there so I think I'm missing something simple to remove it. I've been tugging on it with vice grips but nothing is moving.

Please instruct this dummy! Thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I remember this being difficult when I installed the harness in mine.

Squeezing the cap with a VISE-GRIP® may be counterproductive since you are tightening the cap by squeezing it and risk breaking the connector.

I just took a look though my box of leftover FJ bits and found the connector cap that was removed. The cap has the connector retention feature similar to the plug on the harness that you are going to install. It appears that you'll need to use a pick tool or small screwdriver blade to very slightly lift the retainer on the connector to release the cap before you pull the cap off. Don't pry the retainer too far or the retainer may break.

Get some bright light and a magnifier and you should be able to see how it works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts