Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far Ive seen a bunch of pix from the Rubicon trail ride and the tire packages the FJC's had on looked like crap.. The only ones that actually looked right to me were the ones on the prototype (I know thats always the case...but). Can see it already, Toyota will mess it up and put those dinky little tires on it and screw up the look it had going. IMO tires and rims make the vehicle or break it (looks). But unfortunately its up to engineering to decide which combination and sizes passes safety standards (which means ugly). Would be nice if they offered some kind of larger dia tire and rim combo, with an aggresive tread. Hell even the jeep rubicon has a decent tire package on it, which sorry to say but looks just right. Just hope that wasnt a glimpse of whats to come. Someone please tell me different.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, I would much rather have rims with a diameter of 15" because tires cost a lot less at that diameter, and you will be able to get a taller sidewall. I also hate huge rims, it just compromises handling and is just another expensive doo-dad that I will just scuff up and damage. It doesn't matter how it looks, it matters how it performs.

But thats just me. If I wanted to my truck to look good, I would drive an Escalade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HMM....I think Im the last person you need to tell that too bro...How does a tall side wall help in performance anyway?.....I remember blowing the beads on my 35's on 15" rims on my FJ40 a few times in the last 15yrs enough to know its sucks....Look at all the rock buggies and notice what alot of guys have switch to....larger rim less side wall more tread on sidewall....less blown beads..less folding...more control. They only thing I like my 35's on 15's is for mud and sand thats it, they suck on road. Doubt anyone with a new FJC is going in a bog.
I highly doubt youll be using a FJC for anything more than some sand and dirt play anyway.....watch that paint sir... come on man if you didnt care about looks just performance then you just go buy a FJ40 or 60 or 70 ect. I think the FJC is very nice looking and Im sure it performs off-road good too, but I dont think Id be slamming my brand new truck down the trails I RIDE anytime soon ...till its paid for in full then ill lift and mod and trail it. Plus I dont want to pay 30k for a truck that will look like **** in 6 months of abuse. to each is own

·
Registered
132 Posts
RatPatrol said:
I highly doubt youll be using a FJC for anything more than some sand and dirt play anyway.....watch that paint sir... come on man if you didnt care about looks just performance then you just go buy a FJ40 or 60 or 70 ect. I think the FJC is very nice looking and Im sure it performs off-road good too, but I dont think Id be slamming my brand new truck down the trails I RIDE anytime soon ...till its paid for in full then ill lift and mod and trail it. Plus I dont want to pay 30k for a truck that will look like **** in 6 months of abuse. to each is own
Well, It's a truck, and I could care less how it looks. I don't care what other people think of my vehicle either, my friends won't care, and why would I need to impress people I don't know and will probably never see again? Scratches and dents add character. I would have no problem hitting the trails in a brand new vehicle. I would buy a Mercedes Galandewagen or a range rover and hit the trails.

I couldn't buy an old FJ because they simply are not available around here, I think I have seen one in my city EVER. I also dd my vehicle, so I want some safety because other drivers can't be trusted.

I guess the sidewall size just comes down to personal preference.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Kinda got to go with Ratpatrol on this one. It may sound good that we don't care about looks or banging the heck out of our rides, but it is gonna be brand new and we all work too hard to just not care. I'm not saying its not going to get used, but lets be honest. That first dent or scrape is gonna hurt.
C'mon admit it, you can see yourself out there putting a coat of wax on it with the neigborhood guys oohing and ahhing with you being the pride of the block. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'll bet 33x12.50x17 All Terrains would look perfect, but guess we'll have to wait to see if there's enough clearance in the wheel wells. I'll order mine with the cheap steel rims and replace them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well your right its personal preference all the way for tires and for the shape your truck is in.....guess you dont care about the same things I care about and thats totally respectable, Im just saying in that quote that I have a rig for that purpose If I was going to spend money on something new I would want it to look nice for ME. Same reason I spent all that money restoring a 73 stingray, I feel good driving it cause its in mint condition now. And the same reason I love a pretty woman.
But this was a post about the OEM tire packages. If you dont care about looks then fine I just dont think they look right they should at least look in proportion to the rest of the vehicle. Im sure the skinny little tire package could be available also. See both of us could be happy with some options. thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oceansports on the money in my books. If 33's fit then perfect.....

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
the tires on the spec sheet on toyota.com spec 265/70/R17s, which come out to 31.6". i doubt there will be a problem fitting 33"s with the correct backspacing. I like the ugly black wheels myself, throw some MTs on there and i will be a happy man.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I know most people won't feel the same way as me. But around here it is an effort in futility to keep my cars pristine.

In the first two weeks of owning my vehicle, I hadn't even had a chance to wheel it yet and somebody decided to hit my bumper while parking, and then drove away. Next day I parked it in the back of the parking lot, out of the way at best Buy, but somehow, somebody managed to dent my left door with a shopping cart. Somebody was throwing away a perfectly good door, so I decided to throw it in back. The door was wider than the car, and I cracked a lot of plastic in back. Somebody managed to hit a golf ball backwards at the driving range and left a nice dent in the roof. I elbowed the center console and knocked that loose, and I broke the head unit in anger because a cassette wouldn't go in.

I could try, but I keep my stress levels way down keeping the attitude that there is a reason they didn't build my vehicle out of plastic. :)

However, that 73 stingray would be a different story. I buy trucks and SUVs with the intent of abusing them, but a nice car deserves my respect and care, which would mean keeping it out of danger zones including: shopping center parking lots, driving ranges, and the vicinity of high schools.

·
Registered
228 Posts
mpd8488 said:
Well, It's a truck, and I could care less how it looks.
You have to keep in mind this is the same guy that drives the Matrix. Of course he doesn't care what his car looks like.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
csherrill said:
You have to keep in mind this is the same guy that drives the Matrix. Of course he doesn't care what his car looks like.
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Besides, thats the wife's car...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Question; I've seen 17x7 and 17x7.5 for the fjc, not sure witch size it will be. I have 17x7 on my 05 tacoma, and the size i wanted (285 65R 17) I was told it would not fit right on my 17x7 rims.They told me i would need a 17x8" rim for that size of tire. Maybe they just want to sell me wheels to??? I sure would like to put a nice size tire on the FJs alloy wheels. Any tire guys out there?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
SpeedwayBlue said:
Question; I've seen 17x7 and 17x7.5 for the fjc, not sure witch size it will be. I have 17x7 on my 05 tacoma, and the size i wanted (285 65R 17) I was told it would not fit right on my 17x7 rims.They told me i would need a 17x8" rim for that size of tire. Maybe they just want to sell me wheels to??? I sure would like to put a nice size tire on the FJs alloy wheels. Any tire guys out there?
I been told you can go up too 2" but more then one causes bad wear. The other issue is not rim but if there is the room in the wheel well, ie turning and suspencion.

·
Registered
132 Posts
csherrill said:
Just where did you get the idea that I drive the matrix from? I have never even ridden in a Matrix. Are you really so insecure that you need to put down other people because of what they drive? Maybe you just want an FJ Cruiser to compensate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts