Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i have been searching the interweb for any some sort of off road driving instruction centre, to no avail! the only thing ive found is in conneticut and virginia, does anyone know of any other, i think part of the problem is that i dont know exactly what i should be typing into my search bar! we call stuff by different names etc in the uk. i had never heard of wheeling before that episode of Top Gear! :p
thanks
Joe

·
Registered
460 Posts
Try to search for some 4x4 clubs... Look in regional sections of 4x4 forums... Ask guys from your region in 4x4 forums/clubs and if they're out there, they'll probably be able to point you in the right direction. Generally speaking, wheeling is something that you learn a lot on your own over time with experience. That said, wheeling with experienced drivers is a blessing if you can. Not only sitting shot-gun at first, but then following better drivers really helps to teach trail reading and learn the way to spot lines.

With anything, experience is key and safety is king. Get out and hit some dirt roads, do some exploring and get comfortable driving off road. Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
There is a very good and active club right in your own back yard. Plenty of members and they have events at least every month. Here is a link to their section on another forum.

The Old North State Cruisers

NC- Olde North State Cruisers

·
Registered
3,087 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
A few things really helped us learn in the beginning. Get someone to go with you that can be a reliable spotter for you. They get out of the car at any time you feel uncertain about approaches or departures and help guide you over, slowly. Unless you take your doors off, it is hard to see how and where your tires are going until you get more experience. Also, just getting out there regularly will help you a great deal, and challenging yourself to do different terrains will help you learn more too! Have fun! If you can possibly afford to do the Bill Burke course that is the ultimate crash course (no pun intended!).

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I first started Researching offroad driving I found this site:
Badlands Off-road Adventures 4 Wheel Drive Training (4WD) and Guide School

It is very informational check out all the links and they offer a cool newsletter with tips and tricks.

They also have a YouTube Channel to get you started on basic supplies, and techniques.

YouTube - 4x4Training's Channel

Bill Burke is one of the Best, needless to say... TRAIL TEAMS

Speaking of which you could learn quite a bit here

Toyota FJ Cruiser Demos & Videos

The mini bulletin has "how to," videos.

That should get you started...:rocker:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts