Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone here bought/seen this snorkel before? FJ Cruiser 2007 2015 Exclusive Air Intake Snorkel | eBay I'm not a fan of the logo/branding on it but I definitely like the mounting location more than having to drill into the fender. Its on the expensive side at $449 plus $55 shipping but pretty sleek if you ask me..

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: "Off Road Garage" Snorkel??

Never seen that one before, looks interesting. I'd be more interested in how it sucks air from the cowl to the engine and how you have to reroute the antenna.
It looks to me like the part replaces the cowl and has a specially molded piece that goes through the plastic above the firewall into the engine bay. I tried to post a picture of the piece but it doesn't seem to have worked.. If you click through the pictures on the eBay page you should get to the one which shows what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts

Pretty cool if it fits ok. Same as the River Raider in routing. Had to do hood hinge cutting to get remotely enough clearance, but maybe the larger panel replacement helps

·
Registered
223 Posts

Doesn't the ARB use the OEM filter box on the 2010+?

I can see how this would fit in a 2010+ but with removal of the oem filter box.

Also installing this looks like it would prevent one from installing Izalusky/Shrokworks washer reservoir relocate kit, which is the only one that really works in a 2014. Not a huge deal, maybe.

I would be interested in a snorkel for the ultimate CAI, dust protection second.

Without being able to turn the intake around I don't know if this would achieve that?

·
Registered
9,680 Posts

It looks like its flow under....its held off the roof a little. I was concerned about water drainage but I think that offset helps both issues.

I like how it replaces that whole cowl under-hood panel. I just left it out on mine with the weatherstrip just laying there :/

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Looks like it would only work on the first-gem FJs while still retaining a filter so I guess the advertisement of being able to fit 07-14 FJs is false. Furthermore, a relocated washer reservoir/2nd battery/sPOD/whatever else that space can be used for might get in the way. This reduces the market but its a cool idea nonetheless.

·
Registered
574 Posts

They talked about this on the Facebook FJ group some a few weeks back.

I rolled the dice and ordered one.

So far they seem to communicate pretty well. They did ask for under hood pictures of my FJ.

Once I get it, I will document the install.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you read the description its says professionally design for the 2007-2009 fj. Also it's made out of fiberglass.

Looks very interesting though

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts

I like it.

Seem to recall one of our forum members was working on something similar (might even be him) he had posted pics of the mock up and asked for input/insight........just can't remember the name......damn old age.

·
Premium Member
4,682 Posts

So far they seem to communicate pretty well. They did ask for under hood pictures of my FJ.

Not to be too skeptical, but there's a few things missing here. And them asking for pictures under your hood doesn't help.

First off, where's the air filter?

Second, why no pictures of the connection between the air intake part and what you see outside the hood?

Third, in the picture from underneath the hood where the hood is open, it doesn't look like the snorkel riser on the A-pillar is installed. It would be visible in the top left corner of the under-hood picture, but I'm not seeing it.

Or am I totally off base here?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

They talked about this on the Facebook FJ group some a few weeks back.

I rolled the dice and ordered one.

Thanks for the response:cheers: I'm curious to see how it all turns out as I've never seen a production snorkel that was routed this way.

Not to be too skeptical, but there's a few things missing here. And them asking for pictures under your hood doesn't help.

First off, where's the air filter?

Second, why no pictures of the connection between the air intake part and what you see outside the hood?

Third, in the picture from underneath the hood where the hood is open, it doesn't look like the snorkel riser on the A-pillar is installed. It would be visible in the top left corner of the under-hood picture, but I'm not seeing it.

Or am I totally off base here?
I'll do my best to answer one by one.
1) On 07-09 FJs, the air filter is inside the area circled on the right.

2) If I understand correctly, you meant the part circled below? I'm not sure how one might manage to get it into that space but I believe this part joins the snorkel itself to the air intake.

3) The hood is blocking my view but I think its there.

·
Premium Member
4,682 Posts

1) On 07-09 FJs, the air filter is inside the area circled on the right.
I see it now, that looks big enough to fit a filter, even if it does seem pretty far back on the engine.

2) If I understand correctly, you meant the part circled below? I'm not sure how one might manage to get it into that space but I believe this part joins the snorkel itself to the air intake.
Yep, that's the "missing link" part. Some parts of that look a little restrictive on airflow.

Thanks!

(edit: fixed quote tagging)

1 - 20 of 120 Posts