Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Re: "Off Road Garage" Snorkel??

Here you go, this is the new version that goes inside the fender.
Looking good!
Now I don't feel so bad about my 5 hour #$%**! Snorkel, as Dave from Trailworx called it.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Looking good!
Now I don't feel so bad about my 5 hour #$%**! Snorkel, as Dave from Trailworx called it.
I am a novice at all this off road aftermarket installations and this was my first try with no instruction provided, too. It would be a little faster if I was to install this snorkel again or it was done by a pro, like Dave.

·
Registered
182 Posts

It was time consuming for me to remove the cowl on the previous version. Pop off all the vents, wipers, clips, and etc. I would have gone for the fender version as well if they had it at that time.
I really liked the unique look of this snorkel when I saw photos of it being installed on your fjc. I did not pull the trigger because I have had plan for the relocation of the windshield fluid bottle and the second battery in mind for a while, and the first version would have taken that under the hood space. As soon as, I saw this new version, I had to have it, even with a slight doubt in mind of whether I was able to pull off the installation :)

·
Registered
10 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but of those who have purchased this snorkel, how has it held up? What shipping method did the seller use to the U.S.? USPS? DHL? Any long term reviews? Anything you would've done differently?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but of those who have purchased this snorkel, how has it held up? What shipping method did the seller use to the U.S.? USPS? DHL? Any long term reviews? Anything you would've done differently?

Thanks.
I have had it since the beginning of this year so I don't have any long term results to report other than I have had to no problems with it. It is shipped by post office. Takes about 1 month from you ordering it until you receive it. Packed very well so no concerns there.

Only real problem is bugs get stuck between the snorkel and the A-pillar and you have to be careful what roof rack you choose to install as it can interfere with the snorkel head.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I have had it since the beginning of this year so I don't have any long term results to report other than I have had to no problems with it. It is shipped by post office. Takes about 1 month from you ordering it until you receive it. Packed very well so no concerns there.

Only real problem is bugs get stuck between the snorkel and the A-pillar and you have to be careful what roof rack you choose to install as it can interfere with the snorkel head.

Hey man thanks for your repply.
Also had a look at your installation thread, casually my FJ is the same color as yours 058 Iceberg.
That thread will become pretty handy hopefully soon.

Regards.

·
Registered
263 Posts

I just bought one 🤭🤭🤭🤭 via ebay

All details here: offroad garage ? Air intake system for FJ cruiser

Super helpful and awesome seller via ebay.
All fj cruiser owners should have this Snokel because:

The advantages of a new design include the following:
Made from fiberglass (heavy duty construction) We are glad to offer for you attention, our durability check video
Painted with RAPTOR U-POL
Very fast and easy to set up, you don’t need to drill any holes, you need just remove right side under windshield panel and set up our Snorkel with using some sealant*. Don’t need any modifications of your car. We provide manuals and will answer any questions.
Everything needed to install including clamps, intake joining pipes, bolts, nuts, screws.

Believe me, It worth every penny. beside it’s not so expensive.
They are not a Company, Its from guys that own small businesses.
we should support them.

I said that from my personal experience, I will write new thread about it, or update here.

Thanks Don,, 🌸🌸

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,836 Posts

how do you like it? how hard was the install? do you have pics of the install and inside the engine bay?
Here’s mine, the install wasn’t too bad but be warned if you have and aftermarket intake you have to seal the gap that occurs because aftermarket CAI’s have a larger air box entrance hole. Other than working that tiny issue out it’s not a bad install.

Attachments

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,836 Posts

Incorrect. They have had a version for the '10 to '14 out for a number of years now. The plenum to the snorkel routes through the fender-well.
Roger that, I have a 2011. Indeed it runs under the inner fender through the corner to tie into the top piece that’s visible.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Here’s mine, the install wasn’t too bad but be warned if you have and aftermarket intake you have to seal the gap that occurs because aftermarket CAI’s have a larger air box entrance hole. Other than working that tiny issue out it’s not a bad install.

What rack are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts

My weekend install. 2010

A lot of creativity is needed to get a proper install. The instructions that come with the snorkel are worthless.

Save the right fender middle support by cutting the bottom attachment points but sparing the top attachment and nut. The instructions say to cut it out. If you do, you will have to re create another one.

I had to trim the inlet piece about a centimeter to fit properly against the OEM inlet.
The fender needs to be trimmed as well, used a Dremmel tool, painted edges and also put door edge trim to protect from rubbing against the snorkel.

The two bottom supports of the snorkel are done with the stainless brackets that come in the kit, bending as needed. The one closest to the front uses the an OEM nut, just use washers for proper seating of the brace.
The one in the back, use a small hole right above the big hole seen in the pics. You can access it with a wrench thru the big hole.

The right fender attachment bolt by the pillar does not fit due to lack of room from the snorkel. Here I had to put the bolt from the underside and put a THIN washer and nut from the top.

The roof rack brace needs to be completely modified. Attach it to the snorkel ant try the fit, then mark the places where you need to re-bend.

The antenna was installed by cutting the aluminum tube in the position seen, much easier to handle small.

I cut the antenna wire and put terminals So I can take the outer half of the snorkel for future Raptor paint of the roof.

Gilbert

PS, Sorry, two pics are not oriented properly... don't know why.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts

A lot of work, but looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts

My weekend install. 2010

A lot of creativity is needed to get a proper install. The instructions that come with the snorkel are worthless.

Save the right fender middle support by cutting the bottom attachment points but sparing the top attachment and nut. The instructions say to cut it out. If you do, you will have to re create another one.

I had to trim the inlet piece about a centimeter to fit properly against the OEM inlet.
The fender needs to be trimmed as well, used a Dremmel tool, painted edges and also put door edge trim to protect from rubbing against the snorkel.

The two bottom supports of the snorkel are done with the stainless brackets that come in the kit, bending as needed. The one closest to the front uses the an OEM nut, just use washers for proper seating of the brace.
The one in the back, use a small hole right above the big hole seen in the pics. You can access it with a wrench thru the big hole.

The right fender attachment bolt by the pillar does not fit due to lack of room from the snorkel. Here I had to put the bolt from the underside and put a THIN washer and nut from the top.

The roof rack brace needs to be completely modified. Attach it to the snorkel ant try the fit, then mark the places where you need to re-bend.

The antenna was installed by cutting the aluminum tube in the position seen, much easier to handle small.

I cut the antenna wire and put terminals So I can take the outer half of the snorkel for future Raptor paint of the roof.

Gilbert

PS, Sorry, two pics are not oriented properly... don't know why.

I just received mine and to your reading it seems tedious to install :(
I see that I have an antenna wire inside but no hole to fix the antenna, I also have a problem the diameter is much smaller than my filter TRD CAI.

That's what you say you should not cut ?

Attachments

81 - 100 of 120 Posts