Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Re: "Off Road Garage" Snorkel??

how do you like it? how hard was the install? do you have pics of the install and inside the engine bay?

For me, I have the Snokel and many other items for my FJ, but still months in hands, but I didn’t have time for the installation yet. because I am in long vacation

I will do the installation after 1.5 months from now.
Very Exciting, I will update you here of course

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts

I made a mistake when ordering, further down the page, you have to send them an email to say that we have a box TRD so that it sends a different tube, we try to find a solution

·
Registered
248 Posts

I made a mistake when ordering, further down the page, you have to send them an email to say that we have a box TRD so that it sends a different tube, we try to find a solution

Is that matter! I plan to buy ACI soon,,
Did you figure out any solution!

·
Registered
8 Posts

Steph99,

The picture you postes is correct, you do cut the back top of the metal fender but will most likely need to cut further out as I did to clear the snorkel properly. I also placed door edge protector to prevent rubbing or you can do heavy tape.

The antenna is modified by cutting the metal tube shorter and using only one of the clamps and bending it. See my attached picture. I also divided the blue wire that came with the snorkel and put some male and female terminals for easier attachment during fitment of the top half of the snorkel. The end of the blue wire goes on the OEM antenna base with a matching screw
The blue wire will BE your new antenna.

There is a lot of fitment, before you actually do your final install, work on the bottom piece until everything matches perfectly and the fender goes on perfectly and then move on to the proper seating of the top piece, making sure it clears the roof and A pillar ( also make sure the hood does not rubb against the snorkel when closing or opening).

PS, it will not let me post pics.... something about "security token "
Email me at [email protected] and I will pass on the pics of the fender support and antenna seating

Gilbert

·
Registered
8 Posts

Was able to upload the pics

the last two pics are uploaded right side up for some reason.

The yellow circle shows the fender support that needs to have the top part saved.

THe antenna wire was routed thru the back opening where there used to be a plastic clip.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts

When cutting the back fender make sure that you cut from the TOP of the fender. The reason is that there is a DOUBLING plate under. You will need to cut thru both in the back side, the lateral side and front side will ONLY need to be cut from top. This is because the back plate is spot welded so it is NOT attached completely to the top side. That is unless you don't mind cutting thru two layers.

G

·
Registered
56 Posts

Ok.. I have a 2011. So I will have to take the fender off to install this? Do 2011s have to do cutting trimming or drilling? I have a stock intake. Sorry all of the different comments that didnt specify what year they had just confused me. Considering ordering would appreciate if someone could clarify these things and add comments. Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts

I really like the design of this snorkel because it doesn't require drilling the fender like most other snorkels, and it appears to avoid interference with just about every roof rack configuration. I have a 2014 TTUE, so non-destructive editing is paramount to preserving the value of my vehicle.

The problem I see is that the connector piece from snorkel to stock airbox precludes the use of a washer bottle relocation and/or 2nd battery installation because the tubing is routed right thru that area in the engine bay.

I've not yet removed the RHS fender, but since the TRD box draws cold air from above the wheel anyway, isn't there a way to route tubing along the upper fender??? Since you're replacing the cowl piece anyway, why can't you just route the tube along the fender and connect where the TRD box comes thru the inner fender???

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,503 Posts

The linkage piece that runs behind the fender to the air box has an insert that’s a pretty tight fit into the stock air box. A word of caution, if you have an aftermarket air box it will not be a tight fit and sealant will have to be applied to seal the transition.

·
Registered
401 Posts

The linkage piece that runs behind the fender to the air box has an insert that’s a pretty tight fit into the stock air box. A word of caution, if you have an aftermarket air box it will not be a tight fit and sealant will have to be applied to seal the transition.
Thank you; my worry is more about airflow than fitment - they allegedly make a piece that fits the TRD CAI, which I have. I'm just concerned that some of the snorkel's inner diameter might be narrower than what I'm currently sucking air through. It's hard to get a sense of size - especially potentially small differences - from the photos.

·
Registered
316 Posts

Thank you; my worry is more about airflow than fitment - they allegedly make a piece that fits the TRD CAI, which I have. I'm just concerned that some of the snorkel's inner diameter might be narrower than what I'm currently sucking air through. It's hard to get a sense of size - especially potentially small differences - from the photos.
So I made the mistake of not seeing that they had a model for normal air box and a model for those who have the filter TRD.
So they asked me to take a picture of the TRD exit with a meter to see the diameter.
They made me free and sent a sleeve.
I stuck it all with bostik black

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,503 Posts

Yea I ordered mine not knowing about the TRD version but it doesn’t seem to restrict it at all in fact it seems to run better than before.

·
Registered
494 Posts

I have been following the different installs of this snorkel and have a couple of questions .
Also a request.
Does anyone have right side view of this unit installed? If you do, please share. I have the Baha flat rack and am concerned about possibly having to modify my rack to make this work.
My other concern is air flow will this unit work well with my Magnuson supercharger? To be more specific , I would order the unit that hooks up to the stock pre-cleaner.
I'm hoping this will work, I like the clean design.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts

I have been following the different installs of this snorkel and have a couple of questions .

Also a request.

Does anyone have right side view of this unit installed? If you do, please share. I have the Baha flat rack and am concerned about possibly having to modify my rack to make this work.

My other concern is air flow will this unit work well with my Magnuson supercharger? To be more specific , I would order the unit that hooks up to the stock pre-cleaner.

I'm hoping this will work, I like the clean design.

Thanks

Regarding your first question, one of the admins on the Colorado FJ cruiser Facebook page installed this snorkel with the Baja flat rack. The wind fairing comes down and is touching the snorkel head. He said he “squeezed” it in there.

Here are some photos from his install taken from the Facebook post for reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts

One picture is worth a thousand words.
This answers my question. Once I find out about air capacity for a supercharger , the moths in my wallet will be set free:clap:
Thank you for the pics

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts

One picture is worth a thousand words.

This answers my question. Once I find out about air capacity for a supercharger , the moths in my wallet will be set free:clap:

Thank you for the pics

Checkout his build thread and send him a message. He has a magnussen supercharger and this snorkel. He also has some dyno testing results in his build thread

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/629826-101firedogs-fire-dog-arca9.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey like the idea but I am concerned about snow? I live in Michigan and things get icy here if parked outside. Has anyone had that issue?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also is there anyone have a dual battery set up with the first design snorkel (cowl)? Plus a TRD intake?

101 - 120 of 120 Posts