Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Off Road Light Switch Pin Config?

16K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  SKINUM 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know the pin configuration for the "Off Road Switch"? I wired it up like the AUX Light switch pin config, but it works backwards?

Electronics Technology Electronic device Router

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Off Road Switch Pin Config?

Does anyone know the pin configuration for the "Off Road Switch"? I wired it up like the AUX Light switch pin config, but it works backwards?

View attachment 24350
I believe this post might help some:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ight-switch-oem-part-number-2.html#post822057

Hey, I was about to do the same mod on my FJ.... Did you use the switch harness that is for the auxiliary lights with that roof light switch??? I have bought that same roof light switch, and I bought the auxiliary switch harness (as well as relay)... But when I received them, I noticed the roof light switch is 5 pin, and the auxiliary switch harness is 6 pin, so I was wondering if it would work correctly....

#3 ·

I believe this post might help some:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ight-switch-oem-part-number-2.html#post822057

Hey, I was about to do the same mod on my FJ.... Did you use the switch harness that is for the auxiliary lights with that roof light switch??? I have bought that same roof light switch, and I bought the auxiliary switch harness (as well as relay)... But when I received them, I noticed the roof light switch is 5 pin, and the auxiliary switch harness is 6 pin, so I was wondering if it would work correctly....

OK, first off, the harness for the 35070 switch (AUX) and the 35072 switch is the same.

As for teh 35072 (Off Road) The missing pin on the 35072 switch is because the pin that provides latching power (pin 3) for the relay also provides power to the illumination bar of the switch. In the case of the 35070 switch (AUX) you need to power the illumination bar (pin 2). To do this you jumper between the out to relay pin and the power to the illumination bar. They just made it easier for you with the Off Road one. Here is a recap based on my old Aux wiring post that provides switch backlighting when parking/headlamps are on (same as other backlit fj switches):

AUX Switch

1.Illumination Circuit Power-splice into wire 4

2.Illumination circuit Ground- ground it

3.Switch power – Spliced into marker/headlamp tap

4.Line out to relay- wire to relay

5. Ground for Backlight- ground it

6.Power for backlight – splice into wire 3

To make a long story short there are three circuits

Illumination Circuit (Pins 1 and 2)
Switch circuit (Pins 3 and 4)
Backlight Circuit (Pins 5 and 6)

Off Road Switch

1.Illumination Ground – Ground it

2. Missing

3.Line out to relay- wire to relay

4.Switch power – Spliced into marker/headlamp tap

6.Power for backlight – splice into wire 4

Here you also have really only two circuits

Illumination and Switch Circuit (Pins 1, 3 and 4)
1 provides ground for the actual bulb, 3 provides line to relay and 4 provides switch power
Backlight circuit (Pins 5 and 6 )

Hope this helps
Jay

#11 ·

You may be correct if using Toyota's approach. I did not want to be constrained by Toyota's desire only to have the lights on when my hi beams were on. In order to do this, I bought the Toyota harnesses and cut the end off that didnt mate to the switch and wired it to my own relays, ground, and power source. Now I control what happens when. If you are using Toyotas wiring you shouldnt have to worry just plug and play.

I responded to your PM, but if you guys still have questions, you can email me at cjmartin@dmbfans.net.

Later
Jay
Thanks for your time and your help. I have been trying to figure out how to turn the OEM AUX lights at will and without the highbeams.

Test:
I cut the wire in pin 4 location between the diode and the switch and then hooked it up to a direct 12v source.

Outcome:

Lights turn on and off by the switch at will BUT when I turn on the highbeams then the Aux light turns off.

Problem: Adding the 12v source to pin4 should have eliminated the headlamps from the circuit?

Thanks,

#12 ·

Thanks for your time and your help. I have been trying to figure out how to turn the OEM AUX lights at will and without the highbeams.

Test:
I cut the wire in pin 4 location between the diode and the switch and then hooked it up to a direct 12v source.

Outcome:

Lights turn on and off by the switch at will BUT when I turn on the highbeams then the Aux light turns off.

Problem: Adding the 12v source to pin4 should have eliminated the headlamps from the circuit?

Thanks,
A few questions. First does the illumination bar on the switch (the green bar) light when the lights come on and go off when the lights are off if the highbeams are off? Does the switch backlighting work (meaning when the other switches like ATRAC, Parking are backlit is this one too?)?

How are you at electrical stuff? I can help you work around it, but you will need to check some things. Depending on your answers above, I can help you work around to get it to work. I bypassed all the Toyota wiring and it was pretty quick.

Jay

#6 ·
I have PIAA 520 on my front bumper using the OEM wire harnesses and the OEM AUX switch.

Like Toyota wanted you can only run the lights when you have the high beams on and you press the aux switch (6pin) where you will see the LED confirmation light also turn on. If you turn just your high beams off then it cuts power off from the confirmation LED light and your Aux lights turn off even though the switched is pressed in. Again all like Toyota wanted. I am trying to figure which wire to jump or find this diode to by pass this.

I also bought 2 factory OEM ROOF light switches. I connected the Roof light switch (5pin) to the Aux light wire harness just to see how it works. It still works the same BUT the LED confirmation light turns on when the high beams are on and it stays lit no matter if the switch is pressed in or out.

1. I wonder if I clip wire number 2 on the harness and let the off road switch do its thing then would it work just like the Aux switch allowing me to now use the off road roof switch rather than the Aux switch?

2.I am not using the roof light harness but I do have my second OEM roof light switch connected. The LED confirmation light turns on only when the head lights are on and switch button is pressed. My QUESTION for those of YOU running the OEM roof lights is if you can explain the operation. Do you have to have the high beams activated?

3. There are three wires on the roof light harness that is located by the A-pillar driver side. Does anyone know the color code and how are those wires arranged?

Cheers,

#7 ·
Speedy, I'm in the middle of installing some roof mounted off road lights myself. I found a pdf of the wiring diagram at

Toyota FJ Cruiser: Resources & Documentation Archive

Start looking on page 307 and follow the diagram for the off road lights, the connector located in the a-pillar is identified as "R1". The green wire in that connector is the power supply wire for the off road lights.

Also, the wiring diagram for the off road lights does not involve the high beams, as do the aux lights.

I'm trying to access the inside of the main fuse box, to connect my own wire to the off road light relay and bypass the a-pillar wiring harness completely. When I have success breaking into this box I will post some pictures.

#14 ·
If you chase down the wires going to pins 1 and 2 find which Toyota uses as the ground. In your PM I think you said you did this. If you cut the wire of those two that is NOT the ground, and splice into the wire on Pin 3 of the harness I think your switch should work as you want. In this case when the switch is made you send 12V that comes in on pin 4 out to the relay on pin 3. When you send 12V out on pin 3 it also will send 12V to the wire that you clipped and spliced in and the green illumination bar should light.

As an added question, are you trying to wire up a set of IPF lights? If so you should have gotten all the stuff you need to make it work. If that is the case, I would use the IPF relay and just use the Toyota switch and harness sliced into the IPF harness. If this is what you are trying to do, I would go about it differently.

Later
Jay

#15 ·
Pin 2 is the ground that connects to the chassis. The IPF with OEM off road switch was a separate project that worked fine. I am using all OEM factory switches and wire harness for the AUX lights.

Pin 1 is the illumination so if I read your post right you are saying that this wire should be connected to the relay switch located on pin 3. This would would work fine for the illumination switch but that is not the problem. Something in circuit is cutting the power or rerouting the power to turn off the illumination light and aux lights when the high brights are on.

My question is how is the circuit knowing that the highbright is on or off if PIN4 already has a constant 12v source? Isn't pin4 where the current is coming from for the high brights?

#16 ·
I need to reiterate for those that might look at this post later that my wiring diagrams i have posted are for wiring aftermarket lights using either the AUX or OFFROAD switch. I purchased the toyota harness so that I didnt have to solder to the switch but in all cases I did not use a Toyota relay, etc. I used the relay and harnesses that came with the IPF, Hella, PIAA lights and figured out how to wire to the factory switches. I never tried to figure out Toyota's logic since I didnt want my lights to work the way they wanted them too, so I figured out how to make it work my way. I am glad to help, but I have even rewired the AUX bumper mounted lights that came with my Trail Teams FJ to work as I wanted. To do this, I used a new 12V relay (not the Toyota one), the OEM switch and harness and spliced into it behind the switch.

Again I will help anyway I can, but if you are trying to wire up aftermarket lights different than Toyota way, I think you are better off doing it yourself with the materials supplied rather than try to modify Toyota's approach. In my opinion, it is easier and faster in the long run.

Thanks
Jay

#18 ·
In the case you are trying to "rewire" the AUX lights to work different than Toyota's intent, here is an excerpt from a different post of mine: In your case if you want the lights to work on demand, you will run constant 12V to pin 3 rather than a headlamp/marker tap. Just dont forget to turn them off:)

I did what you guys are trying to do. While there are probably a number of ways to do it, here are some options. It depends how reversible you want to make it.

Ulimate reversibility
Purchase 12V 30A relay at auto store for $5 or less
Purchase lamp harness Pt297-35070LH $20
Switch harness PT297-35070SH $30

Medium reversibility
Purchase 12V 30A relay at auto store for $5 or less
Switch harness PT297-35070SH $20

I chose the medium option. Remove the radio bezel to get at the switches in the center switch bank. Disconnect the plug from the back of the AUX switch. Wire the new switch harness per directions in this post or original post which is linked to in this post. Essentially you need to tap power off the head/marker lamp. This becomes the power used for the backlight of the switch and power used to latch the relay. Find the connector bewteen the harness coming from the firewall and the harness coming from the lights (located on the driver's side right over the wheel well). Cut the harness on the LIGHT side of the connector leaving you enough to splice the connector back on later if needed. If you dont like this option buy a new lamp harness and cut the connector off it. There are two wires in the lamp harness. These are power and ground. The ground I think has a black stripe. Ground the ground to a body ground. Take the power wire for the lights and connect to the light terminal on the relay. You should have 3 more terminals on your relay. One is ground, ground it. The other two are power from battery, so connect to red side of battery. Last terminal is line from switch. Here is it in words:

SWITCH
Pin 1: Illumination Power for "Lights On" indicator light
Pin 2: Ground for Illumination circuit
Pin 3: Switch Power (taken from Marker Lamp Tap)
Pin 4: Line Out to Relay
Pin 5: Ground for Backlit Illumination Circuit
Pin 6: Illumination Power for Backlight

Pin 3 and 6 are taken from marker light tap. Pin 2 and 5 are grounded. Pin 1 and Pin 4 spliced together and then out to relay.

The only thing you have to be careful of is the red/green trace wire. It looks like there is a diode shrink wrapped in line. I expect this is to prevent feeding power to the switch from the relay. If you swap the Pin 4 and Pin 3 wires it will not work since the 12V switch power that comes from the marker lamp tap wont get to the switch if you try to feed it through the red/green wire. So if you think you got it right make sure you didnt swap them.

RELAY Terminals
Terminal labeled 30 wire to positive side of battery FUSE IT!
Terminal labeled 85 wire to ground
Terminal labeled 86 wire to line from switch
Terminal labeled 87 wire to power side of light harness you found earlier

Now aux lights function by way of switch whenever marker or headlamps are on. That way if you forget to turn them off it also means you forgot your headlamps which will turn off automatically also turning off your aux lights so your battery isnt dead

Like I said lots of ways I am sure, but this is a fairly easy, relatively cheap, fairly reversible way.

#20 ·
In the case you are trying to "rewire" the AUX lights to work different than Toyota's intent, here is an excerpt from a different post of mine: In your case if you want the lights to work on demand, you will run constant 12V to pin 3 rather than a headlamp/marker tap. Just dont forget to turn them off:)

SWITCH
Pin 1: Illumination Power for "Lights On" indicator light
Pin 2: Ground for Illumination circuit
Pin 3: Switch Power (taken from Marker Lamp Tap)
Pin 4: Line Out to Relay
Pin 5: Ground for Backlit Illumination Circuit
Pin 6: Illumination Power for Backlight
I see.. You are saying pin 3 is the power and not pin 4? I have the 12v going to pin4 and it turns on the Aux lights on demand except when the high brights are on. So maybe in my current configuration I am creating a short that is allowing the pin 3 to act as my relay instead of pin 4 since I snipped that wire from the factory harness?

Thanks in advance for you help. I am sure this is a bothersome for you.

#21 · (Edited)
Here is my setup:

Alll OEM from AUX switch to harness underneath the dash and in the engine compartment. Fuse and Relay are located in the same location that Toyota recommends.

Here are the pics.

Add a fuse located on a constant power source (one with the red add a fuse) and pin 4 was snipped and this wire connected in its place to the wire coming from the switch.

Test one:
Picture with the light switch pressed (lower left OEM Aux switch), LED green light on, and the lights on. PLEASE Note that the headlights are NOT on because I routed the 12v source to PIN4.

Test 2:

headlights on, Backlight on, switch pressed in, led on (shows red in pic but it is green) and the Aux lights are still on with the headlights now.

Test3:

Now same setup as test 2 but with the high brights on and you will notice that the LED on illumination has turned off and the Aux lights are off.

I hope this helps in helping me.

#23 ·
TEST 4: Swap Aux with Off Road switch on the OEM AUX wire harness.

For grins sake I took out my OEM "off road" switch and installed it in the Aux location. Here is what happens.

1. Switch pressed in and the lights turn on but NO LED illumination.

[/IMG]

2. Switch pressed in, headlights turned on, backlight turns on and the lights are still on but NO LED illumination.

3. Switch pressed in and highbeams on, backlight still on, lights are now turned OFF but the LED illumination is ON!

Summary
Highbeams on and the LED illumination is on with the Aux lights OFF ;High beams off and illumination switch light is off and the Aux lights is ON.

Picture of OEM AUX wiring with pin 1 starting from Right.

Picture of OEM off road wiring with pin1 starting from the top.

Hope this helps.

#24 · (Edited)
My guess is that Pin1 is the Highbeam power link that not only illuminates the LED but some how in the switch when pressed in sends power from pin 1 to the relay(pin 3) to trip the lights on.

So putting 12v to pin4 links pin 4 and 3 (to relay) to give power to the relay and it works all the time except for when the highbeams are on.

When the high beams are on then it must put pin 1 (power from highbeam) and 4 (12v constant) in the loop and somehow send the power to pin 3 but since the relay is already tripped to on then the extra power from pin 1 shouldn't turn the lights off UNLESS when the high beams are on it is looking for some voltage from diode portion of Pin 4 that was set to the side to complete the circuit?

Maybe instead of cutting the wire I should have probably jumped the 12v source to Pin4 so that power flows to the switch and to the wire harness back to the system?

If I just feed 12 v only to the illumination pin1 then it might work like I wanted BUT the LED light will always be on.

#26 ·
Here is what I would do. Hook wire 4 back up to the harness temporarily. Go through your exercise again with a voltmeter, measuring each pin of the harness against a chassis ground for your different scenarios. It may shed some light on exactly what is going on. In particular what changes from switch activated, headlamps on to switch activated, headlamps on, highbeams on.

If my hunch is correct, the easiest fix to me is to supply 12V to Pin 4, clip the wire going to pin 1 (assuming that pin 2 is the ground, which you can confirm using your meter) and splice the wire coming from pin 1 on the switch into the wire coming from pin 3. In this case, you supply 12V to pin 4, you make the switch which puts 12V to pin 3 that fires the relay. It also then puts 12V to pin1 and lights your illumination bar. The only thing that concerns me is that your lights go out when your high beams go on, meaning maybe there is some interconnect between the highbeams and the line out to the relay. Without a diagram, the only way to figure it out is to troubleshoot with a meter.

Report back and we can go from there.

Jay

#27 ·
I don't think it is the wiring which is why I stated that I need to stop thinking about my IPF wiring with the OEM switch which is setup the same way you are describing.

It is an interconnect somewhere in the ECU maybe?

I need to take the schematic and figure it out. Thanks,

#28 ·
If you meter it you can at least confirm what is going on. I think perhaps (and this is a guess) based on what you saw in your tests that there is some interconnect between the line from the switch to the relay and the high beams. Something like a situation where if the high beams are on the power to the relay coil is cut off.

I will try to look at the wiring schematics this weekend. I have the pdf that someone linked on this thread, but the info on Aux lights looks a bit sketchy.

Jay

#29 ·
WV FJ,
I finally got around to tearing the counsel since I was hard wiring my CB.

1. Snipped number 1 wire. No change in functionality other than losing the indicator light now which I knew it would but this was a test before connecting it to the relay out wire.

2. Connected it to the relay out wire to give the indicator light back its functionality but the lights still cut off when I hit the high beams.

Since the number 1 wire is just the indicator and did not improve the functionality I re-attached it as it was before.

I have concluded, for the OEM AUX lights setup, that the mechanism that is killing the lights has to do with something else outside of the switch and wire. There must be a second relay sensor or something.

#30 ·
I tried this wiring solution posted by WV FJ (aka Jay) but could not get it to work when I went to wire a of PIAA 1500 back up lights using the off road switch and harness.

When I attached the red wire with blue trace (PIN 1) to a ground, the green wire with purple trace to the power out of the relay, and the red wire with green trace both the green LED indicator light and the 1500's stayed on indepent of switch actuation.

The solution that I found for my set up was this:

redwire with blue trace (PIN 1) goes to power out from PIAA rely
PIN 2 missing
Green wire with purple trace disconnected/capped off/ not in use
red wire with green trace (PIN 4) connected to return power from switch.

Now everything works fine. Green LED comes on when OFF road switch pressed on and PIAA light come on as well.

The backlight feature works when the grey wire at the switch end of the harness is grounded and the green wire with silver/grey dots from A-Trac switched is tapped. Any feed back welcomed.

kroley

#31 · (Edited)
Need some help here.....

I'm trying to wire some Rugged Ridge HID's to the offroad switch that is pictured below. The Rugged Ridge has a red power wire that connects directly to the battery and then feeds back into a inline fuse and then into the relay. Then there is a black wire that comes out of the relay and is used to attach to a 3 prong switch that comes with the rugged ridge HID kit. I can attach a ground wire and this black wire to get the Rugged Ridge switch to work and operate the light. However, the offroad OEM switch becomes a problem for me. I wired in this configuration:

Off Road Switch

1.Illumination Ground – Ground it

2. Missing

3.Line out to relay- wire to relay

4.Switch power – Spliced into marker/headlamp tap

6.Power for backlight – splice into wire 4

I tried taking PIN 3 and tapping into the relay wire and then taking PIN 4 and placing it into the open Marker/headlamp fuse location in the fusebox. However, this just supplies constant power to the lights and I can't turn them off.

I also tried running the BLACK wire from the HID lights and attaching it to PIN #3 and again using the fuse location in the fuse box. However, when I turn the HID lights on the head lights cutoff.

So, what am I doing wrong? Should I not use the fuse box location and tap into the headlamp wire? I'm trying to add the switch to one of the two slots that are located on the left side of the steering wheel. If I do need to tap into a wire to make the lights function properly what color is the wire that I should be looking for?

I'm tempted to just use a 3 prong switch and forget the OEM switch but i'd prefer the stock look if possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.