Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the use of offroad lighting installed in the rear after market bumpers are being hooked up as the back up light using the reverse light stock wiring to trigger the relay? If so, how does it effect the life or the lamps in the lights being turned off & on so much during daily driving.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
like anything else, the more it is used the greater the failure.

i doubt that is something you should worry over.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
like anything else, the more it is used the greater the failure.

i doubt that is something you should worry over.
I agree with you about not woring about it. I was just wondering if that is how some people are doing it and if it created any problems. I probably should have selected my wording a little better. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
personally, i would rather have them on their own switch.

i dont want to blind folks behind me every time i back up.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
personally, i would rather have them on their own switch.

i dont want to blind folks behind me every time i back up.
I was thinking along the same line. That is probably the best idea anyway. Thanks for the advice. Their own switch it shall be.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I put a set of Rigid Dually flush mount flood lights on my rear wings, ran the wiring up to the rear lights, and whenever I put it in reverse, they let people know I am backing up. They are extremely directional, so they would be at their merciless, only for a second, as the angle changed. They are great for up here in the dark. To me, this is what backup lights SHOULD be.:bigthumb::wave:

P.S., I have a pair on the front wings, also, hooked up to a switch under the dash.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea If the lights are switched by their self and some one runs up on your a$$ at night and tailgates, just touch the brakes a little and hit the switch at the same time and they will $hit all over their self. Just kidding.

·
Registered
456 Posts
As others have said mounting it to a Bandi mount works pretty well. It looks like it was meant to be there and the wiring is pretty simple. I have a diffused light on the Bandi and it lights everything up behind me very well.

Reactions: Crashn

·
Registered
792 Posts
Nice--You just run the wire through the rubber "bellows/boot" that waterproofs the wires that go into the rear door? I'm mounting two single Vision X up on the roof rack and am trying to avoid cutting that boot.

Was hoping the rear sonar sensor was supplied juice when the shifter goes into reverse, but haven't confirmed if that will work as a trigger. From the schematic it looks like it could work.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I just ran the wire under the mount and then passed it through the rubber grommet the factory wire runs through. Then I applied a clear silicone around the wire to seal it so water doesn't come through the grommet into the vehicle. The only pain was the wire supplied from Rigid wasn't long enough to go from the battery to the rear door on it's own so I had to cut it and add about 5 feet of wire to the harness. Not a huge deal but I was doing it in the dark and dropped my soldiering iron, caught it like a dummy, and burned the hell out of my hand.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just ran the wire under the mount and then passed it through the rubber grommet the factory wire runs through. Then I applied a clear silicone around the wire to seal it so water doesn't come through the grommet into the vehicle. The only pain was the wire supplied from Rigid wasn't long enough to go from the battery to the rear door on it's own so I had to cut it and add about 5 feet of wire to the harness. Not a huge deal but I was doing it in the dark and dropped my soldiering iron, caught it like a dummy, and burned the hell out of my hand.
Very nice looking hook up. The light has nice coverage also. :smile

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would it be possible to see some pictures of how the wiring is run in the rear? I am trying to run it from the front dinner side to the rear (done) and out to me bumper but did not see a spot to have the wire exit the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I ran mine to the backup lights and they all switch on together when trans is in reverse.

·
Premium Member
12,303 Posts
I mounted mine on these 2007-2014 FJ CRUISER REAR TAILGATE LIGHT MOUNTS for a number of reasons:

The give me lots of light when loading/unloading my trailer or hooking it up
Parking lot beacon - people know when I'm backing up and stay out of my
General light for reverse so I can see where I am going
But I never flash tailgaters with them.....

Tied into a separate switch for independent control.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts