1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
That looks like a great off road trail, it's just a little too expensive to buy.:simmadown: I would rather go rent one for a weekend trip.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Holy crap that thing is AWESOME!
I agree! My big concern is the big footprint it requires for camping - it is hard to find that big of a level spot.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow That hting is cool !! I agree it would be hard to find a level camping spot on trail.. But still cool to look at..
It might also be a tad heavy (1700+ lbs.) for a true off road trailer/camper...

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
I have been stewing on that thing all day..... I finally came to the realization that we will be camping in the heat and I hate to say it (I want AC) so I am thinking that we would need a pop up that has a roof mounted AC unit. Please, let me get my asbestos underwear on before the flaming begins........

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
As a nice alternative SylvanSport | IT (as originally linked to by MusicMan07 in another thread).

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
HMMMM, looking at the solar system, ie: mounted angle in relation to sun. Probably only have a couple hours at best of morning sun or evening. I sure cant see breaking camp twice a day to track the sun.?????

BirdMan

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HMMMM, looking at the solar system, ie: mounted angle in relation to sun. Probably only have a couple hours at best of morning sun or evening. I sure cant see breaking camp twice a day to track the sun.?????

BirdMan
On their website (Trak Shak > Trailer Campers <) under "EXTRAS" they appeared to have thought about that.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
With three, what appear to be 85 watt solar panels it would not take long to charge the system in normal sun. It most likely uses it as it moves down the road, except with the boat on it.

Neither it or the sylvan would survive in what we tend to put our vehicles through is my guess. The sylvan would not make it very far with the suspension, wheels and fenders depicted in their picture.

You have to decide what you want. A real off road trailer, or a foo foo trailer. Of these two one is a pretty descent off road trailer, the other is for people who camp in state parks on paved surfaces. Leaving it at the trail head. The other appears to be able to do some trails on the west coast, but not many of the tough ones, not enough ground clearance, tire size and a lot of overhang. More for desert runs is my guess, but those would be low speed.

But most looking for trailers are not the serious off road camper. No disrespect for those that love the air conditioner, running water, hot water, and the likes. The wife fits that camper to a tee. Even though I build off road trailers, and a pretty good one, we still take the 40 foot fifth wheel when we go camping, it is not worth the hassle of listening to her for weeks at a time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts