Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be great to be able to buy the FJ without any upgrade packages. Skip the power windows/door locks, delete the stereo and cheap speakers, delete the spare. In addition, it would be nice to be able to order specific options rather than just the "packages."

For all of us who are replacing these items with better parts, we're are needlessly paying for everything twice.

I realize that in some cases it is easier to include some options on all vehicles in order to standardize production . . . but at the same time this makes me wonder if Toyota's Production System is all that it's is cracked up to be.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It would be great to be able to buy the FJ without any upgrade packages. Skip the power windows/door locks, delete the stereo and cheap speakers, delete the spare. In addition, it would be nice to be able to order specific options rather than just the "packages."

For all of us who are replacing these items with better parts, we're are needlessly paying for everything twice.

I realize that in some cases it is easier to include some options on all vehicles in order to standardize production . . . but at the same time this makes me wonder if Toyota's Production System is all that it's is cracked up to be.
Your dealer must not like having business...I wasn't thinking whenever I purchased my FJ and I asked for a base model and I got a base model...wasn't thinking about the locking rear diff at the time...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Your dealer must not like having business...I wasn't thinking whenever I purchased my FJ and I asked for a base model and I got a base model...wasn't thinking about the locking rear diff at the time...
Really, you found one with no power windows or door locks, no stereo? What about a/c? I didn't even know that existed in an FJ. I wouldn't mind having something like that, not only to keep from spending the money twice, but lots of times when things get around 10 years old, all that fancy newfangled stuff like window motors and disc changers start breaking parts.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Not even an option in Canada (maybe the market is just too small outside the US) - three packages (in 2007) - take them or leave.
Basically if you wanted a rear locker - you had to take a bunch of other items...

·
Registered
499 Posts
i noticed this when i was looking on the toyota website, trying to build my own and get a price, the packages pissed me off, i wanted what i wanted and not the extras. the tt completely through this out but whatever :p

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I have a base '07 with the rear locker. In '07 this was an option. I have power windows, locks and AC, but no window tint in the rear, no cruise or remote keyless entry, or any other fancy stuff. Saved me lots of $$ for upgrades. :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have a base '07 with the rear locker. In '07 this was an option. I have power windows, locks and AC, but no window tint in the rear, no cruise or remote keyless entry, or any other fancy stuff. Saved me lots of $$ for upgrades. :)
You and me have some rare FJs. I spent my $7,000 on a winch, bumper, offroad lights, sliders, a second set of wheels and tires, a lift, new rear links with mounts, seat covers, a full set of skidplates, AND tint. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I originally had an 08 Sandstorm lined up with 4x4 and locker only for around $24K. However, like a moron I really liked idea of a six disc changer and sub (not knowing that they were both crap). That alone started me looking at other FJs and I ended up with upgrade #2 and a package with sliders and some other stuff for around $28K dealer invoice. Had I been smart about it, I would have taken the 24K FJ and had 4K for aftermarket stereo, better sliders, suspension, tires/wheels, and more before hitting 28K. Live and learn . . . but what's done is done.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I did that but forgot the rear locks I ask for bone stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts