Discussion Starter #1
Official 2019 FJ Cruiser Florence Beach Run

2019 Official Beach Run - Florence, OR

WHERE:*
Florence Oregon*

WHEN:*
Thursday March 28,2019 - Sunday March 31, 2019

REQUIREMENTS*
Oregon ATV Type II permit and safety flag.
Oregon Parks and Recreation Department: ATVs ATV Permit Agents
Buy your permit and flag at:
True Value hardware store at the Dunes Village Shopping Center, 1750 OR-126, Florence , OR.*
The Sportsman also sells them at 249 US-101, Florence, OR.
BI-MART. (not sure if they still do permits) On main street as you enter town.
4310 Highway 101
Florence, OR 97439
541-997-2899
Florence Bi-Mart*#644*: Monday - Friday 9 am - 8 pm; Saturday 9 am - 6 pm; Sunday 10 am - 6 pm

PLACES TO STAY:
Camping: Jesse Honeymoon State Park is the best place to camp/trailer if you don't mind the cold and rain.
Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department: Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State Park

HOTELS/HOUSES
There are a few hotels in the are if your significant other doesn't want to camp... Also there are several house rentals which I would recommend if you have a few people in your group.*
Florence Hotels: Compare 11 Hotels in Florence with 2,679 Reviews | TripAdvisor

WHAT TO BRING::*
CB Radio, shovel, snatch strap and air compressor. While there will be several rigs with winches and many bring shovels and snatch straps. It's good to carry your own shovel and snatch strap in case you decide to wander off on your own and get stuck.*

CB Channel:*

AGENDA:
Thursday - 6:00PM Early Bird Night run at South Jetty Staging Area
Friday Day - Meet at 10am at South Jetty staging area.*
Friday Night - 6:00PM Night run at South Jetty Staging Area
Saturday Day - Meet at 10am.*
Saturday Night - Plan Your own
Sunday - morning breakfast (TBD). Head home.

Meeting Area:
South Jetty OHV staging area.

MAP AREA Information
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/siuslaw/recreation/recarea/?recid=42475

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS TO HELP WITH LEADING SOME GROUPS. Please message me for more details.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Those who plan on attending will have their names posted here!

Jeff DeBoer
Jeff Herbert
Brian (amaintaylor)
Vimthedog
Randy Winders
MD-FJ2014
CRFJockey
Chewey46
Tbs1684
Daltondrose
BobtailFJ
Brad420
NW FJC
K4M1
Triatron

Reactions: CRFjockey

·
Registered
881 Posts
This event is new to me. Do you need to be a member of any club to attend? Is attending only part of the event an option?

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
This event is new to me. Do you need to be a member of any club to attend? Is attending only part of the event an option?
First time for us last year. The photo threads go back to 2009 and I believe the run has been going longer.

The FJ wasn't a requirement, there were others there. Not a club thing.

Good time!

2018 Florence: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/north-west-region/685801-2018-florence-beach-run.html

2018 Florence Photo: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/north-west-region/701298-official-2018-florence-beach-run-photo-thread.html

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
A couple of us from Idaho have made the trip many times, but I don't think either of us are going this year, or we'd convoy over with you. You can show up for as little or as much as you want, but if you're not in the staging area by 10:00am everyone will be gone and it may be hard to find people in the dunes. The minimum requirements are an ATV permit (sticker), a flag that is at least 9' off the ground, and I believe a fire extinguisher is also required (but rarely gets mentioned). It is also a good idea to bring a shovel, tire deflators of some sort, tow/snatch strap, and an air compressor to air back up.

From Boise, it is a 9.5-10 hr drive, no matter how you cut it. It is just as fast to drive to Florence via I-84/Portland (unless you hit PDX between 4pm-6:30pm) than to drive through Bend, etc.. But I typically go the Bend route because it is more scenic/great beer stops in Bend/less chance of stop-go traffic.

Everyone is very welcoming and you'll have a great time. Each day, people usually break into groups based upon how crazy you want to get (sand novices, intermediate, "I wanna do some things that make me a little uncomfortable," "I wanna jump my rig", "If I don't break something, than I'll be disappointed").

·
Registered
881 Posts
A couple of us from Idaho have made the trip many times, but I don't think either of us are going this year, or we'd convoy over with you. You can show up for as little or as much as you want, but if you're not in the staging area by 10:00am everyone will be gone and it may be hard to find people in the dunes. The minimum requirements are an ATV permit (sticker), a flag that is at least 9' off the ground, and I believe a fire extinguisher is also required (but rarely gets mentioned). It is also a good idea to bring a shovel, tire deflators of some sort, tow/snatch strap, and an air compressor to air back up.

From Boise, it is a 9.5-10 hr drive, no matter how you cut it. It is just as fast to drive to Florence via I-84/Portland (unless you hit PDX between 4pm-6:30pm) than to drive through Bend, etc.. But I typically go the Bend route because it is more scenic/great beer stops in Bend/less chance of stop-go traffic.

Everyone is very welcoming and you'll have a great time. Each day, people usually break into groups based upon how crazy you want to get (sand novices, intermediate, "I wanna do some things that make me a little uncomfortable," "I wanna jump my rig", "If I don't break something, than I'll be disappointed").
Thanks for the info. I carry a fire extinguisher, shovel, tire deflator and compressor, recovery tracks, CB, and a tow strap. I have an extra flag from the ATV, so I just need to figure out how to mount it. I've just purchased some Apex Front Recovery Points and I'll probably order some of Iconic's rear ones as well. It looks like getting stuck in Florence is a thing!

Glad there are route options. My only experience on sand is with my CRF450, and I'd have to say I hate sand on that thing!

Thanks for the info on the route. I can't imagine going through Portland if there's another way!

Reactions: IDFJ

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
There is a really fun Sand Track there Riley Ranch . But they are only open every once and a while . I mite drive up for the day for this .

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
Thanks for the info. I carry a fire extinguisher, shovel, tire deflator and compressor, recovery tracks, CB, and a tow strap. I have an extra flag from the ATV, so I just need to figure out how to mount it. I've just purchased some Apex Front Recovery Points and I'll probably order some of Iconic's rear ones as well. It looks like getting stuck in Florence is a thing!

Glad there are route options. My only experience on sand is with my CRF450, and I'd have to say I hate sand on that thing!

Thanks for the info on the route. I can't imagine going through Portland if there's another way!
You're prepared. Some people just mount the flag with zip ties to the spare wheel. I have a folding mount like this, mounted to the roof rack.

https://www.ebay.com/i/382380711122?chn=ps

·
Registered
881 Posts
You're prepared. Some people just mount the flag with zip ties to the spare wheel. I have a folding mount like this, mounted to the roof rack.

https://www.ebay.com/i/382380711122?chn=ps
That mount looks sweet. Will my A/T tires be ok? How important are skids? I want to get some Ricochets, but I can't decide whether I need more than just the front one. I'm not really a rock-crawler.

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
That mount looks sweet. Will my A/T tires be ok? How important are skids? I want to get some Ricochets, but I can't decide whether I need more than just the front one. I'm not really a rock-crawler.
Your tires will be fine. Skid are not that important at the dunes. Even the stock front skid should be enough.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I got the Bandi Mount for the flag. Google it. Easy install.

·
Registered
881 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am planning to attend the event.
Never took my FJ on sand before, hope it will do well.
Thanx for sharing last yr pics, it looks great fun.!

Thanx
MD

·
Registered
881 Posts
If the antenna is 5 foot or taller, just put the flag on the antenna. Meets the height requirements. I've been doing that for years now.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have 2' and 4' CB antennas, so unfortunately that won't work. I do have the flag already, we run one on our quad when we go ride in the desert with the dirt bikes. I'll either get one of the rack mounts or just zip tie it to the spare!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm thinking about joining this year, this would be my first experience with driving on sand, but I assume I would do alright if I have everything below except a CB radio?

WHAT TO BRING::*
CB Radio, shovel, snatch strap and air compressor. While there will be several rigs with winches and many bring shovels and snatch straps. It's good to carry your own shovel and snatch strap in case you decide to wander off on your own and get stuck.*
What's the weather usually like at the end of March in Florence?

Any recommendations on CB radios? And what kind of flag are people using? I'll try and get some time off work and make a road trip out of it. Maybe hit up Crater Lake before or after the beach too.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Last year I was a week late. We went down to Florance a week after you all were there. I had like 3 people if asked me if I was part of the FJs that were around the week before. I wish I knew, I guess that means I need to log on once in a while.

Pencil me in!!! We have a membership at Thousand Trails, I will tow my trailer there and meet up with you all!! It's been A... LONG... TIME... since I hung out with my FJ peeps. It should be fun!!

Attachments

Reactions: BOBTAILFJ
1 - 20 of 66 Posts