Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to the "official" 2020 Skunks on the Run / Moab to Rubicon Thread ! This is meant to be an information collection , planning and communication site for us all to use ,now and right through the event . It will also be documentation of the amazing adventure we have been planning .

As it stands now we will gather in Moab during the MB4S, the second week in July (5-12) and then proceed to Lake Tahoe around the time everyone else peels off for the Summit . We have agreed that if we spend a initial day on a portion of the Fordyce trail that will be awesome ,then spend the rest of that week ( 15-18th ) running the Rubicon ,maybe with some longer rest / camping days thrown in along the way . End date has yet to be determined as some of us have more time ,plus there's so many great things to see in that area ( Virginia City ,Lake Tahoe .....? ) .

We are looking to be a group of no more than 10 really capable rigs /drivers . So far there are some who have truly committed ,and some very interested but not quite in ,which is cool as its 9 months away . But the level of prep necessary to get through this is , well ..... as extreme as the proposed trails ! So the months are needed . Start now .... get your repair / upgrade list together and ask Santa for gear. And let's keep checking in about progress , parts , packing , travel ect .

This my friends ,is shaping up to be the adventure of a lifetime .

Jeff and Deb

Here is list so far .

Firemedic831 Jeff . ( OR ) . Confirmed
DebFJVT Deb ( VT ) Confirmed
Shrednar Kyle ( UT ) . Confirmed
Jerry . ( TX ) . Confirmed
Iconic Devon ( KS ) . Confirmed
IC 2 . Mason (KS ) . Confirmed
Annas FJ . Anna ( CA )
Thorn Jason ( LA )
Cabin Cruiser Will ( MT )
Come Up winch . Ben ( OR )

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
So enticing, a real challenge for me in case I go (though I feel I'm not yet qualified to be considered a capable driver, and might just be a hindrance to the group). Maybe Jeff, Deb and the rest can make a list of the minimum requirement to make our rigs capable (though this may seem obvious for most). Whichever, I am following this thread and wishing everybody the best to make this plan come into fruition with success.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ramon you are capable Every year you push a little harder . Can it be done in a stock FJ ? sure but i myself do not want to spend all day stacking rocks and pulling line . So for me i would say at minimum . 3 inch real lift not a spacer lift . You can do it on 33 but 35s are what i would suggest . Full skids Sliders .winch and bumper 2 years ago i ran a good portion of the rubicon with just a 3 inch lift and 33s no skids no bumpers and was ok . Now that i have Run the entire trail i would not want to try it like that . I was able to do the entire trail on about 3/4 of a tank of fuel . I have a 4 gal rotopax just in case . I ran the entire trail cleanly until the very end and lost a bolt in my spindle and in turn popped a CV . i had a spare CV so that was a easy fix but that bolt was not and ended up welding my spindle . YOU will use you sliders . You will use your Rear links . and You will scuff your skids . This will be a trip of a lifetime for some and we are going to have a epic time . There was a gentleman that did part of the trail this year with a fj on 33s but he had a difficult time and had some body damage .

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,746 Posts
So enticing, a real challenge for me in case I go (though I feel I'm not yet qualified to be considered a capable driver, and might just be a hindrance to the group). Maybe Jeff, Deb and the rest can make a list of the minimum requirement to make our rigs capable (though this may seem obvious for most). Whichever, I am following this thread and wishing everybody the best to make this plan come into fruition with success.
As a driver I think you’re getting there rapidly and would encourage you to sign up for more local events and challenge yourself! If you go to 35s it will really help with clearance but there will be other mods needed to accommodate them....! We can chat more about that thru email if you like.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Wish I could do this... not worried about the driving but with 32s I would just beat up the vehicle too much and it is my DD.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few things i have thought of , Ice . by day 3 i had only water left in my cooler . I will be either getting a Fridge or a better cooler . Raft . i will be bringing a raft to float around in . There are bathrooms along the trail

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I could easily go 33s without much fuss, but an extra half inch of ground clearance only goes so far.

I'm not willing to go 35s without regearing, and I'm not interesting in spending that kind of money right now. So, my loss.

·
トヨタ Master
5,778 Posts
I could easily go 33s without much fuss, but an extra half inch of ground clearance only goes so far.

I'm not willing to go 35s without regearing, and I'm not interesting in spending that kind of money right now. So, my loss.
I'm still rockin' 3.73s with my 35s. Sure, I'd like to go lower (which may occur very soon), but it wouldn't stop me from runnin' the 'Con. :geek:
By the time I air down, the tires will be 32s again anyway! :LOL:

·
Registered
594 Posts
hmmm Following

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I know some people run 35s with stock gears, but I am not willing to. And some quick math tells me going to 35s is about a $4k exercise...assuming I pull and install the thirds myself.

·
トヨタ Master
5,778 Posts
I know some people run 35s with stock gears, but I am not willing to. And some quick math tells me going to 35s is about a $4k exercise...assuming I pull and install the thirds myself.
I hear ya cluckin', big chicken!* (y)

*CC in no way indicates that one is or is not literally a chicken. It is simply a term of endearment.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,746 Posts
A few things i have thought of , Ice . by day 3 i had only water left in my cooler . I will be either getting a Fridge or a better cooler . Raft . i will be bringing a raft to float around in . There are bathrooms along the trail
I’m glad to hear there’s bathrooms - assume it’s pit toilets? And that’s at the campgrounds?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Definitely following this thread to consider since I was looking hard at the Rubithon(Toyota event) next August. They also have a must needs do list and I fail it presently having 33’s. ( but I do have a 3 inch lift and 456 gearing). Hard to have to buy a new set of 35’s to do this but I am thinking on it...
Otherwise I would be there...

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No there are porta potties . The Campgrounds really are not campgrounds . The only campground really is Rubicon Springs . and you have to pay to camp there . Most everyone goes just past that and camps on the river for free .

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely following this thread to consider since I was looking hard at the Rubithon(Toyota event) next August. They also have a must needs do list and I fail it presently having 33’s. ( but I do have a 3 inch lift and 456 gearing). Hard to have to buy a new set of 35’s to do this but I am thinking on it...
Otherwise I would be there...

Mike
Mike Rubuthon is normally in June and the only reason they pushed it back this year is because of the Snow . The trail can certainly be Run with 33s Its just not easy . Something to Note I had the only FJ on the Trail this past year at Rubithon . with the FJ you have to take different lines than the 40s and 60s and Mini trucks . You just have to look at the trail different . Also spare parts for a FJ will not be found with the 40-60-80s

1 - 20 of 72 Posts