Discussion Starter #41
Well its real now we are going it will come fast

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Update on my side:
Plan A: with whole family - Moab-Summit. That means I'll pass Rubicon
Plan B: whole family can't go or only my daughter Hannah can go, Moab-Rubicon
Plan C: only me can go, Moab-Rubicon or skip Moab, proceed directly to Rubicon (will depend on exact dates of the run)
Question? If I have to choose my mod/upgrade due to resource/budget constraint, which is more practical to prioritize for this run?
1. go 35s from 33s and re-gear (I'm assuming if I'm re-gearing this is both for front & rear, and I would go 4.88)
2. maintain 33s but upgrade lift to 3"

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
3 inch lift build your core first . Do a LT rear set up when and if you go to 35s is is a bit of work to make it work well . yes you can rip around the streets but when you get twisted up the 35s show there head. The exact date is Leave Moab July 13 in the am and get into Ca in the Eve . July 14 play day on Fordyce trail . July 15 prep / repair /relax for Rubicon . July 16 on the trail early AM Make it to Buck island and camp . July 17 Make it to Rubicon springs and camp July 18 ? july 19 we are out and off the trail . As far as Moab Most will be coming in Thur or Fri July 9-10 You are in LA if i remember correct ?

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Ok Ramon i just went back and looked through your ROTM You have taken it on some good trails I think you are Capable . What i would do if it was me . First i would get proper skid plates . Full set of RCI Do not worry about the fuel tank . take your TRD plate off and save it . Make sure you have shock skids and rear lower link skids . I think you have MT lower links ? That will get you through really most any trails . and keep you protected . Next i would go to a Long travel rear set up . It helps alot . and then a Good set of 2.5 Front and rear shocks . The 2.5 rears will allow you to remove your rear sway bar and that helps alot . Crazy to say this but i have never taken my front off . and lastly Well i use that term loosely I would either get a front bumper with a winch or get a hidden winch mount like the MT one to keep you TTUE looking stock . I myself would put the stock bumper in the attic and save it so if you ever wanted to sell you had it . I do like the look of stock bumpers though they just are useless . After all that if you find you need a little more . then go to 35s and re gear . at that time you are going to be pushing your rig to the point you will want a front locker . 4.56 is good . if you daily drive or since you live in CA were its not high altitude . 4.88 if you want more power but may lose a little mpg . I hope you join us My daughter is 22 and would get along great with yours .

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Thanks Jeff for the suggestions and the info above. I will take note and consider them seriously.

Currently, I have a 2.5" Toytec lift kit for front & rear springs specially tuned for the TRD Bilstein TTUE shocks/suspension with a Total Chaos UCA. For the underbody protection, I have a full RCI skid plates (aluminum) except gas and front since I am maintaining my TRD skid plate. For my Metaltech rear control arm, I have the Shrockworks skid (my rear upper control arm is upgraded to Califab); for my rear shocks, I have the FJToyman skid; for my rear differential, I have the Boztec skid; and I have the PureFJ's rock sliders. All these protection have already served their purpose and are already beaten hard in my past trail runs.

My 33's (KO2) is on my stock 16 TRD TTUE wheels with 1.25" spacers (Spidertrax) and have a BMC. I also have the Expedition One rear bumper with spare tire swing out.

IMG_3004 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Califab rear upper link by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Untitled by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Skyjacker by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks Jeff for the suggestions and the info above. I will take note and consider them seriously.

Currently, I have a 2.5" Toytec lift kit for front & rear springs specially tuned for the TRD Bilstein TTUE shocks/suspension with a Total Chaos UCA. For the underbody protection, I have a full RCI skid plates (aluminum) except gas and front since I am maintaining my TRD skid plate. For my Metaltech rear control arm, I have the Shrockworks skid (my rear upper control arm is upgraded to Califab); for my rear shocks, I have the FJToyman skid; for my rear differential, I have the Boztec skid; and I have the PureFJ's rock sliders. All these protection have already served their purpose and are already beaten hard in my past trail runs.

My 33's (KO2) is on my stock 16 TRD TTUE wheels with 1.25" spacers (Spidertrax) and have a BMC. I also have the Expedition One rear bumper with spare tire swing out.

Your rig is more built than i remembered . 2 years ago i ran a good portion of the Rubi with a much less built FJ No skids no bumpers no winch by myself . on 33s . you just have to plan your moves more .

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,666 Posts
Sorry @Firemedic831 I guess I forgot to confirm. Yea I’m in, these types of trips are once in lifetime especially with a group like this.

Really gotta get that Tacobox project started now! @CabinCruiser I wonder have you seen any videos of tacobox install? I may call marlin and see if they have anything on the floorboard shift mod, or I guess I could open the box and look at the instructions if there are any.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,666 Posts

This reminds me I gotta build some link armor and get it installed after I straighten mine out.🤣

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Jason call Wyatt at Rock Solid Toys he is the one that does the installs for marlin and has done the most Taco boxes .

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Also very happy that you are joining us . this is truly going to be a epic adventure (y)

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Current list
1 Deb FJVT . Confirmed and Locked in . FJc . 35s . F/R Lockers
2 Jerry Confirmed and Locked in. lexus gx . 35s F/R Lockers
3 Shrdnar Confirmed and Locked in. FJc . 35s ?/R Lockers
4 Firemedic Confirmed and locked in. FJc . 35s F/R Lockers
5 Iconic Confirmed . FJc . 37s F/R Lockers
6 IC2 . Confirmed . 4runner 35s F/R Lockers
7 Rich Jacot Confirmed . FJc . 35s . F/R Lockers
Thorn ? FJc . 35s
Monoflores . ? FJc . 33s Maybe 35s
IloveKethup for sure will be in Moab . not sure on Rubi yet . FJc 33
Come Up Most likely meet us in Tahoe and run just the Rubicon . FJc . 35s
AnnasFJ Most likley meet us in Tahoe and just run the Rubicon . FJ c . 35s
Motion Mike . ?

since you can not edit after a day ? i will just add to this

8 Thorn Confirmed FJc 35s all the goodies
9 Monoflores Very possible FJc 33s
10 MotioncontrolMike Confirmed FJC . 33s
11 Cabin Cruiser . maybe . maybe not . Time will tell

Ok with trying to keep this a tight Group We are going to try and cap this at our current list . If you are interested in going for sure speak up . Monoflores is still on the fence . and anything can happen . We wanted 10-12 . and we are there .

·
トヨタ Master
6,397 Posts
Sorry @Firemedic831 I guess I forgot to confirm. Yea I’m in, these types of trips are once in lifetime especially with a group like this.

Really gotta get that Tacobox project started now! @CabinCruiser I wonder have you seen any videos of tacobox install? I may call marlin and see if they have anything on the floorboard shift mod, or I guess I could open the box and look at the instructions if there are any.
Jason call Wyatt at Rock Solid Toys he is the one that does the installs for marlin and has done the most Taco boxes .
Pretty much what Jeff said. They also had some pretty good photos on their site, can't remember if it was in the forum or on the gallery section but there's not much to it. You'll have to find out or figure out which shifter to use to get it in the right place in the cup holder. There are quite a few different shifters for different Toyotas that will work in these transfer cases so you shouldn't have a hard time finding one. Heck I've got a few t-case shifters and can send you whatever you need, or I can send what I have and you can see if one will work. Just let me know.

·
トヨタ Master
6,397 Posts
Sorry I couldn't confirm this early guys. I hate to confirm and then have to dip out last moment too. That can be a bummer I know.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
1) DebFJVT . confirmed . 35s f/r locked FJc
2) Shrdnar . confirmed . 35s ?/r locked FJc
3) Jerry . confirmed . 35s . f/r locked GX 470
4) Firemedic831. confirmed . 35s . f/r locked FJc
5) Iconic . confirmed . 37s . f/r . locked . FJc
6) IC2 . confirmed . 35s . f/r locked . T4R
7) Monflores11 . confirmed . 33s r locked . crawl control FJc
8) MotioncontrolMike . confirmed . 33s ?/r locked FJc
9) Thorn . confirmed . 35s f/r locked crawler case FJc
10) Rich Jacot . confirmed . 35s f/r locked
11) CabinCruiser . ? 35s . FJc
12) Come Up winch ? 35s . FJc
13) Annas FJ . ? 35s FJc

Wow what a group !!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I know some people run 35s with stock gears, but I am not willing to.

Who told you. 37s on 3.73 gearing here. It won't slow you down IMO. :p

@Firemedic831 just curious. Is there bypasses to the really tough stuff? Or is it inevitable that you'll just have to bash some boulders to make you're way thru the ol' Ruby?

41 - 60 of 81 Posts