Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That's right ! You read that correctly.

Following on the success and rave reviews of last year's overnight run led by Bill Burke of Bill Burke Four Wheeling America, we are doing it again this year . . . but with one big change. Instead of one night on the trail, the run will now include two nights on the trail. This will put the run on a more relaxed schedule and give participants more time around the campfire to just hang out with new friends and enjoy the Colorado backcountry.

The trail group will depart from Grand Junction on Tuesday morning and arrive at the FJ Summit on Thursday afternoon. There will be a $100 fee per vehicle for this trail run and it will be limited to eight registered vehicles due to permits and camping space.

Stay tuned for qualifying criteria, run description and more details on how to "throw your name into the hat" for this memorable run with BB4WA.

Official run info below !

We have a special announcement to make regarding final details of a new trail offering at FJ Summit X but first we would like to thank you for planning your vacation in beautiful Ouray, Colorado, the Switzerland of America. We look forward to seeing each and every one of you on the trails as we explore this magnificent part of the country, share stories . . . and check out each others cool Toyota 4x4 vehicles.

For 2016, we are offering a "Double Overnight" run led by the one and only Bill Burke of Bill Burke's Four Wheeling America. Bill's trips are always entertaining and educational. This run is only open to those who have attended the Summit at least once before and there are specific minimum vehicle requirements listed in the description below that you MUST meet. NO exceptions. The run will depart at 11-11:30am Tuesday, July 19 from Grand Junction and will arrive in Ouray Thursday afternoon (time TBD). There is an additional $100 per vehicle fee for this run to cover guide and permit fees. This will be collected via Paypal after notifying the lucky few.

There are only nine spots available on this run and we will be using a very simple, non-scientific process to determine who gets signed on for it just as we did last year. We'll throw the names in a hat and pull them out one-by-one. The Summit isn't very far out on the schedule so we need to move quickly with this. If you are interested and meet the requirements listed, you must email your contact info to [email protected] by 6/24. On 6/25 we will pull names and notify those individuals so they can start planning.

Requirements: Again, you must have attended at least one prior FJ Summit to qualify for this trip, 33" tires with LT rating, 1 locker (or working ATRAC), working CB radio (hand-held with external antenna ok), 5 gallons extra fuel, 1 bundle firewood, food/water/snacks for the trip, portable (WAG) toilet suggested, proper clothing and footwear for mountain weather. TRD package vehicles will do fine, strong recovery points front and rear and adequate protection from some rocks required! Roof Top Tents need to be well mounted and might catch a branch or two!! Very small offroad trailers are OK but only if you are very experienced in handling rough terrain with them.

Description: This fun but challenging double overnight that will take us up and across Colorado's Grand Mesa. Known as the "world's largest standing Volcanic mesa," this area has fantastic views of the surrounding country, including the La Sal and San Juan mountains, with lots of lakes, creeks and reservoirs nestled among the aspen, spruce and pine. The average elevation is 10,000 feet and the terrain can be rocky with muddy sections, tight trees and open meadows with great views and scenic splendor galore!

The route (subject to weather and road closure) will follow some of the rough (and easy) tracks to cross this fantastic forest including Lands End Road, Long Slough and others. Flowers and wildlife abound and the many lakes and reservoirs will be full of trout. The volcanic rocks and wet meadows will challenge us along the drive and the cement block CCC sections from days of yore are really a cool part of history! We will camp remote in two different primitive camping areas along the way and relax around the fire. The overnight spots will be chosen based on our day's travels. Please bring 1 bundle of store-bought wood per vehicle so we don't pillage the forest for our camp-fires. Portable toilets are always strongly recommended, cooking on the fire (season permitted) is possible but stoves are usually better. The double overnight nature of the trip will allow more time around the fire than last year's single night trip.

Typically, the thin air, a little mountain storm or two and a few mosquitoes will keep us feeling alive! This will be a "take our time" type trip to enjoy new friends and some fine Colorado scenery! We will have expansive views of the San Juan mountains and the Uncompahgre plateau as we drop down in altitude to the orchard town of Cedaredge while passing lots of local fruit stands on our way to Delta. We will hit Ouray late afternoon on Thursday in time for dinner!

This trip is under BB4WA USFS Permit. All attendees will be asked to sign a Risk Acknowledgement form. No drugs or alcohol during the driving portion (including lunch). Appropriate consumption allowed during the evening camp fire! Remember it will be 10,000 feet!

fka luvshisfj

Registered
Having been on a couple of Bill's guided runs I can guarantee a great trip. Also if you pay attention you can learn a lot from the master.

Registered
Sweet, consider my name thrown into the "Hat" for this one. I do have a couple of questions First, I was one of the millions who didn't get registered for the summit so would I still be considered for this run as I will be an "outlaw" attendee and the second question since I will most likely be bringing my off road camper will the route allow for this?

Thanks again

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet, consider my name thrown into the "Hat" for this one. I do have a couple of questions First, I was one of the millions who didn't get registered for the summit so would I still be considered for this run as I will be an "outlaw" attendee and the second question since I will most likely be bringing my off road camper will the route allow for this?

Thanks again
Registered individuals only.

Registered
Sounds like a epic run! Will the detail be posted on the FJ Summit X web site? If so when? I would like to put my name in the hat for a spot. I am registered for Summit X.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Registered

Registered
Surprised there isn't more interest shown for this overnighter. Or the one that I'm organizing too.

Registered
It has been very quiet here. I would like to have my name in the hat for the run. We are doing medano pass. This 2 day run from grand junction to Ouray would be awesome! But I have not received any emails or contact for this run. Some news would be great so we can plan.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Registered
Surprised there isn't more interest shown for this overnighter. Or the one that I'm organizing too.
I'm up for both but like others I know that are interested none of us were able to register for Summit. We are still heading to Moab and Ouray anyway. If they open these runs up to non Summit attendees message me and we will get in on the action. I had a friend who did it last year and loved it. I'd really like to do it at a slower pace and enjoy the run.

Registered
Disregard my last post. Just realized that the other run is for non registered folks. I'll be in touch.

Well, not actually FOR non registered folks, but they can join us.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
Sign up info for this run will be posted very soon. Just proof reading the text.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #15
We have a special announcement to make regarding final details of a new trail offering at FJ Summit X but first we would like to thank you for planning your vacation in beautiful Ouray, Colorado, the Switzerland of America. We look forward to seeing each and every one of you on the trails as we explore this magnificent part of the country, share stories . . . and check out each others cool Toyota 4x4 vehicles.

For 2016, we are offering a "Double Overnight" run led by the one and only Bill Burke of Bill Burke's Four Wheeling America. Bill's trips are always entertaining and educational. This run is only open to those who have attended the Summit at least once before and there are specific minimum vehicle requirements listed in the description below that you MUST meet. NO exceptions. The run will depart at 11-11:30am Tuesday, July 19 from Grand Junction and will arrive in Ouray Thursday afternoon (time TBD). There is an additional $100 per vehicle fee for this run to cover guide and permit fees. This will be collected via Paypal after notifying the lucky few.

There are only nine spots available on this run and we will be using a very simple, non-scientific process to determine who gets signed on for it just as we did last year. We'll throw the names in a hat and pull them out one-by-one. The Summit isn't very far out on the schedule so we need to move quickly with this. If you are interested and meet the requirements listed, you must email your contact info to [email protected] by 6/24. On 6/25 we will pull names and notify those individuals so they can start planning.

Requirements: Again, you must have attended at least one prior FJ Summit to qualify for this trip, 33" tires with LT rating, 1 locker (or working ATRAC), working CB radio (hand-held with external antenna ok), 5 gallons extra fuel, 1 bundle firewood, food/water/snacks for the trip, portable (WAG) toilet suggested, proper clothing and footwear for mountain weather. TRD package vehicles will do fine, strong recovery points front and rear and adequate protection from some rocks required! Roof Top Tents need to be well mounted and might catch a branch or two!! Very small offroad trailers are OK but only if you are very experienced in handling rough terrain with them.

Description: This fun but challenging double overnight that will take us up and across Colorado's Grand Mesa. Known as the "world's largest standing Volcanic mesa," this area has fantastic views of the surrounding country, including the La Sal and San Juan mountains, with lots of lakes, creeks and reservoirs nestled among the aspen, spruce and pine. The average elevation is 10,000 feet and the terrain can be rocky with muddy sections, tight trees and open meadows with great views and scenic splendor galore!

The route (subject to weather and road closure) will follow some of the rough (and easy) tracks to cross this fantastic forest including Lands End Road, Long Slough and others. Flowers and wildlife abound and the many lakes and reservoirs will be full of trout. The volcanic rocks and wet meadows will challenge us along the drive and the cement block CCC sections from days of yore are really a cool part of history! We will camp remote in two different primitive camping areas along the way and relax around the fire. The overnight spots will be chosen based on our day's travels. Please bring 1 bundle of store-bought wood per vehicle so we don't pillage the forest for our camp-fires. Portable toilets are always strongly recommended, cooking on the fire (season permitted) is possible but stoves are usually better. The double overnight nature of the trip will allow more time around the fire than last year's single night trip.

Typically, the thin air, a little mountain storm or two and a few mosquitoes will keep us feeling alive! This will be a "take our time" type trip to enjoy new friends and some fine Colorado scenery! We will have expansive views of the San Juan mountains and the Uncompahgre plateau as we drop down in altitude to the orchard town of Cedaredge while passing lots of local fruit stands on our way to Delta. We will hit Ouray late afternoon on Thursday in time for dinner!

This trip is under BB4WA USFS Permit. All attendees will be asked to sign a Risk Acknowledgement form. No drugs or alcohol during the driving portion (including lunch). Appropriate consumption allowed during the evening camp fire! Remember it will be 10,000 feet!

Registered

Registered
Over a month since anyone posted about this run! Did it even happen?Apparently the FJ owners who go to the Summit aren't very fond of camping and overlanding.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
Over a month since anyone posted about this run! Did it even happen?Apparently the FJ owners who go to the Summit aren't very fond of camping and overlanding.
We only heard good reviews from Bill and the participants. Once the gears were set in motion the planning took place within the group via email rather than on this thread. I expect that we'll do something similar again next year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts