Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1084 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
Just a good ol’ BBQ guy here. Brother in law built me and my brother a rig on wheels from a spare heavy duty new tank of somesorts we had. Now we run it 10-20 times a year for parties, friendly weddings, and a few competitions here n there. Cut and dry our own wood(different oaks, some hickory and wild cherry) Oak and cherry has been a nice combo this year. It’s pretty mild smoke flavor. Hickory packs a punch fo sho. Here’s some brisket we finished 2nd in 2 weeks ago in a small town competition in southern Iowa.
Niiiiiice!:grin

·
トヨタ Master
7,569 Posts
Mrs. famous green chile again last night. Oh yeah! Leftovers for lunch for a few days. :wink

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,995 Posts
Cold chicken tenders from the store with mustard potato salad and some strawberry colada yogurt for brunch. Yum.

·
トヨタ Master
7,569 Posts
Bourbon Glazed Turkey with Pearl Onion Giblet Gravy:

Ingredients
One 15-pound turkey—heart, gizzard and liver chopped and reserved 2 cups apple cider 1 1/2 cups kosher salt 2 cups dark brown sugar 3 rosemary sprigs 1 bunch thyme 1 bunch sage 3 pounds ice cubes 1 medium onion, finely chopped 2 celery ribs, finely chopped 1 large carrot, thinly sliced 10 garlic cloves 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened 1 cup bourbon 2 tablespoons canola oil One 12-ounce bag frozen pearl onions, thawed 3 cups turkey stock or low-sodium chicken broth 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1/4 cup Mashed Roasted Garlic

How to Make It:

Step 1
Put the turkey in a brining bag set in a tub or very large pot. In a large saucepan, combine the cider with the salt, 1 cup of the brown sugar and the rosemary, thyme and sage and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Add 6 quarts of cold water to the brine and pour over the turkey. Add the ice to the brine and refrigerate the turkey overnight.

Step 2
Preheat the oven to 450° and set a rack on the lowest shelf of the oven. Drain the turkey and pat dry. Discard the brine. Fill the turkey cavity with half of the onion, celery, carrot and garlic cloves; scatter the remaining vegetables in a large roasting pan. Set a V-shaped rack in the pan. Tie the turkey legs with butcher's twine and transfer the bird to the rack, breast side up. Add 2 cups of water to the pan and roast the turkey for 30 minutes.

Step 3
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining 1 cup of brown sugar with the 1 stick of butter and the bourbon and heat just until the sugar and butter melt.

Step 4
Reduce the oven temperature to 350° and brush the turkey with some of the glaze. Continue roasting the turkey, brushing it every 15 minutes, for about 3 hours, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 165°; add another 2 cups of water and tent the turkey with foil halfway through roasting. Transfer the turkey to a carving board and let rest for 30 minutes.

Step 5
Strain the pan juices into a heatproof bowl and skim off the fat. (You should have about 1 cup.) Discard the vegetables.

Step 6
In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the chopped turkey giblets and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the pearl onions and cook until lightly browned in spots, about 5 minutes longer. Add the turkey stock and the reserved turkey pan juices and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the saucepan.

Step 7
In a small bowl, mash the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter with the flour and whisk it into the gravy. Bring to a boil and simmer until the gravy thickens, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the roasted garlic. Carve the turkey and serve with the gravy.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Bourbon Glazed Turkey with Pearl Onion Giblet Gravy:
We went with a dry brine this year (salt, pepper, lemon zest, red pepper flake, paprika, thyme, sage, rosemary, and garlic powder). It's been brining since Monday. We are then wrapping it in prosciutto before baking (did this last year). :surprise

We're also going to try out a new-to-us dressing recipe with chunks of pepperoni and mozzarella (saw it on a food show).

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,995 Posts
McDonalds has one of their stores open tomorrow. Now to decide between beef or chicken with smashed fries, lettuce and tomatoes, and a McFlurry for dessert.

·
トヨタ Master
7,569 Posts
Love me some chile. 'Specially on a cold day, nothing warms up the core better to be out in the cold.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,995 Posts
If you guys need some ideas for using up your Thanksgiving leftovers, go to YouTube and check out Kent Rollins channel. This year he has a video for Cowboy corn dogs. The crust is made with stuffing and cornmeal and that's wrapped around a smoked sausage stuffed with cheese and jalapeños. He makes a dipping sauce with mustard and plum jam, but says you could use cranberry sauce or whatever you like.

Last year he made Thanksgiving Pot Pies where he used stuffing for the crust and other leftovers for the filling and toppings.

·
トヨタ Master
7,569 Posts
With all the salmonella in turkeys right now, I'd bet that the stores were low on stock this year. I'd like to start getting my own again one of these years if I have time to get away to hunt. The closest place from here is about 3 hour drive near Torrington.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,995 Posts
I see a few down south of me in the Unitas fairly often. When the campground at the bottom of the geological loop is closed there are usually several that hang out there.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,995 Posts
I just found a story that popped up on FB from the Wyoming Game and Fish about Wyomings wild turkeys. It's on there website.

It's. Wgfd.wyo.gov

·
トヨタ Master
7,569 Posts
I see a few down south of me in the Unitas fairly often. When the campground at the bottom of the geological loop is closed there are usually several that hang out there.
Maybe I'll come out your way. Never hunted that side of the state.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,995 Posts
It's actually just over the border about 12 miles into UT.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,995 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,995 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
7,569 Posts
1061 - 1080 of 1084 Posts