Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1101 - 1114 of 1114 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
236 Posts
Seeing what people are using for seasonings. I have tried a bunch but…

For fish and chicken I like Mc Cormick Montreal Chicken Seasoning. For fish and chicken I season to taste and cook on my gas grill with a light coating of olive oil in the cast iron skillet. I look at the sides of the fish / chicken and when the color changes half way I flip them. Then I use a thermometer. A few minutes before the end I add some butter and filp and coat. If you add the butter at the beginning it may burn.

For deep fried fish, I cut into nuggets / strips. I season / coat in flour / dip in egg and milk / then in a ziplock bag crush ritz crackers and cover. Deep fry until brown 350 / 375. Temperature is important. I usually also cook hushpuppies or waffle fries.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
トヨタ Master
10,816 Posts
My youngest boy's 19th birthday today. Restaurants all closed up here again cept for curbside or whatever. I told him he could pick where we're picking up from tonight so I'm betting either a local pizza joint or his favorite mexican restaurant. Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD
239 Posts
My youngest boy's 19th birthday today. Restaurants all closed up here again cept for curbside or whatever. I told him he could pick where we're picking up from tonight so I'm betting either a local pizza joint or his favorite mexican restaurant. Sounds good to me.
Happy Birthday to your youngest! My oldest recently reached voting age, but not in enough time to participate in the 2020 election. Then again, it's Illinois so he probably could have and no one would have noticed.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Dinner got me thinking about February 1982, Fort Jackson SC. Towards the end of basic training. We were camping in the field for two days. The C-Rats were frozen. We learned to put the cans in our pockets under our jackets to thaw them.
Then in the mornings we learned to use our canteen cups for the coffee, not the waxed paper cups at the chow tent. The wax would melt and stick to our fingers. Also wax would float on top , then stick to the teeth.
The coffee was something. A 20 gallon pot heated to boiling over a propane burner. Then a can of ground coffee was dumped in. Most of the solids settled out.
How do the recruits handle that now? No Starbucks for them.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
DSCN0558.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Tonight was chicken again. This time a boneless skinless breast. I smashed some French fried onions leftover from t-day and mixed with dijon mustard and coated the chicken and fried it.
Red potato and garden salad with balsamic.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
A version of tamale pie tonight. Using a cornbread mix. I have made this before with Maze or whatever the Mexican cornmeal is called and a bit of shortening.
Hope it turns out well. It will be edible for sure.

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD
239 Posts
A version of tamale pie tonight. Using a cornbread mix. I have made this before with Maze or whatever the Mexican cornmeal is called and a bit of shortening.
Hope it turns out well. It will be edible for sure.
That inspired me. Going to make chimales for lunch tomorrow: beef tamales smothered in chili, with a bunch of shredded sharp cheddar on top.

·
トヨタ Master
10,816 Posts
Gotta decide what kind of bacon I want with my eggs this morning. Hmm.....

·
トヨタ Master
10,816 Posts
Yeah, I've probably got in the neighborhood of 40 lbs of assorted bacon. Can't eat it all in one sitting. But if I did, it would kill me with a smile so there's that.

1101 - 1114 of 1114 Posts