Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
NWFJCC Moderator
2,801 Posts
NEW EDIT: Sorry nevermind, found the answer to my question on the Summit web page :)

Ok, I'll try to be the first actual question here... :)

Is there a good resource us Summit newbs can check out that lists the trails that will be run, difficulty of the trail, scenic rating, etc.? Possibly with pictures?

I thought I had seen something somewhere, but I cannot find it now. I could probably just look up the general area on some web site, but I wouldn't know for sure if any given trail is within Summit scope or not (and they probably don't have a FJ specific trail rating).

Thanks, and I look forward to meeting everyone!!!

Jeff

Jeff and all

4WD Trails Southwest Colorado by Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson is a great book. It has a break down of all the roads and trails in the area. It's a great book to read before you go. It'll give you a great starting point as to what you want to run.

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
SFC wants our daughter to drive his rig. :eek:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I only have moderate offroad experience and have only been to the western part of this great country a couple times. I'm not to concerned about trail difficulty as most have said that most of the trails are not that tuff. So what I want to know is what are some of the more scenic and fun trails to run?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You are going to see something different on all the trails. Some have ghost towns, abandoned mines, snow, etc.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Thinking about attending... But as you know,
it's quite hike from the NJ coast... I will be
coming in a 30 ft coachmen class "c" towing
the FJ behind on a trailer...

Now, what are the recomendation as far as
a place stay with the RV with hookups and
all that good stuff... ?... TY...

Also, TRAVEL times ?... How long will it take
to get there from NJ ?... I know the map type
programs give a listig, but it can be way off,
and I would like to hear a real number... TY !...

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Bandi, it would be soooo sweet if you and your family could come! WOW! I think, and I'm not sure because I don't have an RV, but check the KOA, they may have RV parking, hook-ups, etc.

Ouray KOA
970-325-4736
Ouray, Colorado Camping Vacation, Ouray Campground in Colorado - KOA in Ouray
Number of Units:N/A
Summer Rates:$25+/night

Also, check this place:

4J+1+1 RV Park
970-325-4418
4J+1+1 RV Park & Campground - Ouray - Southwest Colorado
Number of Units: 55
Summer Rates:$20+/night

As far as time, I haven't a clue, sorry. I'm sure there are others though, I know people came from NY last year.

·
Registered
816 Posts

Yeah Bandi, come stay at the KOA with a bunch of us. RV hookups, showers, a store, etc. I'm towing a Pop Up tent trailer and there are others doing the same or driving in with motor homes. I can't wait to meet the famous Bandi!

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Any idea on the actual travel time form this
coast over ?... VA... NC... NY... DE... MA...

The hardest part, is going to have to figure
out how to deal with the fuel cost, which is
going to be prolly in the $1600 range... :eek:

I hope we can do this !... I would luv to meet
up with everyone there and see the country
some too...

Also Accepting FUEL SPONSORSHIPS... ;)...

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts

This is what we did last year (don't know if it is what you looking for time wise), left Nashville at 5am & made it to Elk City, OK at 7pm and spent the night. Left around 6am from there and we were at the Moab Brewery at 7pm have dinner with someother FJ's already there.

You could meet up with us somewhere on I-40 and play in Moab for a couple of days before the Summit. :)

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Considering that it's a full day when I deliver to New Jersey from Indiana, Bandi should allow at least three full days to get to Ouray, especially in a big rig with FJ in tow.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Any idea on the actual travel time form this
coast over ?... VA... NC... NY... DE... MA...
Bandi, if it helps...

It took us about 33 hours to make it to Ouray from Detroit. We came across OH-IN-IL-NE-CO. We made the overnight stop in Lincoln, NE since it was really the last really inhabited stop before metro Denver. What did slow us down was the weather at times, since the rains can be unpredictable once you get into the mountains (and going 70mph is no longer a safe option).
It's worth making the trip at least once. If there's anything I can tell you, it's this...
When you're driving across Nebraska and you see a gas station, STOP. That half tank of gas you think is fine for now isn't when you realize that the gas station you just left is the last one for 200 miles. :)

make the trip!
:) nic

·
Registered
981 Posts
Im going from upstate NY and MS streets and trips says around 33 hours going out I90 to I80. Im planning on 3 days of driving, trying to get a long 1st day in so the next 2 arent as bad.

Although if it took you 33 from Detroit, something tells me Im gonna need more time :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
This is a (if not the) great 4X4 resource for central Colorado and has all the trails that will be guided and a TON that won't be but people will be on in July.

Funtreks Guidebooks Publisher of Quality Backroad Guidebooks for Adventurous SUV Owners and Serious 4 Wheelers

NEW! Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails Volume 1, Second Edition by Charles A.Wells

We will be giving some away at the raffle, and perhaps selling them at the event, but you can always pick on up ahead of time so you can see all the trails.

He also has other books that may be in your area as well.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts