Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone remember how long it took to complete each trail? I noticed they weren't long in mileage , kinda just curious

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Does anyone remember how long it took to complete each trail? I noticed they weren't long in mileage , kinda just curious
Alpine Loop is all day, such as leave at 8 get back at 5 all day. Imogene and others are 4-6 hours. They can be done quicker, but there is so much to see and take pictures of, that you end up spending a lot of time out there, but its good time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the info I figured their was a lot of photography from all the photo threads now my girlfriend will stop bugging me about it

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
a quick recap, and a few notes of my own
I know someone is going to ask where to stay.
Go here:
Ouray Colorado :: Lodging
or here:
FJSummit 2007 National Meet
Last year I put together a Google Earth KML File covering the trails, here's the thread:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/national-summit-discussion/18608-fj-summit-07-google-earth-style-2.html
Here's the same file in Google Maps
http://angie-shane.org/als/FJS_2007.kmz - Google Maps
You can also check Dirtopia, I've added all the Ouray county trails, and I'm working on the surrounding counties. Ouray County is here: Ouray County, Colorado - Dirtopia, the Off-Road Encyclopedia
All the trails from Dirtopia should be color coded properly for difficulty (green-blue-red-black) I'll create a new custom GE/Google Maps KML probably around march, so look for that.
Excellent Shane!

Which trails are scenic?
There is NO shortage of scenic and interesting trails around Ouray.
Here's a good place to get an idea:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/national-summit-discussion/31597-official-ouray-photo-thread.html
AMEN to that, everywhere you look is just amazing!!!

This is a (if not the) great 4X4 resource for central Colorado and has all the trails that will be guided and a TON that won't be but people will be on in July.
Funtreks Guidebooks Publisher of Quality Backroad Guidebooks for Adventurous SUV Owners and Serious 4 Wheelers
NEW! Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails Volume 1, Second Edition by Charles A.Wells
We will be giving some away at the raffle, and perhaps selling them at the event, but you can always pick on up ahead of time so you can see all the trails.
amen to that, and the second best book is probably Amazon.com: 4WD Adventures: Colorado: Books: Peter Massey,Jeanne Wilson

COMMUNICATIONS:
GO HERE http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/national-summit-discussion/46282-fj-summit-2008-radio-communications-thread.html

IS A STOCK RIG OK?
yes, absolutely - i bet half the FJs last year were stock, including mine, and i had ZERO issues even on the more aggressive trails, as long as you have a cool headed driver you're in good shape

WHAT TO BRING ON THE TRAIL?
you will be on most trails at least 4 or 5 hours, most important is probably WATER (1 gallon person IMO), toliet paper, food (i would recommend lunch quality food, not just snacks and junk food) - OH YA, and bring a CAMERA :)

IS IT OK FOR KIDS?
You bet! I brought my two boys last year (6 and 9) and they had a good time, loved the trails, LOVED the hot springs, I will be bringing them again.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
a quick recap, and a few notes of my own

Excellent Shane!

Which trails are scenic?

AMEN to that, everywhere you look is just amazing!!!

amen to that, and the second best book is probably Amazon.com: 4WD Adventures: Colorado: Books: Peter Massey,Jeanne Wilson

COMMUNICATIONS:
CB's will be the most common Amazon.com: cb - Amazon.com: Electronics
FRS (the motorola type units) will also be common Amazon.com: frs: Electronics
HAM radio will also be used (i am finding the repeater frequencies in the area that work well as we speak and will post them soon)
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics/35922-reasons-why-cbers-should-consider-ham-radio.html
and
Hamcity.com - Ham City
I would recommend having at least one of these methods of communication, it is not required but adds to the enjoyment when you can talk to other rigs.

IS A STOCK RIG OK?
yes, absolutely - i bet half the FJs last year were stock, including mine, and i had ZERO issues even on the more aggressive trails, as long as you have a cool headed driver you're in good shape

WHAT TO BRING ON THE TRAIL?
you will be on most trails at least 4 or 5 hours, most important is probably WATER (1 gallon person IMO), toliet paper, food (i would recommend lunch quality food, not just snacks and junk food) - OH YA, and bring a CAMERA :)

IS IT OK FOR KIDS?
You bet! I brought my two boys last year (6 and 9) and they had a good time, loved the trails, LOVED the hot springs, I will be bringing them again.
Lots of great info within the above. We also had a completely stock truck, we did fine. We aired down the tires and you get more tractions that way. This year we will have new tires, nothing more.

All of you coming from lower altitudes, I know everyone here is stressing this but you need PLENTY OF WATER. You will be happy you drank tons of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Will we get an information pack in the mail as far as trail times, events, etc. or will get everything when we get there?

·
Registered
166 Posts
If your from the low country the altitude can get you. I learned that the hard way. Ouray is about 8000 ft and some of the passes are around 13000 ft. You may want to do a little research on altitude sickness prevention. I now I'm taking the altitude more serious this time.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Here is a great link to the trails in the West. The links for the Ouray area are super! Go to: TrailDamage.com - All Trails

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
143 Posts
If your from the low country the altitude can get you. I learned that the hard way. Ouray is about 8000 ft and some of the passes are around 13000 ft. You may want to do a little research on altitude sickness prevention. I now I'm taking the altitude more serious this time.
Kent is absolutely right. If you're not used to it, it can hit you hard and fast. We added Pedialyte (unflavored) to our water bottles for an extra boost.
If you've never dealt with it, do the research and read up on it a bit. There are easy ways to prevent it if you educate yourself and prepare.

Sidenote:Kent, it was you that had the altitude issue out near Imogene last year? If so, it was me that brought over the water/pedialyte mix for you. I never put it together until now, but we spoke/kept tabs on each other during the drive out to Ouray from Canada/Detroit...but never did actually meet face to face when we got there. Huh, what a small world! Have a great trip this year!!
:) nic

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey nic1010 I want to thank you, and all the folks that helped me out that day. Shane4x4 drove my truck down the mountain into Tellaride. [He could drive a standard] Spent a few hours in the getting rehydrated and medicated. Spent the next 2 day's throwing up, could not even keep water down. It's worth trying it again this year. Are you going to this years summit?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey nic1010 I want to thank you, and all the folks that helped me out that day. Shane4x4 drove my truck down the mountain into Tellaride. [He could drive a standard] Spent a few hours in the getting rehydrated and medicated. Spent the next 2 day's throwing up, could not even keep water down. It's worth trying it again this year. Are you going to this years summit?
So it was you then! It just had never occurred to me that you were the same guy I was checking in with on the drive out to CO. :)

Unfortunately, we aren't making the trip this year. We have other trips planned and there's just not enough time to do it all. Unless someone can tell me how to teleport to the Summit, with our truck, we don't have the time to. Next year we'll surely make it!:):):)

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Ok the kid thing is covered, but what about dogs? We are staying at the box hotel and would crate our Mollie Dogginz in the FJ overnight. (No pets at the box right?)

We might be able to find a sitter, but we won't take her to the doggie hotel again. She looked like hell when we got her back after 2 days last time and she and her blanket smelled like pee.

Anyone take their dog last year?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
There's a thread in this section about people taking their dogs. I'm sure you won't be the only one.

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
We brought our cattle dog and we were at a cabin at the KOA, she rode shotgun during trail runs and the rest of the time. I don't think any of the hotels would allow dogs tho'

No probs, but shes a better trail dog than the eng bully

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Ok the kid thing is covered, but what about dogs? We are staying at the box hotel and would crate our Mollie Dogginz in the FJ overnight. (No pets at the box right?)

We might be able to find a sitter, but we won't take her to the doggie hotel again. She looked like hell when we got her back after 2 days last time and she and her blanket smelled like pee.

Anyone take their dog last year?
No pets at the Box Canyon Lodge.

·
Registered
302 Posts
silly question, but...

Will a lifted 2wd w/locker make it on the easier stuff?

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
silly question, but...

Will a lifted 2wd w/locker make it on the easier stuff?
I think you'll be ok on some of the runs. You may need a little assistance on Engineer & Imogene, but you should be able to make it. No guarantees though ;)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
41 - 60 of 88 Posts