Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

741 - 751 of 751 Posts

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I just had a quick question and I think this is the most relevant thread: would a heat gun do the trick for the lens removal or does it need to go in the oven? I'm trying to actually repair the shutter on my Spyder headlights (yeah I know, go ahead and laugh at the dumb purchase), and I need to remove the lens so I'm not doing a ship-in-a-bottle style repair (cus i've been trying it that way and it aint gonna happen).
Best bet is to put it in the oven. I don't think you will be able to keep the entire rim of the lens hot enough to pry apart with a heat gun. 265 degrees for 7 minutes is perfect to soften the adhesive and you're nowhere close to melting any other part of the housing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Best bet is to put it in the oven. I don't think you will be able to keep the entire rim of the lens hot enough to pry apart with a heat gun. 265 degrees for 7 minutes is perfect to soften the adhesive and you're nowhere close to melting any other part of the housing.
Thanks for the tip. I tried both methods but to no avail... tried up to 270 for 12 minutes but looks like these POC were perma-glued shut. Spent probably 12+ hours trying to repair them through the 3/4" bulb hole after that but now they're still broken and I'm frustrated haha. Pretty much a lost cause at this point so time to start saving my couch change for a retrofit project!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone.

I just installed the Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0 kit from The Retrofit Source. I'm really happy with how everything came together. The light output is a major upgrade.

Here is a photo of the finished look. It's not the best photo, I just shot it with my cellphone but I thought I'd share it none the less.

I am looking for some input on how to seal the back of the lights. The kit came with the Morimoto 35W D2S ballasts. The ballast connectors have a rubber boot but I don't know how this seals the back of the light. (See my photo below) The wiring points down so I feel like I need some link of "L" shaped boot to go over the wring boot to the back of the light. If anyone has a similar setup, I'd love to see a photo or example of how you sealed your lights.

Thanks,

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #747 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I just installed the Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0 kit from The Retrofit Source. I'm really happy with how everything came together. The light output is a major upgrade.

Here is a photo of the finished look. It's not the best photo, I just shot it with my cellphone but I thought I'd share it none the less.

View attachment 1120803

I am looking for some input on how to seal the back of the lights. The kit came with the Morimoto 35W D2S ballasts. The ballast connectors have a rubber boot but I don't know how this seals the back of the light. (See my photo below) The wiring points down so I feel like I need some link of "L" shaped boot to go over the wring boot to the back of the light. If anyone has a similar setup, I'd love to see a photo or example of how you sealed your lights.

Thanks,

View attachment 1120804
Looks great! You simply need to cut out a larger hole in the boot. That's what we all do :)

Go back to post #18 in this thread = Official HID Retrofit Thread

·
Registered
49 Posts
@darkhorse13 Looking forward to seeing the finished install. In addition to some pictures of the light spread & cutoff like you did with your first set up. I’m actually considering the Morimoto Super7’s myself along with a few other plug & play options. Light spread and cutoff are more important to me than just pure light output. Great write up though.
@Asher I’d also be interested in seeing any photos of your set up as well, for light spread & cutoff if you’re able to get some. Looks great though.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #750
@darkhorse13 Looking forward to seeing the finished install. In addition to some pictures of the light spread & cutoff like you did with your first set up. I’m actually considering the Morimoto Super7’s myself along with a few other plug & play options. Light spread and cutoff are more important to me than just pure light output. Great write up though.
@Asher I’d also be interested in seeing any photos of your set up as well, for light spread & cutoff if you’re able to get some. Looks great though.
@Green Alien already posted my friend... Official LED Retrofit Thread

741 - 751 of 751 Posts