Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to set up an offroad GPS system using an 8" or 10" Android tablet plus an external GPS receiver, running Gaia or BackCountry Navagator.

I'd prefer to use a tablet instead of a netbook or small laptop because of simplified mounting and improved ruggedness.

Has anyone been running a tablet with external GPS receiver system? Not many tablets have a USB port; is there any alternative for the receiver interface?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I run my Ipad with a Bluetooth gps antenna. Works great because it does not draw battery power from the ipad. It has its own rechargeable battery.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you are crawling or traveling at slower speeds then any of them will work. If you are going to be in the dunes jumping then I would make sure it is secure via suction cup, glued, Velcro, or screwed in.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Because the more sats, the more accurate. :rocker:

Are you able to see how many are available VS. how many you are actively tracking? With our work (survey) GPS equipment, we are tracking between 14-17 sats on a good day. 8 when in rough terrain. 3 will triangulate, 4 will give you good 3D quality but will be slow. But high numbers will give you the best precision. I was curious to hear how a model like this will perform as I've only used "professional" equipment but would like to add something like this to my rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Are you able to see how many are available VS. how many you are actively tracking? With our work (survey) GPS equipment, we are tracking between 14-17 sats on a good day. 8 when in rough terrain. 3 will triangulate, 4 will give you good 3D quality but will be slow. But high numbers will give you the best precision. I was curious to hear how a model like this will perform as I've only used "professional" equipment but would like to add something like this to my rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They do have an app that allows you to see active sats, SNR, distance error, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I use an ipad mini and Delorme sw. I also use my phone with a 5.5" screen- too small though. I am about ready to try a 7" Samsung. I have visibility issues in the FJ already and a nearly 9" screen on the ipad is just too much. I figure I can also beat the tar out of a $150 Samsung and not be too concerned if it survives more than a year of trail use.

·
Desert Moderator
6,045 Posts
I use my phone (Samsung S6) with Maverick & occcasionally BackCountry Navigtor - no external receiver, no dropouts.
Phone is on a suction mount on the silver bit to the left of the wheel - it's out of my direct line of sight there, but easy to take a quick glance to check my bearing.
Works fine for me.
Backup GPS on my watch (Suunto Ambit2)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts