Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this laptop named the NotePAC from Kontron. This thing sounds like it would survive any and all offroad conditions. This would be great to use with high-resolution topo maps and GPS software. Not to mention you could download all your pics from the digital camera while offroad and save them on a more secure platform until you get home. :)

Ultra-rugged laptop targets off-road apps

·
Registered
325 Posts
Panasonic Toughbook with the reversible screen is my choice. That way it can be put into tablet or touch-screen mode when driving and full kybd mode when typing.

Waiting for a good deal on E-Bay, they got for > $2000

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
That is a massive laptop. It looks indestructible. 13 lbs??? I couldn't find a price.

We went out and bought this: Fujitsu Computer Systems - LifeBook A6120 Notebook

It has a "spill resistant keyboard" and a shock insulated hard drive. We have about two dozen runs with this unit and absolutely no problems. It's held down by two velcro strips and has never come loose.

Real time navigation is addicting. Can't leave home without it now.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I have seen all and worked with some the ones you guys mentioned. This however, is the first I had seen/heard of the Kontron NotePAC. Of all those mentioned, I like the Tadpole the best. I need to find out more about this one though...

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
Ruggedized laptops are not worth the extra money unless you plan on using outside in extreme conditions, IMHO. I have used standard laptops on many a field excercise with no problems. I currently have a Fujitsu LifeBook T4210 the Marine Corps issued me and its ok. Not sure what they paid for it but my $450 after Christmas sale Compaq I got from Best Buy is about 4X faster. I'm sure it has alot to do with all the crap the government loads on these computers. The government laptop has an AT&T air card, while my personal one has a Verizon air card. That could also play a factor in it. But back on target here, ruggedized laptops look cool and all but are wayyyyyyy more expensive and unless you plan on using it outside your vehicle in the rain and/or sabdstorms its just not worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have owned a toughbook, a fujitsu and now a toshiba u-205 and it is by far the best...
the semi-rugged is perfect without the wgt of the toughbook....when a laptop in mounted on a stand wgt is what makes it bounce around.
I love the toshiba and am very happy

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Kontron is a local company here in San Diego, and a former customer of ours. These are really really HD laptop systems, more along the lines of a mil spec piece of equipment and IMHO overkill for the FJ, but hey if that's what you want these will certainly not disappoint.

They make a tablet version of the NotePAC.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hehe.. I absolutely agree that they are way over priced when with just a little care, a regular old any-name laptop will work just fine. Nonetheless, they are way cool, which is why I posted. My current plans are to buy just about the the cheapest (used most likely) laptop that I can find to run some topo/GPS software that I want. I guess what you might consider a "beater laptop". The MIL-SPEC stuff is tough as nails and worth the money if you are really going to be using them in the conditions they are designed to survive. Especially when you are talking about mission/life critical software and communications.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I love that they come with open source software. I personally run Kubuntu, but Suse is equally as good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm in the Air Force. All I know is that I use the Tough Books everyday for work and they are a piece of crap! We have an other company too. I can't remember what its called, but they are both the same. Piece of crap!! We wasted so much money these things. They are very very slow. I mainly use it for the Acrobat Reader for PDF files and it can hardly do that. Not to mention the battery life is horrible. The touch screens such. Oh and one other thing, don't ever try and use it outside if it colder than 50F. Then you really have no battery.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm in the Air Force. All I know is that I use the Tough Books everyday for work and they are a piece of crap! We have an other company too. I can't remember what its called, but they are both the same. Piece of crap!! We wasted so much money these things. They are very very slow. I mainly use it for the Acrobat Reader for PDF files and it can hardly do that. Not to mention the battery life is horrible. The touch screens such. Oh and one other thing, don't ever try and use it outside if it colder than 50F. Then you really have no battery.
Wow.. Good to hear from someone using them in the field.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts