Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it seems the closer we are to production, the more fj i see without the BFG A/T tires. Which leads me to believe the rumor there will be a offroad model/package/option. Afterall, it makes no sense toyota would use BFG A/T tires on the prototypes and the ones that completed the rubicon trial but doesn't offer it on production? In fact, all the recent photos i see have been equipped with street tires - Bridgestone Dueler HT & Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 :(

So for comparison, let's look at what $1600 gets you on the Xterra "offroad" model vs. the "S" model:
On-demand electronic locking rear differential (4x4 only)
Clutch Start/Cancel (manual transmission only)
Hill Descent Control (HDC)
Hill Start Assist (HSA) - 4x4 automatic transmission only
Bilstein® off-road performance shock absorbers
Skid plates — oil pan, fuel tank, 4x4 transfer case
BFGoodrich® Rugged Trail® outlined white letter tires
Fog lights & First Aid Kit

Looks like a pretty good deal in my book. Now I just hope Toyota will offer it at launch and not later on like other rumors that's been going around :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, it will probably come in a package, but hopefully it will be stand alone. I don't want leather seats just so I can get skid plates. I also hope I can get it without Hill decent control (hopefully the engine is tuned to compresion brake very well), traction control, and ABS. All of those things just become more stuff to break, and I know I can handle the vehicle better without them intruding both on road and off.

·
Registered
378 Posts
mpd8488 said:
Well, it will probably come in a package, but hopefully it will be stand alone. I don't want leather seats just so I can get skid plates. I also hope I can get it without Hill decent control (hopefully the engine is tuned to compresion brake very well), traction control, and ABS. All of those things just become more stuff to break, and I know I can handle the vehicle better without them intruding both on road and off.

I guess it will come down to the definition bewtween what off-road package means and what loaded means. A lot of people unfortuatley think they are one in the same. I hope Toyota separates the two.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mpd8488 said:
I don't think leather will be an option but I see what you mean. Anyways, with or without the offroad package, I just hope Toyota will offer the BFG A/T as an option at launch. That'll save me the trip to the tire shop.

·
Registered
35 Posts
locking diff, skid plates and perhaps a hill decent control (depending on how the engine is tuned ,as mentioned by mpd8488) are all I care about. As far as tires go, I'd rather buy my own from a tire shop.

Unless the BFG's are offered on a 15" rim (which I doubt). 16" tires are much more expensive.

Oh yeah, I could care less about shocks since I'd be getting an aftermarket lift for it anyway.

Toyota, just give me those options I listed above with black steel wheels and cheap tires. It'll save me money!

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
SR71-FJ said:
locking diff, skid plates and perhaps a hill decent control (depending on how the engine is tuned ,as mentioned by mpd8488) are all I care about. As far as tires go, I'd rather buy my own from a tire shop.

Unless the BFG's are offered on a 15" rim (which I doubt). 16" tires are much more expensive.

Oh yeah, I could care less about shocks since I'd be getting an aftermarket lift for it anyway.

Toyota, just give me those options I listed above with black steel wheels and cheap tires. It'll save me money!
i gotta agree with ya; locker(s), rock sliders (skid plates are standard), aftermarket for the rest. i think the wheels are 17" though, which will make tires even more pricey. probably be cheaper to just get new steel wheels when you order the new tires, at least you wont be "throwing away" alloys that you paid extra for.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My impression has been that the FJC is a pretty capable 4X4 right out of the box. If this is so, why the need for an "off-road" package. Looking at the TRD package for the Taco, it appears that much of the equipment is merely cosmetic. If rock rails, skid plates, and rear lockers are stand alone options, what else does anybody need??

Just wondering.

Edadis

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
For the Badass Badging, of course! Sheesh, some people...

A "true" offroad package (without the excess bling the taco and tundra packages come with) should include: large(r) AT tires (33"ish), rear TRD e-locker, rock sliders, lower axle gears, and revised spring rates and shocks. if they keep it to that and forget about the color keyed chrome widgets and dont make you buy some "convenience package A" to get it it might actually be worth it, depending on the final price.

I wish it would include: Front locker or limited slip, new suspension bits to clear 35"s, 6 speed tranny with 1st granny gear (5:1 at least), lower low range gearing (4:1, at least).

another thought; for those of us who go with larger than stock tires, where are we going to put a full size spare? just a wild guess here, but im thinking that a 33" might not clear the glass on the rear gate, definately not 34" or 35".

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Option A. Mount it expedition style to the rack on the top.
Option B. Put it in the cargo area.
Option C. Engineer a hood rack system and put it on the hood. Might cause some visibility issues.
Option D. Because of the way the rear door opens, you might be able to modify the current spare mount to mount an inch or two lower to clear the window glass.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hmmm, did anyone see the rear glass door hinged up on the blue one at SEMA? Now that I think about it I don't recall seeing any photos with it up. The tires on that one I think were P285/70R17, so what diameter would that be? Larger than the stock P265/70R17. The SEMA size would probably be as large as I would go, but for larger diameter tires you might be able to sandwich a spacer between the spare and its mount to provide more clearance for the window to open.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
the LT265/75/R17 is about 31.6", the LT285/70/R17 is 32.7"; a little over an inch bigger. might fit, especially if they are planning on offering 33"s optional from the factory at some point. im not a fan of the tire on the rear gate anyway, so it will probably end up on the (safari style) roof rack for me...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Percy said:
Option D. Because of the way the rear door opens, you might be able to modify the current spare mount to mount an inch or two lower to clear the window glass.
Didn't the SEMA FJC have an aftermarket kit to remount the tire in a vertical position instead of canted forward? That right there would give you quite a bit more clearance.

Jason

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Honestly, I didn't pay that much attention to it. Aftermarket companies are looking to build accessories for the FJ Cruiser, though. So a year from now, you will have more options for racks and mounts than you ever thought imaginable.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The roof mounted spare looks awesome on most 4x4's. That's what I am going to try to do. And I def. want that really long antenna with the orange flag on it. The one that means you are a badass four wheeler. Oh, and a snorkel of some sort. I've had some close calls with deep water, and a snorkel is a life saver.

·
Registered
166 Posts
n6opv said:
Didn't the SEMA FJC have an aftermarket kit to remount the tire in a vertical position instead of canted forward? That right there would give you quite a bit more clearance.

Jason
can't say about the sema one as i didn't go to sema. i did see the vertical spare on the sema one in many pictures. i didn however try to see how the spare mounted in greenville. the main conern with any such idea is the rear bumper cut out for the bottom of the spare. there's barely an inch to spare for a larger tire. the only way any such rig will work if you somehow push the spare rearward enough to totally clear the cut out in the rear bumper.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
most importantly don't forget that a larger tire isn't going to fit in your funky dirt tread FJ tire cover.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts