Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all (and especially Californians), i moved down recently from washington to the bay area. im wondering if any of you would share some decent spots to go offroading around the bay area or within a few hours of the bay area. i ordered some books from amazon on the area, but was hoping that maybe a few of you might share some local knowledge.

cheers

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well,
There is this short trail not too far away... near Lake Tahoe.

I think they named a Jeep after it....

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheazhd said:
Well,
There is this short trail not too far away... near Lake Tahoe.

I think they named a Jeep after it....
um yea,......im well aware of that one. was more interested in local knowledge of some interesting spots not necessarily THAT well traveled. also some good local clubs would be cool too.

do they only allow jeeps on the rubicon???? :D

·
Registered
883 Posts
caliFJ said:
um yea,......im well aware of that one. was more interested in local knowledge of some interesting spots not necessarily THAT well traveled. also some good local clubs would be cool too.

You can come over and join us at TTORA! Both our NorCal and SoCal chapters are very active. Just depends on what type of wheelin interests you, rock crawling or desert racing! Check em out!

·
Registered
294 Posts
caliFJ said:

Yeah I know, I was joking.
The Rubicon Trail is open to any vehicle, dirt bikes, atv's too.

The Sierra's have plenty of areas for exploring / camping...but if you are looking for places to go and clubs to join there, I recommend staying away from "The Sierra Club". Thats like trying to pick up chicks at Lillithfair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here are some spots I like.

Go up Hiway 50 to kyburz then another 5 miles to Wrights lake road. Go the 8 miles to Wrights lake, then another 1/2 mile to Dark lake and there you will find the Barretts Jeep trail. It is six miles of pretty challenging trerrain. Not as difficult as Rubicon or Sierra trek, but a nice challenge up to a a gorgeous Barrett Lake. 3 1/2 hours from bay area

If you have dirt bikes or quads, head up to Stonyford in Mendocino National Forest. Go interstate 505 in vacaville, then interstate 5 to Williams then to Maxwell, then take turnoff to go to Stonyford. About 8 miles past Stonyford is the Fouts spring campground. Wide open trails for bike riding. Some of the best riding anywhere. 3 1/2 hours from bay area

Another fun, but not too challenging area is out of Fraser flat campground, Just before you get to Pinecrest Lake out of Sonora on hiway 108. Washed out forest roads take you to Stanislaus river and nice trout fishing. 3 1/2 hours from bay area

1 - 9 of 9 Posts