Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally :flame:happened. I saw it comming, :mecry:a dime sized rock. Right smack in the middle of the drivers side :flame:windshield. It hit hard, really hard. I heard it hit over Ted Nugent turned up to 50 on the FJammer. I called Geico and I have an appointment Friday afternoon to have the quarter sized circle and spiderweb fixed. Does this work? It's FREE to Geico customers. If it cannot be fixed they will replace the windshield for $50. So Easy a Caveman Can Do It !!!!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Well, it finally :flame:happened. I saw it comming, :mecry:a dime sized rock. Right smack in the middle of the drivers side :flame:windshield. It hit hard, really hard. I heard it hit over Ted Nugent turned up to 50 on the FJammer. I called Geico and I have an appointment Friday afternoon to have the quarter sized circle and spiderweb fixed. Does this work? It's FREE to Geico customers. If it cannot be fixed they will replace the windshield for $50. So Easy a Caveman Can Do It !!!!
I'm sorry to hear, but it sounds like you have good windshield coverage. I just up my coverage so my deductible is $100. I guess $100 for a new windshield isn't too bad...

You could always just cover it up with mud and dirt. That works for me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OH Yea, I've had my FJ for 15 months and this is still my original winder and NO truck winder would have taken that hit un-scratched....Mark.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Think of it like this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 4 more and you will be an ACE

·
Registered
851 Posts
That $50 deductible is awesome. Are these windshields still upwards of $1000? I haven't priced one in a while...

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had a bullseye repaired, you can stll see an outline of where it was but at least it stopped it from spreading. After further investigation though I have learned not all windshield repairman are created equal(some do better jobs than others). If it is an excellent repair it should almost be undetectable.

Oh btw, most insurance companies will pay for the repair and waive the deductible on repairs(not replacement) so it costs the customer nothing.

·
Registered
534 Posts
After further investigation though I have learned not all windshield repairman are created equal
I found this out the hard way when the glass repair guy who came out to replace the back window my old Jimmy, that someone had broken out, and the guy refused to do that job because.....well he really didn't know how to do it.

Me, a non wrenching chick, could see how easy it was to do, but NOTHING could make this guy try it.....not even repeated calls to the glass company with me EXPLAINING how the job could be accomplished.

The next guy they sent out came out and did it exactly the way I expected it neeeded to be done.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I was just going to start another thread on this same subject - my windshield took (another) pebble hit this morning on the way to work - leaving a dime-sized bullseye on the upper corner of the passenger side :(

The previous repair I had done a couple of months ago has held up well (no spreading), and is no more visible than when it was first performed. I do think I'd opt for full replacement if the "point-of-impact" was directly in my normal line of sight, as the repairs, however good, are NOT totally invisble.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I feel your pain. I just had a chip fixed last Tuesday and now today on I-17 another rock smacked it about as center of the windshield as you can get. @#$%^ at least I have free glass replacement and repair through Costco Insurance

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Guys, I am windshield number 4 in a little less than 2 years. The rocks like you are talking about though look like slow motion when it happens! It's like you want to move out of the way but you just can't. At least yours is a $50 fix. That rocks (no pun intended)!

Kim

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Sorry about your winshield, but at least you can get it replaced for only $50. :cheers:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Its amazing how good your eyesite gets when you have a windshield that splits like a watermellon with a hyperactive child with a baseball bat. I can see rocks cartwheeling down the freeway now all the time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was "egged" friday night by an oncoming vehicle. It hit the windshield while both of us were going atleast 45mph. I don't know the math on this, but it hit loud & hard! The egg hit so hard, the egg shell just disappeared! The new windshield DID NOT break! & it didn't etch the "egg circle" in the glass! I just got it two weeks ago, & the good guy price was $320 installed, & that was for a PPG windshield. I flipped around just in time to see the "rollers" on the county Sherriff light the guy up. I pulled up, showed the deputy the evidence, & the culprit & his buddy were charged & arrested, his pickup impounded, & his eggs in the carton on the front seat of his pickup were photographed for evidence. The Deputy was two cars behind me, & just happened to witness the whole thing. How often does that happen! I bought a lottery ticket that night!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.