Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a deer recently. I have been meaning to go aftermarket front bumper and winch so now is the time. With my high deductible I am only getting a $120 check. Bummer, if I would have known I probably wouldn't have filed a claim. I am going to do the install myself. I installed a Expedition One rear bumper so this should be in my wheelhouse, wiring up the winch will be something new for me since I haven't done electrical.

I guess the only risk if I DIY is if there is additional damage I may not notice which a body shop pro would. It's driving straight. I think it's unlikely there is additional damage.

Two (initial) questions.

If a pull the bumper off now is it unwise to run for a month or two without it?

Whats the busted green part called under the orange light? I need 2011 TT army green.

Attachments

·
A-Team Moderator
8,234 Posts
I say, Leave it on. It'll protect the lower end of the radiator and AC condenser.

The filler panel has one clip holding it on. If you haven't lost it yet, pull it off and buy a new clip. The panel part number should be on the back.

The E1 front bumpers are an easy install and weigh around 110-130# without the winch. If you go aftermarket bumper, you'll need to change the washer fluid reservoir too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir, I recovered the clip and the part number is 52512-35100-G0. If I am not mistaken the 2011 TT green is the same green as the non-TT green. I am looking at the Demello evil eye. I always thought I'd go aluminium but I may reconsider and go steel. I have an icon stage 2 suspension so should be good either way. Winch is TBD. The Shrockworks Disconnect Switch and Bracket looks good. The Shrockworks Windshield Washer Fluid Reservoir looks like a nice piece of engineering and it should be for that price.

Makes sense to leave the bumper in place in the interim (even though I'm itching to make it go away)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Bummer.

I have that little panel in white if you want it. I hit a drunk last fall and it was just dangling there, so I pulled it off and forgot to give it to the repair shop.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
I am looking at the Demello evil eye. I always thought I'd go aluminium but I may reconsider and go steel. I have an icon stage 2 suspension so should be good either way. Winch is TBD.
A few pieces of advice:

1. I've installed or help to install pretty much every major bumper made for the FJ, including the Demello. I'm not a fan. Control box mounting is always an issue and everything on this bumper is a tight fit. Personally, the easiest bumper to install is the Expedition One. If you expect to hit more deer, the ARB will be the strongest. If you expect to winch 100 times a year, the ARB will be the strongest (they clock the winches so that the bottom of the winch is facing forwards, I've never seen anybody else do this, it's an amazingly strong design).

The trade-off between the Expedition One and ARB offerings is style vs functionality. No that the Expedition One bumpers can't take a deer hit, but the ARB one is literally designed for hitting Kangaroos. So that's the decision I'd make in your situation: Expedition One vs ARB. I'm on my second Expedition One bumper ('11 FJ and '18 4Runner).

2. Pick your bumper before you pick your winch. In fact, I'd let the bumper manufacturer suggest the winch. They don't all fit every winch, and your biggest requirement is that the winch has to fit.

3. Don't sweat the wiring install on the winch, it's literally two great big wires: positive and negative. Directly to the battery is good, or if you want to control when you can use it, to some sort of electrical management system (SPOD etc) is good too.

4. For winch selection, wired > wireless as batteries go dead. Also, don't store your winch controller in the back of the truck, put it in your driver door pocket. One day when you get stuck and can't crawl to the back of your truck to get the winch controller, you'll understand why :)

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
The ARB is #1 for style also. Win, win
Not a chance :rofl: square, ugly, and overbuilt for killing 'roos:

VS angles and curves and stuff:

But seriously, if your goal is to buy the most metal from a bumper company for the least amount of money, the ARB is the way to go. There's a reason why you see so many of these, they're the battering ram of the aftermarket bumper world.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Not a chance :rofl: square, ugly, and overbuilt for killing 'roos:

VS angles and curves and stuff:

But seriously, if your goal is to buy the most metal from a bumper company for the least amount of money, the ARB is the way to go. There's a reason why you see so many of these, they're the battering ram of the aftermarket bumper world.

You really to show the ARB away from the mall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A winch is an easy install. Just be sure you don't link the live direct to the battery but install a fuse link and an isolator in line.
Does the Shrockworks Disconnect Switch and Bracket do both or is that just a partial solution? If not what would you suggest? My mechanical/electrical skills are not robust but I am ready to DIY and improve my skills so I appreciate all the input.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bummer.

I have that little panel in white if you want it. I hit a drunk last fall and it was just dangling there, so I pulled it off and forgot to give it to the repair shop.

Dan
Already ordered in the correct color but thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A few pieces of advice:
I must admit my fascination with DO evil eye is purely aesthetic. I'm in the ARB is ugly camp. My thought about aluminium is to keep the weight down/MPG up but I have probably already crossed that bridge with the steel E1 rear bumper I have. No rust would be nice, I'm in northern NM which does use salt but it's a low humidity place and I'm fanatical with getting under the vehicle during winter months at the self-serve car wash. People think I'm strange because to me washing the vehicle is all about the under carriage. I am am going to strongly consider the E1 steel bumper probably the diamond style. Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
28 Posts
1. I've installed or help to install pretty much every major bumper made for the FJ, including the Demello. I'm not a fan. Control box mounting is always an issue and everything on this bumper is a tight fit. Personally, the easiest bumper to install is the Expedition One. If you expect to hit more deer, the ARB will be the strongest. If you expect to winch 100 times a year, the ARB will be the strongest (they clock the winches so that the bottom of the winch is facing forwards, I've never seen anybody else do this, it's an amazingly strong design).

The trade-off between the Expedition One and ARB offerings is style vs functionality. No that the Expedition One bumpers can't take a deer hit, but the ARB one is literally designed for hitting Kangaroos. So that's the decision I'd make in your situation: Expedition One vs ARB. I'm on my second Expedition One bumper ('11 FJ and '18 4Runner).
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm also trying to make a decision on a front bumper, and deer are a major concern. I don't totally like how the ARB bumper looks, but that's a minor factor in the decision. I was wondering how the Shrockworks front bumper compares to the ARB bumper for the FJ, in regards to collisions? I've heard folks say that for the 4Runner the Shrockworks front bumper is supposed to be as solid as the ARB bumper, but I'm not sure if this is true for the FJ (or even if this is accurate for the 4Runner).

1 - 20 of 55 Posts