Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading for almost 2 hours and not really finding a direct answer to the many questions I have. I would appreciate any all help on this.

1. I'm installing a 12" JBL Sub with a amp that has 4 channel plus 1 sub channel. I'm also installing component 6.5's in the doors with tweeter in dash.
Was thinking about leaving my OEM sub in to fill the jump from 6.5 speakers to 12" sub. Oh and yes, I'm replacing HU with Kenwood BT, iPod, CD unit.
What is the factory subs ohms?

I want to run all the speakers off my new 5 channel amp and continue to run the OEM sub/mini OEM build in amp off my new head unit using the OEM speaker harness. Typically speaking, will the RCA outputs to my amp still work, if I'm also using the speaker wires OUTPUT off the HU to power my OEM Sub, or will they sense the RCA source and not send signal out via speaker wire to my OEM sub? OR will all outputs traditionally work no matter what is hooked up. (NOTE: Yes, I'm running all new wires from my new amp to all new speakers.) All I want off the back of the radio is a signal to the OEM sub using factory wires and signal off the back of the radio via RCA to my new amp.

Cuss Fuss Discuss? Good Bad Ugly of doing this?
OR is this a stupid game plan all together.........I can take it I'm a big boy..ha ha!
Thanks for any feedback you might have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Scott,
typically speaking with aftermarket components and sub, you shouldn't need a filler with the factory 8'', as long as you set your amp x-over points to co-inside with each other there really is no need to run the factory sub.
there is a downside, subwoofers of different sizes can actually cancel each others sound waves therefore you could actually lose volume or some frequencies.
that being said, your new decks rca's and speaker outputs should all work together, so yes you can run the factory sub off the speaker out's, and the 5ch. from the rca's and all will work.
the factory sub is as far as i know dual 2 ohm voicecoils, which is of no real relevance as your deck will only see the impedence of the amp ''input'' side, which should be 4 ohms. the output of the factory amp would see the 2 ohm's from the sub.
are you also running the rear channels of the 5 ch. to the rear speakers? or only using the sub channel and 2 front channels?
kenny

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't understand why would you want the 8" sub still hooked up while you have a 12" JBL. Kill the oem sub. As for your rca output you could use the harness still and use a LOC line out converter and the female plug above the rear tire well and convert the wires there from speaker wires to rca outs so you can hook up your amp. OR you could simply run rca cable from the HU to the amp. I would do this just because its easier and a great connection.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I think what everyone is saying is to kill the 8" sub and OEM internal amp?
Anyone else agree or disagree with not using the 8"????

·
Registered
125 Posts
Most definitely agree to kill it.

Please stop insisting about keeping the 8in sub. The factory sub is not even close to being spectacular. If you want, go do it. But no one will agree with you.

It's a waste of time trying to figure it out how to keep the 8in sub in play.

Keeping it out will make it simpler for you, and overall actually sound better.

More speakers does not equal better sound.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
The 12 is just going to overpower any noise the stock sub has to offer. It's useless in your application. So, another vote to kill it. You can sell it for a couple a bills on the forum. Use that money for more useful mods!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts