Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are taking a vacation this Summer in the Great Smoky Mountains. The plan was to take my new FJ on a few trails. (However, this will depend on if I actually have one by then. I am waiting, perhaps futilely, on a TTSE.) Can anyone point me to some place to do some off-roading? We will be staying in various places between Maggie Valley, NC and Gatlinburg, TN. My wife will be with me, so I guess we are looking for milder trails with nice views. It could be actual OHV parks, old roads, etc. Anything really.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Coal Creek in TN
Harlan in KY

·
Registered
614 Posts
IN the National Park? I doubt it. At most you'll find unpaved roads to the campgrounds. The NP doesn't allow OHV'g.
However, you can find plenty out & around the park.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I am new to off-roading and thought there might be something in the park. I learn something everyday. I will look into the suggestions for outside the park.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Go by the Sugarland Visitor Center in Gatlinburg and ask the Park Ranger about Parson Branch Rd (this road takes you from Cades Cove to The Dragons Tail) and the roads in the in Cataloochee area. These are fire roads, but that's the best your going to get inside the park.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go by the Sugarland Visitor Center in Gatlinburg and ask the Park Ranger about Parson Branch Rd (this road takes you from Cades Cove to The Dragons Tail) and the roads in the in Cataloochee area. These are fire roads, but that's the best your going to get inside the park.
Thanks, I will definitely do this. My wife would probably prefer this to more challenging roads.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
All suggestions above are Great! Check out Max Patch...Gawds country!

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
fj6high is right, you will want drive up to Max Patch. In GSNP you want to visit Cataloochee. You can see the Elk there. Out of there take Waterville Road back to I 40. Take I 40 east and exit on Cold SpringRoad to Max Patch Road. These are simple dirt roads, nothing of a challenge but great scenery. Google map them and search GSNP for more info.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I am wrapping up my vacation in the Great Smokey Mountains. I went on most of the one-way roads and fire service roads mentioned. I had a great time and was able to spend some time off the beaten path. Parson Branch Road was by far the best. Although I was able to see a little more wildlife on Balsam Mountain Road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts