Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJ MT
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice: I have a 2007 MT with 219k on it and it looks like it's eating a bit of oil. I have checked for oil leaks underneath and obvious things like blue smoke - nothing. In general everything runs as it should, that being said, I am fairly certain that I filled it with the right amount of oil, so it went somewhere...

So short of full engine rebuild, I was wondering if it would make sense to do one of them oil flushes (probably liquimoli) and may be drop the oil pan to clean.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
You really need to determine where the oil going and the actual rate of oil loss in miles-per-quart before doing anything.

Being "fairly certain" that you filled it with the correct amount of oil is not good enough.

With the vehicle on a dead-level surface and the oil at operating temperature, note exactly where the oil is on the dipstick. Add oil to bring the level up to the top mark, and record the odometer reading.

Drive the vehicle while checking oil level weekly. When the oil level drops to the lower mark, record the odometer reading and the amount of oil required to bring the oil level (hot) back up to the top mark, and calculate the oil loss in miles-per-quart.

If you are consuming oil at a greater rate than about 1 quart every 3k miles you have excessive oil consumption.

Then, have a mechanic perform a cylinder leakdown test to determine if worn piston rings are a factor. If the rings are worn, then you are looking at an engine overhaul, but if the engine has been properly maintained and not abused the rings should not be 'worn out' at only 219K miles.

Other questions:
1. When was the PCV valve last replaced? Excessive crankcase pressure from a restricted PCV valve can cause excessive oil consumption.
2. What viscosity oil are you using? A higher mileage engine should be running at least 10W-30 oil.
3. Have you meticulously inspected the entire engine exterior for any signs of oil leakage?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'd check what FJtest asked with his questions. Then if addressing any of those questions doesn't work, then I'd just keep an eye on the oil level and add as needed and run it until it's dead then have it overhauled or purchase a ready to go already overhauled engine.

·
Registered
2007 FJ MT
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You really need to determine where the oil going and the actual rate of oil loss in miles-per-quart before doing anything.

Being "fairly certain" that you filled it with the correct amount of oil is not good enough.

With the vehicle on a dead-level surface and the oil at operating temperature, note exactly where the oil is on the dipstick. Add oil to bring the level up to the top mark, and record the odometer reading.

Drive the vehicle while checking oil level weekly. When the oil level drops to the lower mark, record the odometer reading and the amount of oil required to bring the oil level (hot) back up to the top mark, and calculate the oil loss in miles-per-quart.

If you are consuming oil at a greater rate than about 1 quart every 3k miles you have excessive oil consumption.

Then, have a mechanic perform a cylinder leakdown test to determine if worn piston rings are a factor. If the rings are worn, then you are looking at an engine overhaul, but if the engine has been properly maintained and not abused the rings should not be 'worn out' at only 219K miles.

Other questions:
1. When was the PCV valve last replaced? Excessive crankcase pressure from a restricted PCV valve can cause excessive oil consumption.
2. What viscosity oil are you using? A higher mileage engine should be running at least 10W-30 oil.
3. Have you meticulously inspected the entire engine exterior for any signs of oil leakage?

FJtest comes to save the day again. I shall do as you say and will report the results.
In terms of other questions:
This might have not been done at all - I shall get on it
Using Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30
I believe so, I will keep looking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you do a "flush", you run the risk of knocking any gelled oil in the heads loose, which could make matters worse. Another quick test is to check for oil ash deposits on spark plugs which is an indicator of internal oil consumption. As FJtest says, if the PCV valve doesn't solve it, the leak down is the only way to figure it out, but as Nameuser said, you can just add til it really becomes a problem, which is what most folks do anyway. Another alternative is to get a low mileage engine from a bone yard (Toyota uses this engine a lot); some will do the swap for you, at a fee, of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts