Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil today on my 2011 FJ Cruiser, replaced both rubber gaskets on the housing and used the stock Toyota filter. I tightened it to spec but noticed it leaking slowly between where the screw on housing mates against the metal mounting unit. I tried to tighten it a bit more which did help, but there is still some slight seepage along the mating joint. The only thing I can think of is there is debris on the mating surfaces in the joint itself or the large rubber gasket is not seated properly. Guess I need to remove the housing and see what I find, anyone else have this happen? Thoughts? Can I drain the filter from the bottom as if I were changing it and remove the screw-off housing without losing all of the new oil I poured in today?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Did you apply any oil to the large O-ring before you re-installed it? It sounds like the large O-ring folded over when you screwed it back in. You should be able to remove the filter housing and see if the O-ring can be saved if it has not torn or snapped.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Can I drain the filter from the bottom as if I were changing it and remove the screw-off housing without losing all of the new oil I poured in today?
Yes, you will just lose the oil in the filter chamber.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you apply any oil to the large O-ring before you re-installed it? It sounds like the large O-ring folded over when you screwed it back in. You should be able to remove the filter housing and see if the O-ring can be saved if it has not torn or snapped.
You know, I don't think I did, I remember seeing oil inside the housing and thinking that should be enough to lube it. I have another rubber gasket if that one is ruined. I will check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went ahead and replaced both o-rings even though the originals looked fine when I got the filter housing apart. I drove it around after putting it back together and there don't appear to be any leaks, go figure, hey all is well for now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Something I've observed. If those silicone o-rings are not lubricated before installation, what happens is that they will bind a little when the canister is turned and installed. The torque stretches the o-ring in some places and crimps it in others. Then you get little kinks in the o-ring, which breaks the seal and causes small leaks. You won't see the damage unless those kinks stay long enough to take a set, but I doubt you'd put up with an oil leak that long.

I had some jar top irrigation valves that had silicone o-rings as seals. When I first installed them, they kept leaking, no matter how hard I screwed down the cap. I kept taking them apart looking for damaged o-rings, but nothing ever showed. Then I decided to lubricate the o-rings with some silicone grease. No more leaks after that. I figured the o-rings were kinking as I screwed down the tops and breaking the seal. The grease solved that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something I've observed. If those silicone o-rings are not lubricated before installation, what happens is that they will bind a little when the canister is turned and installed. The torque stretches the o-ring in some places and crimps it in others. Then you get little kinks in the o-ring, which breaks the seal and causes small leaks. You won't see the damage unless those kinks stay long enough to take a set, but I doubt you'd put up with an oil leak that long.

I had some jar top irrigation valves that had silicone o-rings as seals. When I first installed them, they kept leaking, no matter how hard I screwed down the cap. I kept taking them apart looking for damaged o-rings, but nothing ever showed. Then I decided to lubricate the o-rings with some silicone grease. No more leaks after that. I figured the o-rings were kinking as I screwed down the tops and breaking the seal. The grease solved that.
I did oil the o-rings the 2nd time around and it didn't leak, so it seems plausible that no oil the first time caused the leak. I was surprised as there was a fair amount of oil on the canister walls during the first attempt so I thought there was plenty of lubrication....guess not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts