Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, my 2007 FJ looks like some oil leak issues. Mine is a project FJ, as it was totally burtally half murdered by previous owner and left little life in it, since I am a Toyota lover, trying my best to get it back in shape.

Issue: when we did oil change, found oil sediments below engine. It was kind of soaked and it was there for long time I guess.

Mechanic guy, local guy who have no idea Toyota made FJ model (only going for small jobs, as he is affordable) told it might be because of top engine gasket.

Requesting experts thoughts here. Please find attached images in all angels.

@FJtest
IMG_20200126_193255.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Picture taken : Right side of engine, left side not very bad as right. Put engine oil two weeks back and level haven't dropped (I guess). Front belts and pulleys got no oil stains.
@kokopelli

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Weeping valve cover gaskets, cheap and easy to replace.

Make sure you fully de-gunk the exterior of the engine before pulling the valve covers; you don't want any grit, etc. falling into the top end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weeping valve cover gaskets, cheap and easy to replace.

Make sure you fully de-gunk the exterior of the engine before pulling the valve covers; you don't want any grit, etc. falling into the top end.
Thank you so much @FJtest , glad to know it's a cheap fix :) Sure , will clean up the exterior before doing that. Question : That's not where we can check the timing belt strech , right? That's a different spot right? Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
No timing belt on the 1GR-FE engine used in the FJ, all cam drive is via chains.

On the front of the engine block, passenger side cylinder bank, is a rectangular metal access plate that allows you to see how far the tensioner for the primary cam drive chain is extended. A fully-extended tensioner indicates a worn (elongated) timing chain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@FJtest , excuse me I meant was timing chain , thanks for the clarification though. Going to pressure wash the engine, then will try to get the top gasket changed. Never did anything like that before, let's see how that goes :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts