Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed my FJ was making noises when downshifting yesterday, and it got worse quick. I checked oil levels, and the dipstick came out bone dry.

Topped it up with oil, and noticed a slow (1x/10 seconds) drip below.

Attached is picture of the only obvious leak I could find...what is going on here?

I had all of the timing chain stuff replaced 6 months ago at the dealer, and a bunch of suspension work done then too.

Pics attached.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
https://ibb.co/nsSH5Rv

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The leak is trickling out of the white plug in about an inch to the left of the oil filter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I'll get that done asap. Is there a high likelihood that this is related to anything else? Should be pretty easy to just swap a new oil pressure switch / sender. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
So I noticed my FJ was making noises when downshifting yesterday, and it got worse quick. I checked oil levels, and the dipstick came out bone dry.
When you say “making noises”, can you be more specific?

What was the oil pressure light doing when the engine (presumably) was clattering?

On a pre-2010 model with bucket tappets, it’s likely that the first sound an engine with no oil pressure will make is bearing knock.

If the rod or main bearings were oil-starved for more than a few seconds, you may be looking at far more than just replacing a failed oil pressure sender.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was making knocking noises, but only faintly when decelerating / engine breaking. The oil pressure light never lit up, in fact nothing unusual displayed on the dash. I was pretty shocked when the dip stick came out bone dry, and I filled 5qts of oil to get it to show filled on the dip stick.

Im checking to see if it's just an o ring that needs to be replaced in the oil pressure switch / sender. Hopefully it does the trick...or if I have to replace the switch, it's not overly expensive anyways.

·
Admin
8,067 Posts
Wow.
Keep us posted on how this goes!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
13,374 Posts
The sender is cheap and easy to replace. I spent more time cleaning the mess from it leaking than replacing the sender.

·
Desert Moderator
7,608 Posts
Good luck on that.
I'd be paying a visit to whoever did the work on your timing chain...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So a new pressure switch / sender has been installed and it seems to be holding oil for now.

I had to shampoo the engine bay carefully to clean up the mess, it was brutal under there. I may do it again with the pressure washer on the light "engine cleaning" setting.

Thank you all for the immense help, I feel like this forum has always been so reliable. Winterpeg and Mikey have been chiming in with wise words since I joined almost 10 years ago, it's unreal to think about.

Amaclach, I do wonder if he dealership somehow caused this to happen when doing the timing chain work...it was almost 5 months ago, and my FJ has gone through a record breaking cold winter here...it's hard to say, and I am just super reluctant to let them near my truck unless absolutely necessary.

I am going to have to bring it in soon to get a third gear grinding issue looked at (I think a synchro needs replacing). So maybe I'll mention the oil leak to them then.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No known damage, and the knocking stopped as soon as i refilled oil (5qts) before replacing oil pressure switch. Your initial response in this thread really got me off in the right direction, thanks big time!

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
So a new pressure switch / sender has been installed and it seems to be holding oil for now.

I had to shampoo the engine bay carefully to clean up the mess, it was brutal under there. I may do it again with the pressure washer on the light "engine cleaning" setting.
Oil sender leaks generally develop slowly over time, starting with seepage of a barely detectable oil film, and gradually increasing to the "drip" stage over a period of months. I have never heard of a sender failing catastrophically with an immediate significant oil leak rate.

Do you habitually check your oil, coolant, and brake fluid levels, and give the engine bay a quick visual check EVERY time you refuel? This is a pretty effective method for detecting problems at the earliest point, before they become potential disasters.

I hate to say this, but even though your engine seems to be running fine, the rod bearings were almost certainly damaged to some extent by running dry, even if only for a few seconds. They undoubtedly were running in an oil-starved condition for some time before they started to audibly knock.

It might be useful to temporarily plumb a conventional oil pressure gauge into the system and determine what the "hot-idle" oil pressure is. That, and if you don't drive in sub-zero weather, use oil no thinner than 10W-30 or 20W-40.

(Toyota recommends oil viscosities as heavy as 20W-50 in the 1GR-FE engine in countries other than the USA, where they don't need to meet the US EPA's fuel-efficiency standards.)

Your third-gear grinding issue may actually be related to the clutch not releasing completely. How many miles on the odo, does the vehicle still have the original clutch and throw-out bearing, and are there any other indications that the clutch might be dragging slightly?

You might try bleeding the clutch hydraulic system first to eliminate any air bubbles that might have gotten into the system, and to purge the old contaminated fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This morning my 2007 FJ is doing the exact same thing. 398,000 kms. I don't have knocking though. 🤞 I popped the hood to add windshield washer fluid. I noticed oil everywhere. Hopefully it hadn't ran too long, oil was not on the dipstick.

This has been helpful. I saw the video on youtube. I'd suggest addition info on youtube or a link to this forum. I found it because I'm digging for a solution.

I going to swap the sensor and add oil. Thanks for posting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts