Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 FJ has developed an oil leak on the right (passenger) side of the engine near the timing chain cover plate, just forward of the oil dip stick. It is not a bad leak, just enough to soak the dirt on that part of the engine. I'm taking it to the dealer on Thursday (still under factory warranty), but I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems. I know the leak just developed because I check my oil every time I fill up and I saw it for the first time last Saturday. My truck has just over 34K miles on it. Since a picture is worth a 1000 words, I’ve attached a couple.

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Looks like normal seepage to me. I wouldn't even mess with it but it looks to be an easy fix (gasket replacement).

DEWFPO

·
Registered
353 Posts
ENGINE
EG050-07

Title:
OIL LEAK FROM FRONT TIMING COVER

Models:
'07 FJ Cruiser (1GR-FE)

December 5, 2007

Introduction
Some 2007 model year FJ Cruiser vehicles with 1GR-FE engines may display evidence of a small oil leak located where the Bank 1 cylinder head, engine block, and timing cover meet. Use the following repair procedure to address this condition.

Above is the TSB for this problem. Do you trust your dealership enuf to tear the front of your motor off is the big question.....

Cliff notes- front diff dropped, oil pan off, all acc's and drive pullies off front of motor, timing cover off. Clean it up and glue it all back together. There are no gaskets it's all silicone..... I'm a Porsche Tech (for whatever that's worth) and my Taco mtr has the same oil seep/damp spot. I'm gonna live with it.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
ENGINE
EG050-07

Title:

Models:
'07 FJ Cruiser (1GR-FE)

December 5, 2007

Introduction
Some 2007 model year FJ Cruiser vehicles with 1GR-FE engines may display evidence of a small oil leak located where the Bank 1 cylinder head, engine block, and timing cover meet. Use the following repair procedure to address this condition.

Above is the TSB for this problem. Do you trust your dealership enuf to tear the front of your motor off is the big question.....

Cliff notes- front diff dropped, oil pan off, all acc's and drive pullies off front of motor, timing cover off. Clean it up and glue it all back together. There are no gaskets it's all silicone..... I'm a Porsche Tech (for whatever that's worth) and my Taco mtr has the same oil seep/damp spot. I'm gonna live with it.
No kidding... Thanks for that TSB. Anyway, that sounds like a recipe for someone to screw it up... that's a lot of things to take off and put back together. I'm glad the FJ comes with a timing chain. LOL

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ENGINE
EG050-07

Title:

Models:
'07 FJ Cruiser (1GR-FE)

December 5, 2007

Introduction

Thanks for the info. I thought it may simply be the small cover held on by those 4 bolts.

No, I don't trust the dealership that much, but my concern is that it may get worse and then I gotta fix it on my dime. I have less than 2,000 miles left on the factory warrenty. I'll let the techs at the dealer check it out and see what they say. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Thanks for the info. I thought it may simply be the small cover held on by those 4 bolts.

No, I don't trust the dealership that much, but my concern is that it may get worse and then I gotta fix it on my dime. I have less than 2,000 miles left on the factory warrenty. I'll let the techs at the dealer check it out and see what they say. Thanks again for the info.
Just get it documented... make sure you have a copy. If it is recorded before the warranty period is up... you are safe.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Yep good advice to leave it alone...If it isn’t broke don’t fix it could cause a chain reaction of down hill problems if disturbed, and if times are slow for them they will try to tell you have other problems THEY FOUND while in there and here we go its a down hill mess from there...FYI I worked as a tech in a dealership for 11 years.. I know, did I do those things...well only if I saw a problem would I add to the RO. I was instructed to sale sale sale work...Even if it was questionable---I would have the shop Forman come and approve or disapprove before going forward but they always wanted to have more work. So read between the lines if you will..I always kept a record of things the upper command made me do that I knew was bogus, to keep my ass out of trouble. I’ve seen them axe techs when field warranty reps came by to check on things and question warranty ROs.

As a customer I had this happen to me but what they did not know was. I was a tech and I could tell if the work was done or not..WORTH THE READ...

I noticed a small drip form the rear end of my forrunner. I took it in to local yoto dealer. I had extended warranty 50 dollar deduct. I left it with them. 1st call I got was --Oh its cozmolin dripping off the rear-end. They put that on them overseas before they ship parts over the big water no problem found. Ok I thought. 1 hour later I get a call and then it was---"we looked at it again and yes it is leaking and not only that but your frt. timing chain cover is leaking as well." I was kind of taken back thinking I didn’t see a leak up there. Oh well seeing how I have to pay a deductable anyway go ahead and fix it..I said..

I picked it up 2 days later. Paid my deductable and got my truck BUT before I left knowing dealership practices. I opened the hood and looked. As a tech you can tell if the bolts and nuts and in fact if anything was removed and worked on. It had not. No wrench marks on nuts that held timing cover and the dust was still on the motor kind of like that dust on this Fj motor that started this thread. I knew that had not been done, No question. So I then crawled under the back of the truck and looked WTF they did not even change the seals back there it was obvious again as well. AND they want me to pay a 50 dollar deductable. The rule in the dealership is this--If you sell it do it! Plain and simple. Don’t turn in an old rear-end seal and then right up the ticket as if you did it. DO IT! That keeps it all fair to all from other techs, customers, everyone involved.

So I went and got the service adviser and the shop Forman I informed them that I was a tech. I knew what I was talking about and “the bull**** stops here fellas”. I pointed out the lack of marks on timing chain cover and rear end. They could not say anything they knew they were busted. I also pointed out I paid a 50 deductable for what? They were embarrassed to say the least. They asked me to stay right there and they would go get my 50 dollar check. I waited and they came back with my check and an apology.

So be diligent and check your truck out BEFORE you leave. If it’s not broke don’t fix it, and if by any chance you can keep from taking your truck in I say your better off. I even change my oil myself, even if they offer free oil changes. I ask for the filters and then I go buy my oil myself. I have seen to many crooked things happen from sabotage to bogus claims. I’m sorry to say I worked there among them but I will tell you if I sold it I did it and I never screwed a customer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just get it documented... make sure you have a copy. If it is recorded before the warranty period is up... you are safe.
+1, also I'm pretty sure it's covered under the 5/60 powertrain warr.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All, thanks for the great advice and info. If the repair is as in-depth as disassembling the front of the engine, I'll live with the small leak. Does anyone have the TSB in its entirety? I looked on the WWW, but couldn't find it for free.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep good advice to leave it alone...If it isn’t broke don’t fix it could cause a chain reaction of down hill problems if disturbed, and if times are slow for them they will try to tell you have other problems THEY FOUND while in there and here we go its a down hill mess from there...FYI I worked as a tech in a dealership for 11 years.. I know, did I do those things...well only if I saw a problem would I add to the RO. I was instructed to sale sale sale work...Even if it was questionable---I would have the shop Forman come and approve or disapprove before going forward but they always wanted to have more work. So read between the lines if you will..I always kept a record of things the upper command made me do that I knew was bogus, to keep my ass out of trouble. I’ve seen them axe techs when field warranty reps came by to check on things and question warranty ROs.

As a customer I had this happen to me but what they did not know was. I was a tech and I could tell if the work was done or not..WORTH THE READ...

I noticed a small drip form the rear end of my forrunner. I took it in to local yoto dealer. I had extended warranty 50 dollar deduct. I left it with them. 1st call I got was --Oh its cozmolin dripping off the rear-end. They put that on them overseas before they ship parts over the big water no problem found. Ok I thought. 1 hour later I get a call and then it was---"we looked at it again and yes it is leaking and not only that but your frt. timing chain cover is leaking as well." I was kind of taken back thinking I didn’t see a leak up there. Oh well seeing how I have to pay a deductable anyway go ahead and fix it..I said..

I picked it up 2 days later. Paid my deductable and got my truck BUT before I left knowing dealership practices. I opened the hood and looked. As a tech you can tell if the bolts and nuts and in fact if anything was removed and worked on. It had not. No wrench marks on nuts that held timing cover and the dust was still on the motor kind of like that dust on this Fj motor that started this thread. I knew that had not been done, No question. So I then crawled under the back of the truck and looked WTF they did not even change the seals back there it was obvious again as well. AND they want me to pay a 50 dollar deductable. The rule in the dealership is this--If you sell it do it! Plain and simple. Don’t turn in an old rear-end seal and then right up the ticket as if you did it. DO IT! That keeps it all fair to all from other techs, customers, everyone involved.

So I went and got the service adviser and the shop Forman I informed them that I was a tech. I knew what I was talking about and “the bull**** stops here fellas”. I pointed out the lack of marks on timing chain cover and rear end. They could not say anything they knew they were busted. I also pointed out I paid a 50 deductable for what? They were embarrassed to say the least. They asked me to stay right there and they would go get my 50 dollar check. I waited and they came back with my check and an apology.

So be diligent and check your truck out BEFORE you leave. If it’s not broke don’t fix it, and if by any chance you can keep from taking your truck in I say your better off. I even change my oil myself, even if they offer free oil changes. I ask for the filters and then I go buy my oil myself. I have seen to many crooked things happen from sabotage to bogus claims. I’m sorry to say I worked there among them but I will tell you if I sold it I did it and I never screwed a customer.
A few years ago I took my wife's minivan in to have the EGR valve changed and the tech tried to tell me the EGR valve failed because of a dirty fuel system and for $75 he could add a "special" cleaner to the gas tank that would fix it. I told him to p!ss up a rope.

The world is full of people trying to pry the $$ from your wallet, that is for sure. I could never screw someone over like that either. I like to sleep at night.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I had mine to leak before the first oil change. Get it fix now will the warranty will cover it. It will be harder to get fixed later. A small leak will soon be a big leak.

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
You have to weigh the risk. I have learned (many times I might add) that sometimes a small problem is best left as a small problem. I have had small problems become large ones because the dealership tried to fix a small problem. As my wonderful wife would say, isn't 98% perfect good enough. I have learned that she is right.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All, here is an update to the oil leak problem on my truck. The real leak is not shown in the pictures I posted earlier. The real leak is further back. I took the truck to my local dealer this morning and showed the technician the stain that you all saw in the two pictures above. He grabbed a flashlight and looked down and further back and we both saw fresh oil running down the side of the block. I couldn't believe it wasn't dripping on my driveway as bad as it was leaking! He explained that the repair would require removing the timing chain cover and resealing it, essentially tearing apart the entire front of my engine. They gave me a tacoma as a loaner and said it should be ready tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I'm nervous about having such a major repair done on my truck, but after seeing the severity of the leak I knew it had to be addressed sooner or later. It might as well be on thier dime and not mine.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
All, here is an update to the oil leak problem on my truck. The real leak is not shown in the pictures I posted earlier. The real leak is further back. I took the truck to my local dealer this morning and showed the technician the stain that you all saw in the two pictures above. He grabbed a flashlight and looked down and further back and we both saw fresh oil running down the side of the block. I couldn't believe it wasn't dripping on my driveway as bad as it was leaking! He explained that the repair would require removing the timing chain cover and resealing it, essentially tearing apart the entire front of my engine. They gave me a tacoma as a loaner and said it should be ready tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I'm nervous about having such a major repair done on my truck, but after seeing the severity of the leak I knew it had to be addressed sooner or later. It might as well be on thier dime and not mine.
What dealer did you take it to? I haven't had to go to the dealer yet, but want to know of a good one before I do.:cheers:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
What dealer did you take it to? I haven't had to go to the dealer yet, but want to know of a good one before I do.:cheers:
Tony Divino in Riverdale. I'll definately let you know how it all turns out. Sharing our dealer experiences in forums such as these force them to stay on their toes and to treat customers right.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Tony Divino in Riverdale. I'll definately let you know how it all turns out. Sharing our dealer experiences in forums such as these force them to stay on their toes and to treat customers right.
Awesome I agree! My Dad actually grew up with Tony Divino.:lol: I would have bought from him but he only had autos at the time, and Menlove had the exact FJ I wanted. Black 6MT:clap:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I picked up my FJ this morning and all is well. The dealer removed the front timing chain cover and resealed it. The repair involved removing most of the front of the engine, oil pan, and front diff. The leak is fixed and the truck runs great! I'll take it for some light off-roading this weekend, but I don't expect any problems.

I was a little nervous about getting such major engine work accomplished on my truck. We've all heard the horror stories of shady dealers and I've had my own past experiences with less than honest dealer technicians, but I'm pretty happy with how this worked out. My truck was ready when they said it would be and they didn't try to push any unnecessary maintenance. Even though the maintenance reminder light was flashing in the dash, they didn't even try to sell me an oil change.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts