Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I picked up my FJ this morning and all is well. ....The leak is fixed and the truck runs great! .
Glad it was fixed without incident.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I picked up my FJ this morning and all is well. The dealer removed the front timing chain cover and resealed it....The repair involved removing most of the front of the engine, oil pan, and front diff. Even though the maintenance reminder light was flashing in the dash, they didn't even try to sell me an oil change.
Um, so...did they reuse the oil that was in the engine when it all drained out??? Is the same filter on the engine? Methinks you got an oil change for free with the service because it HAD to be drained for them to get the job done. Unless of course they drained it all out and never refilled it...in which case you should start hearing a faint knocking anytime now.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Um, so...did they reuse the oil that was in the engine when it all drained out??? Is the same filter on the engine? Methinks you got an oil change for free with the service because it HAD to be drained for them to get the job done. Unless of course they drained it all out and never refilled it...in which case you should start hearing a faint knocking anytime now.
Yes, they put fresh oil and coolent in. The point I was trying to make is that they didn't try and sell any unrelated maintenance like many dealers would have done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same leak develop on my 07 FJ with 32K miles. They told me the Timing Case Cover was leaking. I had a lot of oil under the engine. Before I had the dealer do anything I had a friend of mine who is a GM Tech check and he confirmed. It has been a week and I an going to pick her up tomorrow. They told me it was a 14 hour warranty job and basically had to take everything off the front of the engine.

I am hoping they know what they are doing as most people said to leave it be.
I am a pilot so that side of me said if it leaks fix it.

I wish I would have read all the post first as I probably would have just let it be for now.

Will let everyone know what happens

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Mine was leaking before first oil change 2,800 miles was fixed has not leaked now have 38,890 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2007 FJ has developed an oil leak on the right (passenger) side of the engine near the timing chain cover plate, just forward of the oil dip stick. It is not a bad leak, just enough to soak the dirt on that part of the engine. I'm taking it to the dealer on Thursday (still under factory warranty), but I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems. I know the leak just developed because I check my oil every time I fill up and I saw it for the first time last Saturday. My truck has just over 34K miles on it. Since a picture is worth a 1000 words, I’ve attached a couple.

I have the same problem. It is a timing chain leak. Will get worse. $2500 repair. 18.5 hour job. Will happen to all FJs eventually. Get ready to eat the repair. They will not take care of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem. It is a timimg chain gasket problem, Cheap gasket but everything has to come off above it. 18.5 hour job. $2500.00 Get ready to eat it. They will not take care of it. It will happen to your FJ.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have the same problem. It is a timimg chain gasket problem, Cheap gasket but everything has to come off above it. 18.5 hour job. $2500.00 Get ready to eat it. They will not take care of it. It will happen to your FJ.
They did take care of it. Zero dollars from my pocket. It is also covered under the 60K mile power train warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info. I thought it may simply be the small cover held on by those 4 bolts.

No, I don't trust the dealership that much, but my concern is that it may get worse and then I gotta fix it on my dime. I have less than 2,000 miles left on the factory warrenty. I'll let the techs at the dealer check it out and see what they say. Thanks again for the info.
Better get it done. Takes 18.5 hours and cost $2500. That ain't no simple repair. I never received a notice and mine is out of warranty. You don't expect to eat a $2500 repair. BYe Bye Toyota

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Mine is 07 too, (build date 01/07) though no leaks so far.

I re-torqued the bolts anyway.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Mine is 07 too, (build date 01/07) though no leaks so far.

I re-torqued the bolts anyway.
First, damn your engine is clean! Second, the leak does not involve those four bolts in the picture. It is the gasket that mates the entire front of the engine, of which those four bolts are only a part, to the block. Not every FJ will get the leak. The leak in my truck was further back and very hard to see without a flashlight.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep good advice to leave it alone...If it isn’t broke don’t fix it could cause a chain reaction of down hill problems if disturbed, and if times are slow for them they will try to tell you have other problems THEY FOUND while in there and here we go its a down hill mess from there...FYI I worked as a tech in a dealership for 11 years.. I know, did I do those things...well only if I saw a problem would I add to the RO. I was instructed to sale sale sale work...Even if it was questionable---I would have the shop Forman come and approve or disapprove before going forward but they always wanted to have more work. So read between the lines if you will..I always kept a record of things the upper command made me do that I knew was bogus, to keep my ass out of trouble. I’ve seen them axe techs when field warranty reps came by to check on things and question warranty ROs.

As a customer I had this happen to me but what they did not know was. I was a tech and I could tell if the work was done or not..WORTH THE READ...

I noticed a small drip form the rear end of my forrunner. I took it in to local yoto dealer. I had extended warranty 50 dollar deduct. I left it with them. 1st call I got was --Oh its cozmolin dripping off the rear-end. They put that on them overseas before they ship parts over the big water no problem found. Ok I thought. 1 hour later I get a call and then it was---"we looked at it again and yes it is leaking and not only that but your frt. timing chain cover is leaking as well." I was kind of taken back thinking I didn’t see a leak up there. Oh well seeing how I have to pay a deductable anyway go ahead and fix it..I said..

I picked it up 2 days later. Paid my deductable and got my truck BUT before I left knowing dealership practices. I opened the hood and looked. As a tech you can tell if the bolts and nuts and in fact if anything was removed and worked on. It had not. No wrench marks on nuts that held timing cover and the dust was still on the motor kind of like that dust on this Fj motor that started this thread. I knew that had not been done, No question. So I then crawled under the back of the truck and looked WTF they did not even change the seals back there it was obvious again as well. AND they want me to pay a 50 dollar deductable. The rule in the dealership is this--If you sell it do it! Plain and simple. Don’t turn in an old rear-end seal and then right up the ticket as if you did it. DO IT! That keeps it all fair to all from other techs, customers, everyone involved.

So I went and got the service adviser and the shop Forman I informed them that I was a tech. I knew what I was talking about and “the bull**** stops here fellas”. I pointed out the lack of marks on timing chain cover and rear end. They could not say anything they knew they were busted. I also pointed out I paid a 50 deductable for what? They were embarrassed to say the least. They asked me to stay right there and they would go get my 50 dollar check. I waited and they came back with my check and an apology.

So be diligent and check your truck out BEFORE you leave. If it’s not broke don’t fix it, and if by any chance you can keep from taking your truck in I say your better off. I even change my oil myself, even if they offer free oil changes. I ask for the filters and then I go buy my oil myself. I have seen to many crooked things happen from sabotage to bogus claims. I’m sorry to say I worked there among them but I will tell you if I sold it I did it and I never screwed a customer.
Thank you for this post. It reinforces the experiences I have had through the course of my motoring life and gives me the continued inspiration to turn my own wrench.

If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. :slant:

·
Registered
69 Posts
For what it's worth, a mechanic at a Toyota dealership discovered mine at 110k miles and said that it rarely leaks enough oil to be noticeable at the dipstick. The repair is $3k more or less. if you Google it you will see a large number of posts about this at Tacomaworld. Like many of them I'm taking a wait and see attitude. Until I see it on the garage floor or on the dipstick level. Here is the TSB http://www.toyotapart.com/OIL_LEAK_FROM_FRONT_TIMING_COVER_T-EG049-07.pdf

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is this an oil leak? passenger side near the dip stick, only spot with a black residue like this. 2007 FJ Cruiser 193000k

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
I wouldn't so much call this a leak as I would a "seep".

DEWFPO

Reactions: Sparky of NWO

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
You aren't dripping oil and not having to add oil so I personally wouldn't worry about it. If the way it looks bothers you, you could always use a safe spray-on degreaser like simple green and a brush to clean it up. No worries.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
58 Posts
You aren't dripping oil and not having to add oil so I personally wouldn't worry about it. If the way it looks bothers you, you could always use a safe spray-on degreaser like simple green and a brush to clean it up. No worries.

DEWFPO
Ok thanks! I cleaned it today with gunk engine degreaser and spray it with gunk shine, all good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok thanks! I cleaned it today with gunk engine degreaser and spray it with gunk shine, all good.
For those Toyota owners that do not like oil leaks but also do not want to spend 3000 dealer bucks OR try to disassemble the world and fix it from the inside- THERE IS HOPE! If you clean the area, down to squeeky clean starting with degreaser, followed by spray electrical cleaner, scrubbing, etc... You can spray on this stuff on the OUTSIDE of the leak, and you stand a chance of stopping it like I did. This fix has held for 2400 miles thus far, whereas before I had a nasty dripping mess.

You have to TAPE OFF anything you do not want this stuff on, because it ends up like a plastic coating that you may never remove. I have a 2007 FJ that had the leak when I bought it- Yes I use synthetic oil- I do not know if using conventional oil would help the leak situation? Here is a pic of the famous junction of the timing cover, bank 1 and the block (front passenger side of engine) that WAS leaking and was sprayed with Dr. Melvill's Miracle Sealer (JK).

See that cast TAB with that brownish gook?- that is where it was leaking- so YES it was a bitch to clean, mask, and spray but it was worth it. I will watch that spot for leaks, but it was not a HIGH PRESSURE oil leak, just a nagging seep, but seeps add up over time, puddling onto the top of my skidplate and eventually to the garage floor- AAAARRRRGGGG!

Take care everyone! Easybake.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts