Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am about to install an electronic oil pressure gauge under the left vent. I can't understand why there is no stock gauge. The sender will be an easy hook to my by-pass filter. My question is; If a purchase a second sender could I plumb it into the fuel line to read fuel pressure? If this is possible I would have a dash switch for the two senders.

thanks in advance
caver Bob

·
Registered
467 Posts
Simple answer is yes. But oil pressure is going to use a gauge with maybe 100 psi at top end of scale and fuel pressure will be much higher than that. If you use an analog gauge that scales correctly for fuel pressure you will only use a small portion of the needle movement for oil pressure. A digital gauge would be easier to read but you would still have somewhat less sensitivity (because of the sender) when reading oil pressure.

Did a little research: Oil pressure for FJ can run up to 85 psi so you are looking at say a 0-100 psi gauge. Fuel pressure should be around 55 psi. That means the 0-100 psi range should be fine for both pressure readings. Just make sure that the sender that you use for fuel pressure is OK with gas. There may be different part numbers with the same sender OHM ratings for oil and gas pressure senders. If you haven't bought your gauges yet I would suggest that you look for ones that have an optional warning light feature. You could then wire the warning light to the selector switch for an indication of which sender is active.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

Not sure what the normal fuel pressure should be. But a lot higher than oil pressure for sure. Upwards of 100 psig I'm thinking. Someone will know.

·
Registered
947 Posts
return style used to only be around 40-50psi. Nowadays w/ returnless and direct injection, Im not sure anymore!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all,
I just checked the service manual. 41 psi is normal. The duel sender, one gauge idea should work?

thanks to all the replies

caver bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts