Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if synthetic oil (Mobil 1) has a shelf life, and how long it is? I want to stock up when it goes on sale but don't know if thats a good idea.

Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does anybody know if synthetic oil (Mobil 1) has a shelf life, and how long it is? I want to stock up when it goes on sale but don't know if thats a good idea.

Thanks

Five year maximum shelf-life for (Mobil 1)engine oils. I would play it safe and never use after 4 years... Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
Why would there be a shelf life for sealed containers? I just shake up the old bottle so that any additives that settled to the bottom are redispersed throughout.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
Thanks for the link. I wish they explained why.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Millions of years in the ground, but add something to it to make it better and reduce it to 5 years. Progress is weird that way, I guess (and yes, I know the stuff in the can performs better than the stuff at the wellhead)

·
Registered
647 Posts
There are microbial reasons for shelf life... Bacteria break down oils, as well as the addition of moisture over time. Obviously, when an oil is heated in the engine, it kills the bugs and drives off the moisture, but if it sits for a long time, the oil breaks down from the contaminants.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts