Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my ignorance, I'm not a mechanic.

I am thinking about installing my CAI, but I have one question:

What does 'oil the filter' mean? The instructions say nothing about 'oiling' the filter.

·
Registered
676 Posts
slow ur roll, follow the instructions and you should be OK. The filter that came wit the CAI should already be oiled, juss install it. Oiling the filter is done when you're cleaning it out after every-so miles or every-so runs. Good luck!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
slow ur roll, follow the instructions and you should be OK. The filter that came wit the CAI should already be oiled, juss install it. Oiling the filter is done when you're cleaning it out after every-so miles or every-so runs. Good luck!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
718 Posts
your filter should appear red in color, this is from the dye in the oil. there is oil on the filter to actually attract and trap dirt. once the filter becomes dirty you will need to wash it with a light degreaser such as dish soap, rense it well, and then let it dry. after its dry go buy some K&N filter lube and apply only to the outside of the filter (not the inside). apply very lightly but evenly. you dont want to over do this or you may suck oil onto the MAF sensor and cause a CEL error...then your ****ed. just go light on the oil when its time and youll be fine. I have had no problems with mine yet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your filter should appear red in color, this is from the dye in the oil. there is oil on the filter to actually attract and trap dirt. once the filter becomes dirty you will need to wash it with a light degreaser such as dish soap, rense it well, and then let it dry. after its dry go buy some K&N filter lube and apply only to the outside of the filter (not the inside). apply very lightly but evenly. you dont want to over do this or you may suck oil onto the MAF sensor and cause a CEL error...then your ****ed. just go light on the oil when its time and youll be fine. I have had no problems with mine yet.
I appreciate the help. Thanks.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Don't get the TRD Kit, it blows. You have a BOTTLE of oil and you have to put a bead on each tip and make sure that the bead goes down an oils everything...pretty annoying, I threw mine out and bought a K&N Air Filter kit since the oil in it is a spray can oil, a lot easier to apply, and the oil is red so you can tell if you over-oiled or under-oiled.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I just used the TRD kit and didn't think it blew. Pretty simple really. Spray on the solvent, rinse, let dry and oil. I agree the applicator bottle isn't the greatest, but that is easy to fix by just putting the oil into a pump oil can. You run a bead down the spine of each pleat, wait a half hour and look for the spots that aren't gold in color. Add a little extra drop to the dry spots and you're done. It was not as big a pain as I thought, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a Blitz SUS powerfilter. It is a stainless steel air filter and it is awesome.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How often does this need to be done?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dont do it very often, the instructions for most wet filters are to service and clean every 15-30K.

Also dont over oil or your MPG will drop and so will your performance.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Don't get the TRD Kit, it blows. You have a BOTTLE of oil and you have to put a bead on each tip and make sure that the bead goes down an oils everything...pretty annoying, I threw mine out and bought a K&N Air Filter kit since the oil in it is a spray can oil, a lot easier to apply, and the oil is red so you can tell if you over-oiled or under-oiled.
I just cleaned mine for the second time with the TRD kit. Then I used K&N cleaner and WOW! What a difference! The K&N cleaner removed more dirt the second time around after the TRD cleaner than the TRD cleaner removed the first time! The K&N spray-on oil is also much, MUCH easier to apply.

Love the TRD CAI, but their cleaner/oil kit pales to the K&N products.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Dont do it very often, the instructions for most wet filters are to service and clean every 15-30K.

Also dont over oil or your MPG will drop and so will your performance.
do it as often as you like, different drivers and different conditions require different cleaning cycles. if I think mine looks dirty I clean it. filter oil is about $15 and a K&N spray can will last for quite a few applications. ive been using reusable filters on my dirt bikes and street bikes for years. I always clean them more often than necessary because it doesnt hurt anything and can only help (as long as you clean the filter well and dont over oil).

the above quote is correct for various filters but I dont think it applies to my driving conditions in dusty dirty SoCal. i clean mine about every 5K miles.

·
Banned
338 Posts
I just cleaned mine for the second time with the TRD kit. Then I used K&N cleaner and WOW! What a difference! The K&N cleaner removed more dirt the second time around after the TRD cleaner than the TRD cleaner removed the first time! The K&N spray-on oil is also much, MUCH easier to apply.

Love the TRD CAI, but their cleaner/oil kit pales to the K&N products.
Good to know you tried out the K&N stuff. K&N and TRD\AFE filters are Cotton Gauze so it's safe to use either oil, but K&N kit's are cheaper and their cleaner is far better, and their spray oil is so much easier to use, and since it leaves a "RED" coat you can tell exactly where you have oiled :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If you don't want to mess with the oiled filters, go with the aFe ProDry, no oil... I just take it off and knock the dust out. (like a vacuum filter) The aFe filter can be used on the aFe CAI or TRD CAI.. TRD is made by the same people just rebranded.

·
Banned
338 Posts
If you don't want to mess with the oiled filters, go with the aFe ProDry, no oil... I just take it off and knock the dust out. (like a vacuum filter) The aFe filter can be used on the aFe CAI or TRD CAI.. TRD is made by the same people just rebranded.
Those are incredibly hard to find and apparently aFe doesn't make very many of them :(

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Those are incredibly hard to find and apparently aFe doesn't make very many of them :(
Check with Fjoel he's got a good contact. I think most of us that bought the aFe went with the ProDry but I also bought the standard (oiled one) but I never installed it. I just like the ProDry, easy maintenance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts