Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning on the way into work my steering went wonky. With about 2 miles left to work I had the wheel at a good 30 degree angle to keep the FJ going straight.

When I stopped to back into a parking space, I hear a good clunk, the drivers side drops a little and my tires are now rubbing badly. I pull into the parking spot and take a peak, the drivers side front wheel is all out of whack. I couldn't see any obviously broken parts so I called a tow truck. Destination, dealership.

Looking kinda sad:

I get a super duper Yaris loaner car and head back to work. Seriously, the Yaris sucks.

I get a call a few hours later for the run down. One of the knuckle arm bolts has broken causing the malfunction. I believe they're speaking of one of the bolts that goes in from underneath, holding the knuckle are to the lower control arm (please correct anything I screw up mechanically if you know better).

This has obviously caused other parts to fail, namely:
43502-60201: hub sub assembly
43570-60010: bearing assembly
43212-60200: steering knuckle

The dealer wants right about $1500 to fix her up. It'll take a few days (probably a week) and I get the privilege to drive around in a stylish Yaris hatchback.

A local guy here can get me the parts, however the dealer is saying there isn't an easy to way put it together and limp home. That would mean a tow truck, and it would probably be a good 50-60 mile tow job. I probably wouldn't end up saving much money doing it myself, maybe 2-300 bucks. It'd be a big pain in the ass for me too. I normally do all this kind of stuff myself.

Some background:
I have mods. Suspension was all redone about a month ago. OME kit, Light Racing UCA's. Prior to that I had a spacer kit. Alignment done by Firestone about 3 weeks ago which didn't really align much as far as I could tell, but I figured I'd give the lifetime alignment deal a go and see how it is. There are also wheel spacers on there, which I've had on for the winter (I wanted the clearance for snow chains if I needed them).

My questions:
How would that bolt break?

How much sh!t would they give me if I started asking about my warranty? FJ has almost 52k miles on it now. Prior warranty work includes the rear third member, from another dealer which is surely on my 'record'. I've never been to this dealer before.

Would Firestone have touched that bolt when doing the alignment? I want to say no, but asking just to be sure.

What about the dealer saying no easy way to limp home? Thoughts?

Thanks all :cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
yup
those bolts just don't break for any reason other than a reallly really hard hit of if they came loose. I would do a trail repair
If you have the skils, it can be done in a hour or so
Replacing knuckle no big deal Wheel housing has to come off anyway
special tools needed Jack stand, jack , 35-36 mm socket, 17 mm wrench 12 mm wrench, bfh, a piece of bailing wire to hold up the caliper, 19mm wrench flat head screw driver to pull the dust cap, pliers, a little grease and loctite to put it all back together . removed questions the bolt sheered in the spindle

they dealer probably will claim it wasn't tightened sufficiently after the lift install

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Thanks guys! Good input.

I installed the lift, and I own a torque wrench, and I use it. I'm also perfectly capable of screwing something up. If that's the case I can accept that.

Can you say for sure that an alignment should adjust those bolts? I might have a talk with the guys at Firestone if that's the case.

...if the Toyota dealer can produce a sheared/broken bolt, should I ask for a warranty claim? That bolt didn't perform as designed/required. The service rep said multiple times that the bolt broke, not that it was missing.

I'm pretty sure I'm capable of doing the work, but like I said, it's already at the dealer and I would have to have it towed again at my expense to get it off their lot... and I probably wouldn't save much money doing it myself.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
I don't think the alignment would have had any business with those bolts. They are not necessary to do an alignment. You sure can try a claim, but I would say it isn't a bolt problem, it backed out and broke from loose sheer pressure

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hey Jeff, I'm so sorry this happened. If there is anything I can do to help just let me know. There was a guy on the OR CL that had some parts you might need. He's on the nwfjcc forum his name is rosecityczar. You know my friend steve is a great mechanic and works for beer and jager.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No worries Forrest, it's being taken care of. I've been talking to rosecityczar (Larry) for parts, and I'm getting an axle from him, but I'm just going to let the dealer take care of the knuckle and bearing since it's already there. Driving the little loaner Yaris is also cheaper than getting out the big block while the fj is down. Thanks for the offer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts