Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello FJ'ers!! Well it's been sometime coming back.... and there are pleeenty of new owners out there I see. waaay cool :cool:. Which means maybe there is a solution to my needs already met!

I'm sure there's PLENTY of people towing with this cool little rig, so looking for some input on better visibility methods on pulling WIDE loads.

specs:
  • 18' boat
  • wide 8'2" birth
  • 3500 lbs after gear and all
  • CA law requires mirrors that allow visibility from trailing vehicle behind it

I'm looking for something that is stable against the stock mirror on the road and not give vibrations (so I can actually SEE objects in the mirror) and I need a solution that not only keeps the mirrors and truck stock but also simple to put on and take off. This is NOT an easy find for our mirrors :flame:.

For the last few years I've been using this product. it's by Reese (Premium Towing Mirror, Universal) i believe. It did ok the first season of towing, but it was my first and didn't have a reference point. After the first season, the mirror had developed vibrations going down the road... to the point you can't really identify objects, unless you stare, and now not so safe. its almost useless at that point. presently, the rubber straps that wrap the stock mirror are now weathered (odd, as they are NEVER used when NOT towing, so what gives?) and seem 'flaky' at best.

I think I've done a fair share of due diligence throughout the forum :lookaround:. a few people have mentioned the same mirror, such as here (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/trailers-towing-tech/106329-towing-mirrors.html) and a few more users have mentioned the CIPA product
there as well, which I haven't tried.

Note:
Not looking to blow a whole in my pocket and not exactly... well, skilled in fabrication. I won't replace motors, but am mechanically inclined.

Question 1:
any FJ'ers have a recommendation on tow mirrors for our rig they've had a good experience with?

Question 2:
anybody have any good luck with either of these products?

There is a thread on the multivex blindspot mirror I came across, and that drew some curiosity. When I've used these on other vehicles they seem more suited to, well... the blind spot of the vehicle and not so much distance behind a wide trailer. I haven't tried this particular product but sounds like a fair amount of satisfied customers for what they are used for. Just not sure if they can be good for towing.

Question 3:
are convex mirrors and/or the little $3 cheap blindspot circular mirrors useful in this capacity?

I checked out this thread of FJ towers and surprised not one (except the last post, he's got a looong trailer... and probably bought his mirrors in Finland :lol:) used any form of mirror extension or mod.

Now I did come across this thread/mod and thought B****IN MOD!! :rocker::cheers: Kudos FJ_Bruiser! you may have a marketable product on your hands!

Question 4:
Maybe something along the lines of FJ_Bruiser's mod on the market for FJ's? Maybe different full size truck mirror options? (Tundra I and II, Ford, Dodge, or what ever your preference).

ok, that was pretty winded and apologies, but let's get some feedback!!!
:wave:
:cheers:

FJ_Bruiser's MOD:

'12 Tundra tow mirror (can be had in all black as well):

Reese product (fuggedaboutit):

CPA product (thoughts?):

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
35,850 Posts
I was going to recommend a thread that I had read recently, but you already found FJ Bruiser's mod that he did. I don't recall any other mirror mods for towing, just the little round mirrors for the blind spots.

Those Tundra mirrors would be cool if they could be made to work. Extendable and about the same size as an FJ mirror.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far FJ_Bruiser's mod has the most appeal. I suppose with a careful step by step I might be able to pull that off. Of course it doesn't look cheap either. I suppose one could FAB up a setup for any of the full size mirrors.

:thinkerg:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Grand Aero Towing Mirrors from Costco. About $115 delivered. I have them and they work great. Takes 2 minutes per side to install and adjust. Pretty stable while towing, only a bit of shake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts