Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys I was outside messing with the FJ and found a couple things that have me slightly worried........can you tell me is this normal? if not how should I address the issues......check out the pics.

this is obviously up front.....see the wet spot....not leaking or dripping but is wet, ran my finger across it and it looks like grease or something...is that normal? other side is the same.

then noticed on top of my passenger side coil some rusting where the 2 top coils that touch are....is this normal?? can I do anything about it? I dont want this rusting through my coils are new

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
If the first pic is the CV boot, you may have a tear and this would need to be replaced. Is there any spots above this area that has oil/grease on them ??

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I honestly dont know about the first pic......is that the CV boot area?? like I said I check both sides(driver and passanger side and both look the same) both areas look wet....but no dripping or leaking, when I run my finger across the wet area it looks like grease or something

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I honestly dont know about the first pic......is that the CV boot area?? like I said I check both sides(driver and passanger side and both look the same) both areas look wet....but no dripping or leaking, when I run my finger across the wet area it looks like grease or something
Just had a look at mine. It is the CV boot area.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
i think Dragon once said his started leaking as such and he used a plastic tie to go around it to hold it. you might try that mod,

as far as the spring goes, just shoot some black paint into the spring area and keep an eye on it.. shouldn't be a big deal with the spring. with all the water we run through and all the washing we do it is no wonder we get rust on the underside like this. hope this helps

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
all i do all day is deal with rusty springs (leafs mainly, coils too), rusty u-bolts, rusty parts. they are all fine. it wont ever be more than surface rust for as long as you own the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
That looks like the CV boot to me. By the yellow strut it would appear you have a OME lift some have had grease come out of the boot after installing a lift. I have heard that the increased CV angle due to the lift and the stock band on the boot can cause leakage. Cut the stock band and put an adjustable hose clamps on them. I think there have been several people on this forum use this fix. I have the OME lift on my FJC and have been watching this closely so far no leakage but I will go to adjustable hose clamp soon just as a piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Looks fine as far as the spring. I would be a little concerned about the leak. I would take it to the dealer just in case.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here are more pics....

Drivers side

passangers side

close up shot of drivers side.....both sides look alike....again no leaking or dripping....just wet looking

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,388 Posts
Rust happens............

Clean the grease off with de-greaser and see if it comes back, it may have happened during your install. The joints can be cranked on pretty good during an install.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FJ so true....we cranked on it alot.....ok cleaned it off with some simple green....if it is an issue with the CV boots leaking how soon will I see? I guess I can check again tomorrow after my lunch break.....if I notice anything I can take straight to dealer.......should I just take it out for a drive tonight?

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,388 Posts
FJ so true....we cranked on it alot.....ok cleaned it off with some simple green....if it is an issue with the CV boots leaking how soon will I see? I guess I can check again tomorrow after my lunch break.....if I notice anything I can take straight to dealer.......should I just take it out for a drive tonight?
After a good drive just check it. If you have no visible tears/cracks in your boot and the bands are tight I would'nt worry about it too much.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
If you are still concerned with the rust on your C/O spring I used to take a dab of axle grease on my finger and push it in there on my old truck. Mine creaked a little during droop and this cured the creak and little bit of rust.......problem solved.

The CV joint is way out of my realm. Only thing I ever did with them was the pipe clamp fix and every couple of months spray them with a good rubber protectant. I never used Armour All though....Years ago I read that if you left it on without wiping off the excess it would actually rot. I switched to Mothers products at that point ....LOL....For all I know they are made in the same tank somewhere....lol....But it still makes me feel better.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
If the CV boot area isn't wet with oil, it might just be seepage of the assembly grease over time. Clean it off and continue to observe the area, and watch both sides. If oil starts to increase seepage, you could have a leaking axle seal, which should be replaced.

The rust on the coil spring where the rungs make contact is pretty normal. As the springs flex, the ends travel forward / backward a little, and eventually wears through the thin paint coating. It's only surface oxidation, nothing to be too concerned about - it rarely gets severe enough to cause a spring failure (just looks bad...).

Another option is to run the FJ through some sticky mud fields.

It won't repair a leaking seal, or eliminate coil surface oxidation, but it will coat them both thoroughly enough to where you'll no longer notice either problem...:rofl:

·
Registered
576 Posts
some seepage may be normal...remeber there operation at a different angle...if it doest stop put a hose clamp around it..just make sure it wont hit the boot

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so if it persisits I keep getting the add a hose clamp response........did you guys just cut the metal clamp circled in pic? oh and to the post above do you just spray armorall or mothers on the rubber portions to keep them soft? spray and leave to soak in basically?

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
ok so if it persisits I keep getting the add a hose clamp response........did you guys just cut the metal clamp circled in pic? oh and to the post above do you just spray armorall or mothers on the rubber portions to keep them soft? spray and leave to soak in basically?

Yes just cut it off and add hose clamp.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
The angle on the CV is causing a little CV grease
to seep under the boot, I have hand this, only a
little worse, and I have heard of others with the
same thing... IN my case, I repositioned my CV
clamps by undoing them and rotating them and
reclamping them... the clamps seemed to have
pressed a perminent impression in the one position
from the increased angle on them, and allowed
the grease to seep, by rotating them, they were
able to provide a little more pressure and I have
not seen any new seepage for 2-3 weeks now...

They second one, the spring is just rubbing at the
top on itself from the looks of it and should not be
an issue...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts