Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...well I was stupid and decide to hit my suicide doors up with Great Stuff without thinking...and I forgot that the lock mechanism is at the bottom...well, waddya know, the stuff got in there and jammed the lock, I was able to get the panel off from inside and get MOST of the great stuff out, but it's still jammed...does anybody know what can get rid of this stuff? On a good note the door is as solid as a rock now... :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Here's yer sign....

All kidding aside, you should be able to contact the manufacturer and quiz them about removal. They usually have an 800 number (most chemical companies do, in case of accidental poisoning by their products, for example). They should be able to tell you how to remove their product...

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Good Luck.. That stuff is just nasty. It's probably not as bad as the guy that "bed-linered" the inside of his wrangler and had to take a leak! However, his problem did eventually wear off.. Sorry.. It's just funny.. Ron

PS: Acetone.. but I didn't say that.. Don't smoke and hold on to your retina's

Ok...well I was stupid and decide to hit my suicide doors up with Great Stuff without thinking...and I forgot that the lock mechanism is at the bottom...well, waddya know, the stuff got in there and jammed the lock, I was able to get the panel off from inside and get MOST of the great stuff out, but it's still jammed...does anybody know what can get rid of this stuff? On a good note the door is as solid as a rock now... :lol:

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol. I SHOULD be able to scrape most of it off with a knife once I get in there and once my second-degree sunburn heals (if I go into the sun right now it feels like knives are being rammed into my back) anybody want a pic? :p, anyway, worst comes to worst I can spray it with some WD-40 then hit up most areas with a dremel with a sand bit...should fix it up enough. I've never used Acetone...isn't that supposed to be some dangerous stuff?

·
Registered
68 Posts
anyone ever thaught of filling the stock bumper with that great stuff?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Acetone is a solvent. Don't smoke or use it around open flame if you use it (and, make sure your work area is very ventilated).

I'm not really sure acetone will work on the dried foam, but it's worth a shot. It should clean your hands, if you didn't use gloves...

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
It's not very nice.. We started using Acetone, for cleaning X-ray equipment, when Benzene was banned in the 70's. In the 80's Acetone was also banned for such use. You don't want to get it on your skin or breath the vapors. Of course nobody told us and we used buckets of it with our bare hands. It binds with tobacco smoke and will cause detached retina's.. Ron

Lol. I SHOULD be able to scrape most of it off with a knife once I get in there and once my second-degree sunburn heals (if I go into the sun right now it feels like knives are being rammed into my back) anybody want a pic? :p, anyway, worst comes to worst I can spray it with some WD-40 then hit up most areas with a dremel with a sand bit...should fix it up enough. I've never used Acetone...isn't that supposed to be some dangerous stuff?

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Usually what happens when folks use this, is the part swells out like a balloon as the stuff expands. Ron

PS: Oh.. Another thing.. What doesn't fill with water floats, as mentioned earlier. You don't really want your vehicle to float; not much traction..

anyone ever thaught of filling the stock bumper with that great stuff?

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Acetone is a solvent. Don't smoke or use it around open flame if you use it (and, make sure your work area is very ventilated).

I'm not really sure acetone will work on the dried foam, but it's worth a shot. It should clean your hands, if you didn't use gloves...
I spent three hours last night using a dull blade cutting off the great stuff off my hands....so I'm good...I'll try Acetone, but there are electronics down there....won't that hurt them? And the idea of filling the bumper with Greatstuff...interesting...it would reinforce it to a great extent. Layering up your doors insides with it can also make it much harder to get a dent in there, as the great stuff or dynamat or whatever you have in there will absorb the blow while reinforcing the metal.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Somehow I missed the theory behind this experiment.

Just curious.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Oh great you post up your reason as I'm typing the ???

Sounds plausible..

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I spent three hours last night using a dull blade cutting off the great stuff off my hands....so I'm good...I'll try Acetone, but there are electronics down there....won't that hurt them? And the idea of filling the bumper with Greatstuff...interesting...it would reinforce it to a great extent. Layering up your doors insides with it can also make it much harder to get a dent in there, as the great stuff or dynamat or whatever you have in there will absorb the blow while reinforcing the metal.
Like I stated earlier, try calling the company that makes it. I'm sure they can tell if there's a chemical available to dissolve the foam (without damage to you or the FJ).

Seriously, are you just about finished with the sound-proofing experimentation yet? :thinkerg:

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh great you post up your reason as I'm typing the ???

Sounds plausible..
Are you talking to me? I was using great stuff as insulation to make the suicide doors far sturdier and sound-proof, only reason really. I just forgot that the friggin' lock mechanism is at the very bottom of the door... :(

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like I stated earlier, try calling the company that makes it. I'm sure they can tell if there's a chemical available to dissolve the foam (without damage to you or the FJ).

Seriously, are you just about finished with the sound-proofing experimentation yet? :thinkerg:
Hell yes. Once I get this great stuff crap outta the suicide doors I am DONE.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Hell yes. Once I get this great stuff crap outta the suicide doors I am DONE.
So, I guess the big question is..

Did it work??

Or are you driving around with your suicide doors open?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts