Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to cut the top off my fj...i have to do it!!!:cheers: what do you think should i just go for it? should i do like a have top or full?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Ill believe it when I see it. Take lots of pictures.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok....:rofl::rofl: it will be a long time!!!i whant to know how i should do it...have full???what els scould i do??help me out people...lol!

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Dude, I would go for a removable targa top.

I admire your "Must Do It" attitude!

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Do what should of been done in the first place, just the white area top should be a removable hard top. And mabey make the rear window removable also.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just got some new blades for the recip-saw come on over I'll chop it from the windshield back and get rid of the window frames too. It will look alittle like a 68-72 K5 Blazer!:lol:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Dude if u Do IT... im gonna do it too... u do have some huge balls man.. i would love to have a removeble HARDTOP, maybe you can fab something outta Fiberglass as a light hardtop and make a nice roll cage inside. look at this thing, wouldnt she look nicer without a top! someone photoshop this PLEASE!!
"GO TOPLESS"

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
photochop the two ideas you have in your head. Then present them in simple pictures with a one or two line description on each pic.

Have a 1 page outline/flowchart or the steps u need to do to achieve this.

Have a one page double spaced presentation., of the whys. Like this I how I got the idea, this is the reason I wanted to do it. Also what do you need do make this happen, what have you do so far and a finish date you would to shoot for completion.

Set up a presentation with many formants , on paper, emails, CD or DVD.

I market new inventions like tools and supplies to vehicle repair shops and the military.
I have many people coming to me with new things they want me to market.
That chart is the first steep ,Its not exact the real forms at work, I typed that off memory.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I wouldn't even dream of doing what you are considering. I say leave it be. Big balls usually mean bad decisions IMO.

It is your truck, so do what you want. IMO all the attempts to make the FJ a soft or removable top look like garbage. I'm also betting you will run into a world of problems down the road.

If I were you and I really wanted a soft top, I'd just wait for toyota to make one. Or throw on some tube doors... that looks great, it totally reversible, and will give you the open air ride you crave. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Two things come to mind.. First, drive a hardtop Jeep (TJ) around for awhile (i.e. rain and cold). Secondly, while nice riding around topless, the FJ would look like a bathtub or a jacuzzi on wheels.. Ron

im going to cut the top off my fj...i have to do it!!!:cheers: what do you think should i just go for it? should i do like a have top or full?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Measure twice, cut once. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
find one that is totaled in junk yard and practice on it to refine your process...before tackling your baby.

·
Registered
685 Posts

I LOOOOOOVE this one! I always hated the convertible conversions, but I think it's because the fj NEEDS the window frames to look right. Years ago (1990?ish) I helped a freind do an all metal hardtop convertible on a s-10 pickup. The biggest issue is rubber seals. The metal work to make the factory roof removable isn't all that hard. Reinforcing the stock body wouldn't be that hard either. The hardest part would be the back door (if we are talking hardtop--soft top wise the above pictures are perfect.) and of course, sealing the top to the body. Look at most homemade convertibles and you'll see multiple gaskets, globs of silicone, etc, all trying to stop the water. ANyone have any more pics of this fj? I'd love to find a website showing some in process pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts