Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again, I am prepping for the jungle. I need some really effective bug repellant that can get packed in luggage (checked) but take care of us for the long haul. I want something that we can put on in the morning and it will last till we get back to our room in the evening. Only need about 5 days worth of it so......

What do you guys recommend????:thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
Creative Nail Design Finishing Lotion.

It has grapefruit oil in it. They don't like the citrus stuff. However, test it at home first because I'm not sure if it will work on the big 'uns you'll encounter down there!

You'll have to re-apply it! :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
skin so soft spray by Avon. or any repellant that has DEET in it.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Creative Nail Design Finishing Lotion.

It has grapefruit oil in it. They don't like the citrus stuff. However, test it at home first because I'm not sure if it will work on the big 'uns you'll encounter down there!

You'll have to re-apply it! :)
Girl, we will bathe in it if it works!!!:bandit:

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
skin so soft spray by Avon. or any repellant that has DEET in it.
I have used the skin so soft many times! and Deet is the bomb!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I like skintastic by off. Works great and smells great (the regular brand off makes my sinuses go crazy)

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
When are you leaving? I have a 16-ounce bottle.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
REI sells a 98% DEET product called "Jungle Juice" that works great, but be careful where you spread it because it will melt some vinyl and plastic products (including ground cloths and plastic sunglass lenses) and will act as a solvent on certain printed material. ;)

It costs $6 for 2oz and $7.50 for 4 oz. Four ounces should be more than enough for two people for 5 days anywhere. I used it in Alaska at Denali National Park during the summer when the mosquitos were as thick as fog and didn't get a single bite. You can find it at any REI store or buy it online here: Jungle Juice.

However, if the bugs are really thick, it helps to also have a bug net that will fit over your hat and close around your neck below the top button of your shirt. You can get that at REI too: Bug Net.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
As SwingShift said, REI Jungle Juice is good stuff. We use it all the time, and it is definately worth the extra price. Be careful though with any bug spray when spraying or applying to your skin. I melted the painted numbers off of a brand new Luminox watch after spraying some OFF!. I think that also there was a forum member that mentioned having some discoloration of his dash after applying bug spray in the FJ.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know it's probably been said before but DEET DEET DEET.

In upstate new york bugs are everywhere, mosquitoes, black flies ... ect ... DEET did wonders. Smells like *insert bad word here* but it's worth it's weight in gold when your in the bush.

Good Luck and stay bit free! :)

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When are you leaving? I have a 16-ounce bottle.
Mo, we fly out on August 16th. I am trying to exhaust all my resources here (because they all ROCK) to try to think of everything. Being a Mom and the wife, I am just a list freek that tries to think of all the details. Poor hubby, he works aalllllll the time so I need to try to take care of the details.:cheers:

·
Registered
226 Posts
ya jungle juice is great and also there is stuff called ben's bug repllent or ben's max repllent something like that but it is 100% deet it will and and have some ill effects on some items like the jungle juice and i would watch the little ones with any high powered bug spray as they can be more likely to get a rash

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Deet seems the popular opinion but I think that stuff'll peel paint (and dry the skin)...

I'm a firm believer in Burts Bees Herbal Insect Repellant. It's a 100 percent natural and it works amazingly. Even standing on a pier over marshland on the fourth, not a single bite on me or the kidlets.

It's got citronella and rosemary as well as cedar in it. It's strong smelling but still "pleasant" and the bonus is its a vitamin e based oil so if you catch a slight burn it will help it instead of sting it.

I think Target even carries it now.
I will have to look at that one and test it out here in NOLA before we go. I believe if it can stand up to New Orleans skeeters, then it will work in the jungle!:rocker:

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
I like the idea of using Burt's Bees stuff. Deet scares me. Thanks AVN....:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
DEET is great. But at the end of the day it is primarily a repellent. There is a better chemical called permethrin. This stuff actually kills when bug land on it as well as being a repellent. Its safe to everything else except cats. The military uses it on their fabrics because it will lasts for a week or more, including multiple washings.

The one hitch, it has not been released for use on skin. There are a number of studies that show it is safe, but still... not released for skin. So I put it on my shirt, pants or shorts, shoes socks and hat, then use deet on the exposed skin.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Because of the size of the DEET molecule, it can be absorbed into the bloodstream. 3M makes a microencapsulated lotion that resists absorption by making the molecules too big to pass through the skin.

I think that it is called 3M Ultrathon Lotion...or something like that. It may be a safer, less toxic solution for those that want to use DEET, but are concerned about its affects on HUMANS.
:)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
This question is in my alley I think. There are a lot of good products out there but the active ingredients on most is still the DEET which was created by the military for the soldiers it may be stink when it is in high dosage but nothing works like it especially when you face yourself with the blood sucking disease givers in the jungle. I'll say get yourself a couple of Oz.Off Deep woods has the highest DEET percentage and enjoy your trip. Because it is a pump spray versus aerosol you could even take it with you since it is only Oz. It is a blue bottle most stores will have them.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
This question is in my alley I think. There are a lot of good products out there but the active ingredients on most is still the DEET which was created by the military for the soldiers it may be stink when it is in high dosage but nothing works like it especially when you face yourself with the blood sucking disease givers in the jungle. I'll say get yourself a couple of Oz.Off Deep woods has the highest DEET percentage and enjoy your trip. Because it is a pump spray versus aerosol you could even take it with you since it is only Oz. It is a blue bottle most stores will have them.
That is 1 Oz.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts