Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Premium Member
5,737 Posts
I use to be a big fan of REI Jungle Juice since I first used it in the early 80s.
I used it for many a year afterwards, but no more.

DEET is not the best for you, and as mentioned, it can melt nylon sleeping bags and other stuff.

A few months back I did an extensive online search for some good stuff, and I read up on Cutters Advanced.
Cutter Advanced Picaridin Insect Repellent

I bought a can of the aerosol stuff, but have not tried it yet.
Cutter Advanced Sport Insect Repellent - 6 oz. from REI.com

Also available in a smaller bottle.
Cutter Advanced Sport Insect Repellent - 2 oz. from REI.com

The main ingredient in it which is suppose to keep the bugs at bay is Picaridin.
The military is even looking into this as an alternative to DEET.

· Registered
1,592 Posts
I have this from Cabelas and it worked great this year at Rubithon.. I Believe it is designed to used for huinters in a blind but it worked great out in the open air.. The nice part about it is you do not have to spray any thing on you.. Of course I used off in cobination with this.. But everyone laughed at me when I first brought it out and after about ten minutes of having it on, the bugs were almost gone from us.. Not sure if this will work for you where your going but I simply enjhoy this product and feel it works great...

Cabela's -- ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent

· Formerly FJ_Marine
9,305 Posts
DEET is great. But at the end of the day it is primarily a repellent. There is a better chemical called permethrin. This stuff actually kills when bug land on it as well as being a repellent. Its safe to everything else except cats. The military uses it on their fabrics because it will lasts for a week or more, including multiple washings.

The one hitch, it has not been released for use on skin. There are a number of studies that show it is safe, but still... not released for skin. So I put it on my shirt, pants or shorts, shoes socks and hat, then use deet on the exposed skin.
If you use this makes sure to spary clothing before you put it on and to allow it to completely dry.

Skin so Soft and rubbing alcohol 50/50 mix in a spray bottle.

Deep Woods Off, used it for the six years I lived in Beaufort, SC to deal with sand fleas.

Edit: Eat lots of Garlic and take Garlic pills. It will help keep bugs AND people away, lol.

· Premium Member
5,258 Posts
I also like the Picardin based products, they work just as well as DEET. Personally, I wouldn't put DEET on my kids unless I had nothing else.

I've also used the Repel product that is lemon-eucalyptus which works very well but some don't like the strong smell and it does not have as long life as the Picardin or DEET products.

· Kajun Kim
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks folks!!! I am taking notes and getting ready.... Costa Rica, we are coming and we will be prepared.

· Registered
7,531 Posts
Thanks folks!!! I am taking notes and getting ready.... Costa Rica, we are coming and we will be prepared.
Have fun in Costa Rica! They carry a spray called jungle juice that works well. I'm not sure It will last the whole day thru, I sweat alot and that will reduce its effectiveness! Be preparred to sweat! the humitity and heat index their is unreal! Have a great time! By the way, Christine, my wife and I tried that Skin so soft one night, and all the insects that did land on us seemed to get stuck and wiggle around on our skin!

· Premium Member
705 Posts
I like bullfrog,sunscreen/no bug combo. An I think it's DEET free.
The bugs dont bite ya when covered in DEET
Cause ya aint fit to eat:lol:

BirdMan

· Registered
469 Posts
I always take at least two different types of repellant if I know I'll be in a big group.

If the bugs are really bad, and everyone is using the same thing, it doesn't seem to be as effective. This sounds horrible, but if I use an effective repellant that is different, somehow that always seems to be more effective.

My personal preference is 3M Ultrathon, lasts all day. My wife prefers the Cutter wipes as it is easier to control application.

· Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I love the outdoors and spend every moment I can away from the IT server room of hell. I don't know what I hate more tho - bugs or the horrible scent of bug spray. If you'd happen to prefer a natural repellent with a far better scent, I'd recommend the following:

Mix 1 teaspoon of soybean oil (available from most grocery stores) and one quarter of a teaspoon of Palmolive brand liquid soap into one cup of water. Mix well and spray onto your arms and legs and wipe on your face and neck. A small water sprayer can be purchased in the health and beauty section of most department stores for about $2.00.

It works well for me (about 5 hours of protection). :bigthumb:

Howls,
FJ Wolf

· Premium Member
1,055 Posts
shoot man, you're in the jungle. schlack on some bbq sauce and get savage.
Hell, that's all I need. It'd be my luck I'd lather up with a little K.C. Masterpiece and some bear or nasty fat chick on a hoveround would chase me down and eat me...

Well, at least I could outrun the Hoveround. :bigthumb:

Howls,
FJ Wolf

· Kajun Kim
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I really appreciate all you guys thoughts!! I am starting to get really pumped with figuring out what I can take and what will be the best. I have found some really cool gear so far and I am listening, really I am...

· Premium Member
924 Posts
permethrin, trust me you cannot spray directly on you but you should spray your clothes beforehand or soak you clothes in it then let dry for all exposed skin I highly recommend deet. This is what we did in the jungles of Panama....

· Full -N- Down
750 Posts
I've tried them all and you can't beat DEET. Skin-so-soft, Vitamin B for a couple days before camping, dryer sheets, Eucalyptus oil etc. etc. etc. Nothing works like good ol DEET. I usually use the military issue stuff, but if you can't find that the REI variety or Ben's 100 is the next best thing. It's comes in bright orange packages and although it claims to be %100 deet it is really only about %95. As mentioned earlier, DEET melts plastic so be careful when applying it.

Not sure which jungle you are going to, but if malaria is a concern you should look into prophylaxis early because most need to be taken a couple days before travel and continued for several days to weeks after.

· Kajun Kim
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I got some Deet this weekend. It is in our "to go" bag. Thanks folks!!!

· Kajun Kim
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I gotcha. Skin so Soft is some good stuff though. I think that the hubby would kick somebody's bootie before he would let them take me though...........

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.