Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so, yeah, I really do need to get the body mounts chopped (anyone know anyone reliable in denver/golden/boulder who's done it before? I don't own a plasma cutter or welder, etc).

And, yeah, my procomps have a slightly different backspacing than my original TRD wheels.

And, yeah, I've replaced the springs/shocks/struts/upper control arms/upper & lower rear links.

And, yeah, squeaks and such are normal. I alost LIKE them.

But today, while driving back from Aspen to Boulder, I noticed something new:

- at low speeds ( <10 mph), stopping AND starting generate a bang/ding sound, almost certainly from both front wheel wells.

- It MIGHT happen at higher speeds as well, but I wouldn't/can't/don't know due to noise issues.

- several stops (breckenridge, silverthorn, idaho springs, golden) spent checking for loose nuts, out of place brake lines (since the sound occurs only when brakes are engaged OR released and only at low speed), etc revealed Nothing. Nada. Zip.

- Some lube at various pivots points changed nothing.

- My sway bar collars are intact (by feel, anyway; I have the CNC machined Allpro ones which I plan to install on the outer edge of that part of the chassis, leaving the original, weaker links on the inside where they started).

- NO obvious issues visible. HOURS spent looking.

- Only issue: rubber/synthetic material inside bottom joint of front OMEs (where the yellow meets the metal, so to speak) appears to be degraded, but jumping up & down on front of vehicle has no apparent ability to generate noise.

When I stoped in Idaho Springs, I came REALLY cose to just driving around until I found AthenaCeleste & hubby's FJ to ask for help, but it was getting dark. Oh well.

Brakes work fine, so I do NOT think this is a brake issue (although I AM now prompted to buy & install stainless brake lines...).

Total mileage is only 15k.

SO WTF?????

Any ideas?

Anyone want to come over and stick their head inside my wheel well while I strt and stop at low speeds? ( :lol: )

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I had a noise when i did similar things. I checked stuff for hours. It ended up being that when i switched my set of wheels the lugs did not seat properly. And the noise was because they were loose.

Make sure you aren't over looking the really simple stuff. I had my cousin helping me to pinpoint exactly where the noise was coming from as well. Doing this may help isolate exactly where the noise is coming from.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Well good luck finding the noise, I know it can be frustrating. If you don't find it by the time the FJSummit comes around, I'll ride along with you and hang out the door to see if I can help you find the noise. I have decent directional hearing, so I am pretty good at finding noises. I've done it on mine and others. Every noise seems to be different though, so I can't really guess what your problem is. Especially considering you seem to have checked the top five things on my list.

Good luck man. You seem to have checked everything I would have. The only thing I can think of is to try jacking up each front side and see if there is any contact at compression.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Ok, so, yeah, I really do need to get the body mounts chopped (anyone know anyone reliable in denver/golden/boulder who's done it before? I don't own a plasma cutter or welder, etc).

And, yeah, my procomps have a slightly different backspacing than my original TRD wheels.

And, yeah, I've replaced the springs/shocks/struts/upper control arms/upper & lower rear links.

And, yeah, squeaks and such are normal. I alost LIKE them.

But today, while driving back from Aspen to Boulder, I noticed something new:

- at low speeds ( <10 mph), stopping AND starting generate a bang/ding sound, almost certainly from both front wheel wells.

- It MIGHT happen at higher speeds as well, but I wouldn't/can't/don't know due to noise issues.

- several stops (breckenridge, silverthorn, idaho springs, golden) spent checking for loose nuts, out of place brake lines (since the sound occurs only when brakes are engaged OR released and only at low speed), etc revealed Nothing. Nada. Zip.

- Some lube at various pivots points changed nothing.

- My sway bar collars are intact (by feel, anyway; I have the CNC machined Allpro ones which I plan to install on the outer edge of that part of the chassis, leaving the original, weaker links on the inside where they started).

- NO obvious issues visible. HOURS spent looking.

- Only issue: rubber/synthetic material inside bottom joint of front OMEs (where the yellow meets the metal, so to speak) appears to be degraded, but jumping up & down on front of vehicle has no apparent ability to generate noise.

When I stoped in Idaho Springs, I came REALLY cose to just driving around until I found AthenaCeleste & hubby's FJ to ask for help, but it was getting dark. Oh well.

Brakes work fine, so I do NOT think this is a brake issue (although I AM now prompted to buy & install stainless brake lines...).

Total mileage is only 15k.

SO WTF?????

Any ideas?

Anyone want to come over and stick their head inside my wheel well while I strt and stop at low speeds? ( :lol: )

awww I wish you would have found us..we could of helped you out. Funny thing is that we had the same problem...well sorta.. one of our ome shocks came off and we lost that rubber bushing. We drove over 100 miles to the Miller Rock trail not knowing that the shock was up in our wheel well..though we did notice the suspension was not level (duh!!!) we couldn't find any car shop open on Sunday...fortunately all the trail peeps met up at a hardware store that was open and we got to small pieces of radiator hose with different diameters and used that as a bushing for the time being..guh. I did notice alot less noise once we fixed it..before the incident the fj was always makin noise..

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
another thought is you might have slack in the drive shaft for it to clunk with breaking and accelerating.. we have the same problem

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Do you have the All Pro sway bar links, they make plenty of noise.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Do you have the All Pro sway bar links, they make plenty of noise.
No kidding, about the noise from the links. I'm about to change them back out to the stockers, now that I've got the steel collars installed on the sway bar.

Ditto the comment about the u-joints. I'd check those for play, definitely...

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts
Good luck on the hunt, past expierences for have taught me that where you think the noise is coming from is never where it is really coming from.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
There are a couple of sources of clunk sounds to think about which tend to occur at the transition between drive and coast. Could this be the timing? The reason I ask is that this transition is most noticable at low speeds. If you have a lot of ring/pinion gear backlash or a tooth failure, you'll feel it. My experience is that it's most pronounced in the transitions back and forth from coast to drive.

Another issue I had which I noticed in this same transition was when the holes wallowed out which took the eye bolts in my rear lower links. I had to rebuild the frame end captures in thicker plate.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, further inspection has suggested that part of the issue is a missing bolt (damn you, loctite!) in the center budbuilt skid, allowing it to move fwd/back on accel/deccel. And then some tightening of the remaining bolts helped. Since I'm taking her in for service tomorrow anyway, They're going to go over every little thing and check for issues (drivetrain, brakes, etc). Sure it'll be fixed. Lots of loctite in my future, though, I think.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
spray some white lithium grease into the swaybar mounts (frame mount location). I get an INSANE amount of squeek from that sucker.

Other than that, race truck suspensions make race truck noises :rocker:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
spray some white lithium grease into the swaybar mounts (frame mount location). I get an INSANE amount of squeek from that sucker.
Are you running replacement sway bar collars? If so, that turned out to be the source of my sway bar squeaking (the steel collars rub against the rubber bushing, and I end up having to spray liberally with silicone spray every month or so)...

But yeah, the squeaking drives me nuts too, when the rubber bushings run dry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts